Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next U.S President

Options
  • 18-05-2004 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Who do you think will be the next President of The United States?

Though I feel alot of voters won't vote this year, I feel as though Bush will win so the next president after Bush I feel and hope will be Guiliani...may be wishful thinking that he'll run, John McCain may be in with a shout, I feel Hillary will be totally discredited by then as over recent years lying has become more frequent from her..really stupid lies aswell not even about Politics...hell not even about Bills flailing Labido! about who she was named after and where her daughter was during the september 11th attacks!??! Why even bother!?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I think you're getting abit ahead of yourself there, its impossible to guess who the 2008 president will be, its hard enough to guess who it will be next year. It firstly depends on who wins this year, then it depends on how they do, who wants to run, who wins the caucuses (this year proved that the safe bet isnt always the best one), then it depends what the people think.

And I disagree about your view on absentee voting, if there is anything decent Bush has done its made people more aware of politics, probably because they had to be,

The anti-bush will be doing their best to get him out, and normal non-voters will not take the chance this time
    pro-bushers will be keen to show their support and make sure he stays in, they know the large opposition building against him and will make sure they have a part in blocking it.

I predict a high voter turn out this year in the US, although I might be simplifying things, and I might be way off

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I'd disagree I feel that many right wing people and conservatives will opt not to vote this year because Bush has not really done a satisfactory job as president during his time in office but they will not vote for Kerry because he is a liar...with the whole SUV thing plus his phony war injury and the book he wrote that suspiciously got pulled from the shelves after only being sold for a week or so.

Three Options vote for: Un-satisfactory , A Liar or staying at home with a beer and womens wrestling on ESPN! Hell Yeah! (not too sterotype or anything)

well they could always vote for Nader.

And because politics have become so polarised in recent times over there, I can see the people you describe voting for someone.

If they dont vote for Kerry just because of a gaff on SUV's and because he embelished on a war wound they should be banned from voting from then on, politicians lie, the trick is to find the one that lies the least and vote for them.

oh, and:
    staying at home with a beer and womens wrestling on ESPN

the beer swilling chovanistic sports fans are likely to vote for Bush, not 'too stereotype' or anything :rolleyes:

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

He wrote a book about his experience in Vietnam and other Vets came out and said the book was all lies... plus he's had a string of obvious lies...its not even the lies its the fact that he actually contradicts his own lies, plus theres also the fact that he want to buddy up with the likes of France which alot of Americans wouldn't like even ones who disagree with Bush.

I never heard of such a book tbh, got a link?

As for contradicting his own lies, all I can think of is the SUV thing, which has been feasted upon by Bush, but it means fúck all in reality.
    I'm not trying to blow the horn of Kerry, but I'd rather him than Bush.

Oh, and why wont Americans support ties with France? Only hardline pro-war heads wanted to boycott them, and Bush has hardly ignored them since Iraq, he cant afford to be so arrogant anymore.
    And Kerry doesnt want to 'buddy up' to France, or anyone, he just says he wants to gain worldwide support for the War on Terrorism, which is something Bush destroyed when he attacked Iraq

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Magnolia_Fan
    He wrote a book about his experience in Vietnam and other Vets came out and said the book was all lies... plus he's had a string of obvious lies...its not even the lies its the fact that he actually contradicts his own lies

Whatever he might say in his memoirs he did win two Silver Stars for bravery in combat, one for rescuing a wounded comrade under enemy fire. That shows physical courage. After his military service he campaigned against the war despite being a decorated veteran of that war which I believe shows moral courage. Whatever you might think of his ablities & policies those are undeniable facts about John Kerry

What was Bush, the future Chickenhawk-in-Chief, doing around that time? Going AWOL from reserve duty and picking up drunk driving convictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I hope its George Bush, he has shown to be an excellent president in time of war and America needs another strong US president to fight the war and terror on one hand and keep the US ecomony going on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    I hope its George Bush, he has shown to be an excellent president in time of war and America needs another strong US president to fight the war and terror on one hand and keep the US ecomony going on the other.

Wow, 'cos he's done so well on both counts. :rolleyes:

Actually, that may have been sarcasm, but I digress. He's alienated the rest of the world (except for Tony Blair) with the War on Terror, and presided over the wost job losses in the last 50 years. Top job. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by flogen
    Assuming that Magnolia_Fan isn't referring to "A Call For Service: My Vision of a blah blah blah" (why can't these people have shorter book titles), it's probably "The New Soldier" we're thinking of (credited to John Kerry & Vietnam Veterans Against The War & apparently published in 1971).

I don't know diddly about this book but I do know that even Chuck Noe , who permanently resides somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan and would have Bush's babies given half a chance, managed to criticise no more than the cover. Again, here it's mentioned that the problem appears to be with the cover, although an ebay seller got Kerry to sign his copy recently so it doesn't appear as though Kerry is trying to disassociate himself from the book. There's a page here on the site of a Kerry-related organisation that mentions the picture on the inside cover of the book, which puts the front cover a little more in context (if the cover on its own really matters,I don't think it does). In any case, this page, article written by David Skinner from the Weekly Standard, says that Kerry's main contribution to the book was his Senate testimony, which you can easily get your hands on.

This site says it has "an overview of the book, along with most of the (Kerry's) text and selected photographs" so you can make your own mind up if you have the time. As an aside, The Slate have kindly done a "condensed" version of Douglas Brinkley's book (Tour Of Duty) about Kerry, which will save you either buying it or reading it. Worth a looksee.

I've been completely unable to find any evidence that substantiates the claim by Magnolia_Fan that "other Vets came out and said the book was all lies". There are of course charges made by fellow vets that the parts of his congressional testimony that stated that war crimes were carried out in Vietnam were "lies" (example) but even though this testimony may or may not have been reproduced in his book (I haven't even read the link to text I provided above), that's not quite the same thing.

I'd like to see a link myself to an actual Kerry book (rather than one that just reproduces congressional testimony) denounced as a "pack of lies" by vets as I can't find one. Obviously war crimes did occur in Vietnam and surrounding Indo-China (My Lai and napalm over Cambodia are but two) but Kerry obviously wasn't referring to these in either his testimony or anything reproduced from that testimony.

/me lobs ball back over net.

I have to confess (or profess, take your pick) that I don't like Bush. Constant proof that someone can be dangerous even if they don't have a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by flogen

The magic of Google!! Link

But besides what Kerry might have said in the book surely he has the right to comment on his experiences as a veteran.

I really do hope that he gets elected, I'd be really worried if Dubya got another term....REALLY WORRIED!!!

B.

• Advertisement

thanks for those links.
    the one BaZ made is interesting, but it seems that the vet is annoyed at Kerry's 'betrayal' rather than any lies... from what Ive read, he doesnt really deny Kerry's claims, but just say he shouldnt have said anything.

I'll read more of it

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Anyone but Bush.
    The worst thing is if Bush gets back in he dosen't need to worry about getting re elected and can do whatever he wants.

Advertisement