Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmountable_boot_volume fresh xp install

Options
  • 19-05-2004 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

I Installed Xp pro on a brand new machine yesterday (celeron 2.4, 80 Gig Drive and Msi mainboard with integrated graphics. On the fist install got blue scree error with "unmountable_boot_volume error. I though it could be a ram error so I change it for a new stick and reinstalled completely.

This time the install went fine , Installed the main board drivers and all went ok. Then I installed the modem and when the system restarted I got the same Blue screen error "Unmountable boot Volume".

The memory is pc2100 which the board supports so unless both sticks of new memory are faulty its not that. My suspicion is that it something with the way the hard drive has been partitioned and formattted. I let xp do that itself to a single ntfs partition.

I've goggled but found nothing conclusive about this problem . Has anyone experienced anything similar and solved it and if so how.

Cheers,

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Jebus that was quick. Thanks Mac Daddy, I have read that article and I will will check it for those issues later on.

Thanks

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Handy way to do it is fix the MBR using the repair function , i had that error so many times.

kdjac

Advertisement