Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boolean Algebra

• 18-05-2004 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

I think this is probably the best forum for this, since there's no real electronics forum.

I've got an exam in this stuff @ 9.30 tomorrow so I'm pretty desperate at this stage...

Wondering how do you draw a truth table for a ciruit whose boolean equation is:
    x = (a+ b)(a[+]c)
    ^
    |
    xor

Think it goes something like, not sure what goes under the X(of course):

A B C X
    0 0 0
    0 0 1
    0 1 0
    0 1 1
    1 0 0
    1 0 1
    1 1 0
    1 1 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

The truth table for that function looks like this (I hope - also, I'm guessing you mean [+] represents the xor)
    A B C X
    0 0 0 0
    0 0 1 0
    0 1 0 0
    0 1 1 1
    1 0 0 1
    1 0 1 0
    1 1 0 1
    1 1 1 0

Learning this example off is not going to be much good for exam purposes if you don't understand how to derive a truth table...

Try to decompose the function into simple parts - in this case the function evaluates to true iff

(a OR b) AND (a XOR C)

is true.

Think of (a OR b) and (a XOR C) as two new terms - lets call them i = (a OR b) and j = (a XOR c). Try writing a new truth table with those two intermediate steps in there, and then use (i AND j) to get your result x.
    A B C I J X
    0 0 0 0 0 0
    0 0 1 0 1 0
    0 1 0 1 0 0
    0 1 1 1 1 1
    1 0 0 1 1 1
    1 0 1 1 0 0
    1 1 0 1 1 1
    1 1 1 1 0 0

I do hope that helps - good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Hey,
    That's great.. I understood truth tables ok, but was confused how XOR is used and also with one input being used twice.
    I actually now understand it. Tried another example and got it out alright using D & E (you used I & J as eg).

thanks for the help, really do appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What does the XOR term mean, I haven't seen it used in the past? Does it stand for the exclusive OR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Boston
    What does the XOR term mean, I haven't seen it used in the past? Does it stand for the exclusive OR.

Yep its exclusive OR

Advertisement