Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3.5ghz services

Options
  • 18-05-2004 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

I've heard this evening that eircom are offering broadband connections over 3.5ghz equipment in Limerick, Caherdavin area. €450 for CPE gear, €165 for install, €50/month, 512k/64k 8G cap.

Anyone know anything more about this? Does eircom still hold 3.5ghz spectrum that they can use for this?

/edit: Oh and they apparently already have 10 people using it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Odd. According to the adsl.ie page, the Caherdavin exchange is DSL-enabled. Trial maybe?

Is €450 the going rate for such equipment? Seems a bit pricy for someone (ie me) who was hoping that wireless BB would allow me to dump the landline and asociated costs some time in about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It could be a trial, I just don't know. 450 does seem pretty steep, for other 3.5ghz services ive seen prices of ~200 max for CPE, for the wisp buying (presumeably in bulk).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An 8G cap at those prices? they mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

This should have been available some 4 years ago and should be available to over 20% of the land area of the state by now. Far more widespread than ADSL in other words. Their licence does not allow them to selectively offer it in one area and not another.

This system should be available in 11 counties by now. Comreg will tell you if your area has 3.5Ghz service from Eircom. They have all the service maps . Comreg enforcement of the Eircom 3.5Ghz licence conditions has been grossly inept , even by the normal low Comreg standards.

I suspect that Eircom can charge what they like for the cpe/install but the cost per month should be the same as ADSL with the same package more or less, incl Caps and contentions.

They have as much spectrum as all the rest of the 3.5ghz carriers together ISTR , this is most likely a predatory move to mop up their potential customer base before they launch in Limerick (that would be IBB and Leap) . Are they offering it first where the exchange is too small for DSL kit, being a concentrator not an exchange by any chance ? I thought some of Caherdavin had no BB .

Its a sneaky move because it seems as if they are loading the exchange upgrade cost onto the customer via the CPE costs and sneaky because it is in a multiple licence area. Expect a 'trial' in Knocknacarra in Galway so.

There would also be a rump of pissed off Chorus BB customers to be serviced of course !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

All,

Service launched about 2 weeks ago. If anybody is after coverage areas etc. give me a bell.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Service launched about 2 weeks ago. If anybody is after coverage areas etc. give me a bell.

ding-a-ling

Whats the flash then and what areas are covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by gombín
    All,

Why aren't Eircom advertising them openly?

Originally posted by SkepticOne

Couldn't tell you to be honest.

Regards.

Originally posted by bealtine
    ding-a-ling

Whats the flash then and what areas are covered?

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

{QUOTE}

I guess the MI6 department withing eircom doesnt want anybody to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bealtine
    {QUOTE}

I guess the MI6 department withing eircom doesnt want anybody to know.
    Maybe they want to use boards.ie as a free sales channel and source of free market research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Well its not quite ADSL and and is not as widely used an access path as POTS ISDN and Leased Line (they should also be available if the Asymettric product is ) so the Sales Staff probably haven't been trained up properly on it.

Either ring 1800512128 and escalate to supervisor or else ring 1800501502 and be prepared to escalate to a supervisor as well.

Somebody in there must know about it :D I'd hardly call Moriarty a "sales channel" for Eircom

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Perish the thought. :)

Advertisement