Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got new graphics card, BF1942 running even slower

Options
  • 18-05-2004 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi

I have a dell 1.6 ghz, 256 sd pc133 ram and a 20 gig plus an 80 gig drive, I just put in a radeon 9500 pro and BF1942 is still running unbelieveably slow (I just tried DOD and NS now and I get about 20-50 fps, same as with my GF2)

Right now I am downloading directx9...but is there anything major I could be missing?

I just installed the Radeon this evening with the catalyst drivers

The game is so jerky, mainly HDD accessing, but also heavy graphics slowdown on medium settings and 800x600 (16)

I recently defragged my HDD and ran a whole bunch of speed up programs and reg cleaning programs...

I know I have 256 ram, but it can't be that bad, supposedly bf1942 can run on 128 ram?

Any help would be great, thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Are you sure your drivers are up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

did you uninstal your old grahics drivers before instaling catalist?

What OS and which hard drive is your operating system on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Hi am using windows XP home edition

My p4 bios has never been flashed up

Both drives are to be seagate barracuda IV's
    system drive is 20gig XP is on that
    and I just put the 80 gig, bf1942 is on that

my paging file (virtual mem thing) is 384 megs on c:\

The drivers are catalyst 4.5 (I uninstalled the nvidia drivers before I changed)

and i just installed directx9b

The most surprising thing is, I get _worse_ fps in half-life Day of Defeat now than I did with my geforce2 GTS in. I really should be getting over 90 fps in that game.

The HDD accessing in both BF1942 and DOD in unbelieveable. Could it be a result of running all those speed up programs (got em off download.com.com)

I just reckon its one or two small things I need to change or do..

My radeon graphics are set to default for opengl and direct3d (bar in the middle between performance and quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

how did ya go about uninstalling the nvidia driver iirc stuff can linger on the machine perhaps that is causing issues? i think there may be some kind of det or forceware cleaner knocking about that might be worth trying

ok I reckon the problem is the 256 ram I have and the virtual memory

With half-life there is some freak radeon problem, guys with the 9800 pro getting 45 fps in cs etc, its just some wierd problem..

With bf1942, I put graphics on full, 800x600 (32) @ 85 hz and get 80 fps in some areas, but it seems to load every few metres, so much loading has to be a HDD / ram / virtual memory problem...

my virtual memory is set to 384, and yet that doesnt seem enough

any ideas??

Ill search my pc for any resident nvidia drivers now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ok ...

I would say 256mb ram is minimal for playing Battlefield and any new game on. You will need at least 512mb to get any decent performance. Judging by the amount of HDD usage it is constantly accessing your hard drive's paging file for fiels insted of the RAM which is making the process slower and "laggy". Simple thing would be to increase your RAM.

You however should be able to play on 1024x768 with graphics set to High or at least medium high. Try turning off AA on the Radeon. I have had a few CTD problems with BFV and AA. Seem to have sorted them out now though, just waiting for ATI to fix them i nthe next catalyst release. Turning off AA will also increase your performance in DoD and HL games. You should be able to get 100fps in those with AA and v-synce etc. turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Running xp here and with almost nothing open i'm using nearly 300megs of ram. I think that probably you dont have enough ram.
    i could be entirely wrong though

Winters - thanks

The DOD, halflife issue is a Radeon card/driver problem that few seem to have solved, there are guys with 3 gig machines, 512 fast ram and 9800 pro's that get 40 fps in cs..and as soon as they put in their old gf2, they get 99 fps. Its some wierd problem.

I used the run bf1942 before...whats with all the loading now? its crazy, I just tried DC there and I couldnt get to the servers screen.

I am trying to get another 256 sdram stick, but its hard.

Whats annoying me so much is that after I defragged the drive, after I ran all the reg fixers, about 6 of them cleared the pc of spyware everything, its now running so much slower HDD wise. I can see the moment when bf is loading and it kicks into the virtual memory and almost completely stalls.

The long term solution is to find some ram, right now I want to solve this virtual memory page file ****, I garuntee when I have 512 ram, it'll start all over again in awhile, I got 50% space free on system drive (the 20 gig) I might start trying to free more...also when my pc starts its running 29 processes, I kill the anti virus, but the rest seem pretty essential, mouse, keyboard, sound, graphics, and other assorted things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Bunny

The DOD, halflife issue is a Radeon card/driver problem that few seem to have solved, there are guys with 3 gig machines, 512 fast ram and 9800 pro's that get 40 fps in cs..and as soon as they put in their old gf2, they get 99 fps. Its some wierd problem.

very weird i have a radeon 9800 pro and get 100 fps in cs

• Advertisement

tuxx I'm already bidding for that ram

oh ya oops :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

have u got a refresh fix installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Use this to make sure all trace of old drivers are gone (ATI and nvidia)
    http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Then reinstall fresh up to date catalyst one.

(Alternatively use :
    http://content.guru3d.com/index.php?page=detonatorrip&menu=0
    or http://www.tweakzone.nl/downloads/2192
    to remove nvidia drivers)

Also see here for known Radeon9500 game issues (and fixes):
    http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon9500/radeon9500proissuesgames.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Defrag your HD ,a complete reinstall and reformat may be a good idea.

kdjac

thanks clinical waste, I'll try those sites.

A reformat out of the question for now, but tried a defrag, I'll just have to wait for ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

More ram is what you need i would bet. I c you are trying to get some that should solve your prob.

I bet when you put in your new card you might have turned the detail up a bit ?. By doing this you will notice that your ram usage went up. So it might seem to be laggyer then before as the games you are playing are useing more then your present 256megs of ram in your computer. What you should do is turn detail down until you get more ram. The game should not be freezing/pauseing as much.

yeah thanks I should be getting some on monday..

Advertisement