Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP iPAC Modem Help

Options
  • 18-05-2004 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I recently got a HP iPAC 2215 in the States.No problems with this nifty little machine.
    I want to use it on the net and for emails.What modem would anybody suggest?
    Operating system=Windows Pocket PC 2003 Prem.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There's a few methods for getting them on the 'net. The simplest is via the IR port to an IR equipped phone which behaves as the modem.

You could also use the bluetooth facility again through a bluetooth phone which is handier than the IR as line of sight is not needed.

I use an SE610 and Sony Clie both with BT and it works fine though not anywhere near as fast as a computer with a 56K modem.

My experience with Pocket PC's web browser is that it's very slow - that was on an iPaq 5450 even through the wi-fi connection and broadband - the clie and palm browsers are much quicker IMO.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

Thanks for your reply Zender.
    I have the iPAC paired with my Nokia 3650 via Bluetooth.Can I use the nokia as a modem?
    Sorry if I sound thick but I really am.
    Gozer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, there are a couple of options but it depends what operator you are on and if you are pre-pay or post pay. if you can post back that info we'll be able to give you some more direction.

BrianG

ref: Background info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

Hi DubWireless:
    I'm on 087-Vodafone using a post pay account.
    Thanks.
    Gozer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - grand - you have two options:

High Speed Data (HSCSD) - an 087 (on network mobile call) billed per second at your particular tariff

GPRS - a connection billed per KB, rates depend on if you have subscribed to an optional inclusive data package or not:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/dataservices/gprs/prices/index.jsp

First thing is to make sure you are set-up at Vodafone's side with both High Speed Data (HSCSD) and their ISP GPRS service (isp.vodafone.ie access point) - these may need to be "switched" on for you account by Vodafone if not already done so. Their Data Support Team can do this for you by calling 1850 287 000 (Mon - Fri; 9:00am - 5:30pm).

They may even be able to help you set it up - if not post back and we will give you a hand.

Bear in mind if you do have any issues, there are updates for the iPAQ available from the HP website in their support section. It is very important to take the time to read any update instructions and requirements carefully or you could damage you device while performing the update...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This may help..
    (written for anAxim but the basic points are the same )

How to configure GPRS Connections,

Select My Isp - new connection:

Enter a name - eg GPRS,
    Select a modem - Bluetooth dialup modem,
    Enter the number to dial - *99# is the gprs number,
    Enter username & password: vodafone & vodafone

Click on "advanced" - select 57600 Baud rate and in Extra dial-string modem commands put:

+cgdcont=,,"isp.vodafone.ie"

Select ok & finish.

Advertisement