Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

modern Classics

• 18-05-2004 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Just wonderin what you guys think about this. What films released in the past 3-5 years will stand the test of time and in 20- 30 years time will be remembered like Clockwork orange or Taxi driver?

I think these will be:

LOTR trilogy
    Donnie Darko
    Kill Bill (vol 1 more than Vol 2)
    Memento
    American Beauty
    Irreversible
    28 Days later (probaly won't but I would like it to be)
    The Sixth sense
    American Psycho (same with 28 days later)

I like to dissect women. Did you know i'm utterly insane

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't quite think the Sixth Sense has enough going for it to stand the test of time (it's basically all about the twist). Irreversible was too low of a run to feature as well and Kill Bill isn't quite a Pulp Fiction enough to merit being a classic. 28 Days Later and American Psycho are extremely unlikely to pass the test of time.

The rest .. might. That's because they're cult classics. That means you'll also probably get to include "The Matrix" and "Fight Club" in that list of remaining titles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd actually say that 28 Days Later and American Psycho would be cult-classics given enough time.

Spirited Away should become muchos classic at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

the matrix tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

The Matrix and especially Fight Club will be considered classics in the next 20 years,
    Snatch as well will stand the test of time, i can see that being considered the best british film ever made.

I dont think the Sixth Sense would though, i could possibly see spider-man being up there with the Original Batman Film.

There are a lot more, but we'll just have to see in 20 years or so.

P.S Good Tread, Buck!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Classics - LOTR and Memento

I've already forgotten American Beuty, 28 Days Later and The Sixth Sense

American Psycho was pants (only cuz the book is pants)

Donnie Darko will be a "cult classic" (maybe)...has anyone seen Brewster McCloud that film reminds me of Donnie Darko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Definitly momento, lotr, matrix ... will be considered classics ... all for different reasons

American Beauty deserves to as well .... hated it originally ... but saw it recently and was hugely impressed with it

and I've a feeling that Being John Malkovich will do well over time .... ( not that it particularily desrves to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Archvillain

guys... Se7en???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

what about Transformers the movie?

what the phuck is this, playtime in jellybean creche? Don't any of you watch big person films?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Snatch as well will stand the test of time, i can see that being considered the best british film ever made.

Look I'm sorry but Snatch will never ever be considered the best British film ever made.

I'm right.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Originally posted by carpocrates
    what about Transformers the movie?

what the phuck is this, playtime in jellybean creche? Don't any of you watch big person films?

sure!

right!

ok!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by weemcd
    the matrix tbh

As much as I enjoyed the first Matrix film, would anyone else agree with me that the incredibly naff sequels have killed any chance the film had for being considered classic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    would anyone else agree with me that the incredibly naff sequels have killed any chance the film had for being considered classic?

Jaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yea, i didnt bother watching the 3rd one cause I heard is even sucked more than the second one.

of the movies Buck Owens mentioned, I dont think any of em will make it into classics apart from LOTR. I did like Donnie Darko and 28 days later though, Id say they may become something more of a cult feature like Karl Hungus was saying.

I think most of my favourite hollywood movies come from the 80's.
    Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens, Conan the Barbarian, 2001 space oddesy(so much kubrick stuff), Platoon, Salvador(so much good stone stuff), Terminator, Baron Munchausen, Brazil(good gilliam stuff), and so many other great films. I havnt seen many movies lately that I rank this high, apart from maybe Fear and Loathing, Ichi the killer, Dolls, La Haine, and some other non-hollywood flicks. For me Hollywood hasnt been producing quality films like it used to, ok well we have the big lebowsky and some other good stuff but all in all favourite new stuff is now either Japanese / European / Auzzy, whatever, but not much of the american stuff Is taking my fancy. Its particurly dissapointing cause some of those late 70's - 80's early 90's hollywood flicks are amongst my favourite ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'd say The Usual Suspects would be one movie that'll stand the test of time.
    I still enjoy watching it, even though I know the twist.
    From the OP's list, Memento and American Beauty are the only stand out ones there, possibly LOTR too (in the sense that they'll be considered classics in 30 years, they're very well made but I don't know about the "classic" factor).

Advertisement