Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless

• 19-05-2004 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm a bit of a tool when it comes to understanding other peoples posts etc,

Basically,
    Building new pc soon,
    1 room (downstairs) pc and ps2 need broadband
    1 room (upstairs) pc will need broadband.
    Connection comes in downstairs.

Whats a good standard of router to go for?
    I will be using the pc upstairs primarily for gaming, would wireless add much to my ping?
    I am using the Zyxel 630 modem that came with IOLs service, will I need a new modem too, or are there good routers that will take in a usb connection? Or should I look to a wireless modem/rouer in 1 (if such a thing exists?).
    Will I be looking to spend much for the 3 NIC cards (tho the PS2 only needs the antenna)? They seem expensive on Komplett, but they may be too good for what I require.

Sorry its long and annoying, but I'm sure some of you will know alot more than me in regards to this,
    Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

AFAIK there are no routers that allow usage with a USB dsl modem. Your best bet is to get a modem/wireless router combo job. Netgear do one, as do several other good manufacturers. If you take a browse around the Netgear, D-Link, Linksys (although I never hear them in use much now) or 3com websites youre bound to find something. I have a netgear G setup myself and it works great.

I don't really know how much the PCI wireless cards will cost.. I'd imagine something in the region of €40-€60? Check out www.dsl-warehouse.ie, thats where I got my wireless kit. I cant remember the last time I saw a wireless adaptor for a PS2. Might be worth checking out www.elara.ie too, just in case they've got any cheaper stuff than dsl-warehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Thanks rymus, that site brought my attention to the Linksys WAG54G, which appears to have a wireless router, and ethernet ports in it, so just praying that if I get this, I will be able to use the ethernet ports and the wireless router at the same time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Don't pray - read the User Guide, and have a look at this forum for some user feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Einsturzende, I was contemplating a reply but find it hard to with a signature like that. There may be "old people" on Boards.

Advertisement