Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox DVD Region locked

Options
  • 19-05-2004 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a US Xbox DVD sensor and remote.
    But when I tried to play region 2 DVD they won't play.......

I thought thatbecause the xbox was from Europe, the sensor didn't matter.

Will I have to buy a Europe DVD remote.

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

the region is set by the dvd sensor(player software is on there too) - but i think it's set by the first sensor only so if you plug in another it mightn't do anything to change the region. if you can borrow one it'd be your best bet. otherwise you'll probably have to use a modchip

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Hi all,
    My Brother was on to Microsoft and they can unlock it for me.

Thanks everybody.

ninja

do you have to send it back to them? i'd be interested to know how you get it sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I'd like to find out too. I've asked a friend to bring me back a US DVD playback "kit" for the Xbox (the remote and the receiver) because as far as I knew the first remote you plug in sets the region permanently.

In the medium term, I'm going to pick up a suitable mod chip and whack on XBMC, but in the short term my PS2 plays region 2 discs, so this way I can get the Xbox to take care of the R1's... but if I can somehow change the region coding as I please, well that's just dandy...

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

if you get a modchip all you have to do is download dvd region X v2 and it will play any region dvd but you will have to use the pad to navigate them
    Pete

• Advertisement

the story is the MS will get a courier to collect the xbox. they take it off and within 2 weeks they'll drop it back fixed.

Cool Eh!
    I won't be using te US remote again.

all for free? - that's cool. if you've a memory card save anything you want to it as they may clear the hd while they're at it.

If you're not going to use it i'll take the remote off you for €10 - makes no odds to me what region it is ;)

Nige

They came and took the xbox 2 weeks ago and I got it back in 5 days all fixed and region unlockied.
    Poped in a Region 2 remote/sensor and hey pretos all is good.

fair play to them. I was highly impressed with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is it totally region free now or is it now locked to region 2 as opposed to region 1?

The region is set by the first remote control dongle you put into the xbox - so it'd be locked to region 2 - only way to make it region reggion at presnet is to put a mod chip in it. there's no dvd region x like on the ps2

Nige

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by elmer
    The region is set by the first remote control dongle you put into the xbox - so it'd be locked to region 2 - only way to make it region reggion at presnet is to put a mod chip in it. there's no dvd region x like on the ps2

Nige

I whacked "DVD Region X XBox" into google and got numerous hits, including (for example) this one:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=87&products_id=1935

However, any site I pulled up suggested it wasn't in stock... was it ever for sale or is this some sort of vapourware? :dunno:

Gadget

yep - was never on sale. The is a prog called dvd region x for the xbox but it needs a mod chip to run as the code is unsigned

Nige

Advertisement