Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refresh rate problem? i dont know...

Options
  • 18-05-2004 2:02pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Im having a problem with a new computer in work. Its a P4 2.6, 512mb but with an inbuilt graphics card.

Basically, every time I move a window, the screen is flickering, like the fps is dropping. Its like in a game when your computer isnt good enough to run it at a high resolution or something. If I check the processes, they are peaking at 95%+ every time I move a window around. This is in all applications, even moving windows explorer or simply scrolling down through a web page.

Im stumped, any1 got any ideas?

cheers

Dar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You patch it up and check for viruses dar?
    Most new pcs, with XP etc, when connected to the net for the first time will get all sorts of crap if not patched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If its a new computer, just do a clean install of windows on it. There would be nothing worth keeping on it, and that would definately solve the problem

Then just install a proper firewall BEFORE you connect it to the net, otherwise you'll get a virus within 30 seconds (literally). I recommendkerio as its completely free, unless you want to buy the advanced features, which to be perfectly honest, aren't really that great.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

the computer is newish but has just been wiped, so thats not it. And I noticed the problem before even connecting to the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

have you installed graphics card drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Is it a tft monitor,if so it might not be at it's recommended res.:confused:

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I did an experiment and put in a gf2 mx. made no difference, so I dont think its a graphics card issue. ive used the monitor on another computer so its not a problem with the monitor either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by dardoz
    I did an experiment and put in a gf2 mx. made no difference, so I dont think its a graphics card issue. ive used the monitor on another computer so its not a problem with the monitor either
    did you install the drivers for the gf2 mx?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

do you get the problem @ lower resolutions also?
    have you the vendor supplied (up to date) drivers installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sounds like the drives for the card are not installed and its just using windows default ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

It may be the monitor drivers. Make sure the computer is not using (default monitor). Try using plug and play monitor as the drivers and set the refresh rate to 60hZ. {this assumes you are running a CRT monitor}

If that fails download the latest drivers for the onboard graphics card and install them.

If all this fails make sure no screen capture programs are running.

You could also use windows update to make sure all system devices are using the latest drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement