Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Houlier to get the boot today?

• 19-05-2004 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Heard a few rumours on the radio earlier with redards to LFC.

No 1. Houlier is to be sacked today? (Would not surprise me)

No 2. The Thai deal has fallen through (Again would not surprise me)

Edit/ Just saw this on BBC /Edit

No 3. Chelsea have/are looking to do a deal with Gerrard (Steven) for UK£30m. Have no links to back it up at this stage though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gerrard couldn't leave could he?
    I think he'd only leave if Owen was leaving, and I think he'd try and follow Owen.

I don't want Gerrard to go to Chelsea, I hate'd them for trying to buy the premiership but Raneri made up for it, this new guy better be a god :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

#1 & #3 : Believe it when you see it on the official web site.

#2 : Could be a blessing in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmm lets see now Gerrard made captain, has blinding season, signes contract extension and then leaves for Chelski..very likely.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't see Gerrard leaving Liverpool in the forseeable future. Firstly I don't think the club would want to loose him and secondly I think he's happy here for the moment (a change in management could change that though).

As for GH leaving - I fricken hope so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by mike65
    Hmmmm lets see now Gerrard made captain, has blinding season, signes contract extension and then leaves for Chelski..very likely.

Mike.
    Your probably right, like it's never happened before.

• Advertisement

Do you someone in mind? I may have forgotten him...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Mike.

Did Gerrard not so long ago say he would leave Liverpool if GH was sacked.. ??

so it is possible..

Houlliers safe (for a season anyway) so thats not an issue, also I'd say if Houllier were replaced by a quality name Gerrard would stay.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Houllier will probably be there at the start of the season. It does not make sense to sell and England international and bid for Smith if you do not know who the manager will be! Also Cisse is coming, would the let Houllier spend apparently 14 million if he was going to be sacked!

On a side note neither Cisse or Mexes are in the France squad for Euro 2004, so if they are Liverpool players in August that means they will be fresh!

Do you someone in mind? I may have forgotten him...

Mike.
    Just off the top of my head, did'nt Figo move from Barca to Real in 2000? Did he not just the previous year sign a 5 year contract and be a small bit of an influence in thier Primera championship winning side that year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

So long as he keeps the captaincy, SG won't really care if GH goes. Of course he has to give him every support in the media when questioned. Owen on the other hand will be delighted if GH goes.

Gerrard would leave this summer if the club accept an offer they believe they cannot refuse. Otherwise he will not leave.

I'd be amazed if the board accepted a £30m offer. I wouldnt even accept a £50m offer. Is there currently a better all round central midfielder anywhere? Would I swap him for Zidane, for example? Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I have heard those rumours about GH too. I don't think they are true though. After all the rumourt is based on the fact that Houllier mentioned that he was surprised that there has been no statement from the board regarding 4th spot been in the bag. But then again the Liverpool board (as far as I can remember) don't go around lauding over a managers achievements.

As for Smith, I would like to see him come in and Baros go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Gerrard has been superb this season but you have to wonder how long himself and Michael Owen will put up with bog standard team-mates at Liverpool

I’d love to see him play for Chelsea or Arsenal

Well according to somebody who knows Houllier and other management staff at the club... there was a meeting with Moores and Parry and Houllier was quite happy with the outcome - no further details at present.

Complete leftfield opinion here but could it be with the (alleged)demise of the Thai deal and the rumours with regards to Houlier, that Morgans "new improved" offer could be back on the table??

Just heard from a journalist that the snag with the Thai deal is that the Thai Primeminister could be impeached for breaking the country's constitution. - Government officials can't use their office to do business dealings it seems. No doubt the full story will hit the news in the next few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In all fairness..... An out and out scouse living in his childhood dream of being captain of Liverpool!!! Your aving a lauf aint ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It is possile that Houllier will go. The owners are well aware of the situation but there is no point in getting rid of Houllier unless there is a replacement. What happens is also tied up in the bid battle which is becoming murkier. No response much from Morgan this week so I guess he's coming to the conclusion that he is blocked by the Moores 51% veto.

Stevie G could be sold if a) the price meets his get-out price in his contract - most players have these nowadays so that if they want to move they can, and b) if he really wants to move. eg: teams cant keep a player at a club against his will without them losing out his good service such as the Saha case.

I would be surprised if he would go given the good season he has had, the chance of the club going better with more money perhaps on the way, being in the CL again, etc. Chelsea may want him but then Chelsea are probably sniffing at a lot of players and although Stevie has the utmost respect for Houllier he will work with any manager that comes in.

I hope Liverpool dont buy Smith as I think he may be more trouble than he is worth. Over 6m is a lot to pay for him. Can we swap him for Kewell who has under-performed?

Someone mentioned Cisse (and Mexes) not being in the French squad. This is not good news as it shows that we are not even buying players of international quality. All Liverpool players should be in their national teams and preferabbly from hte big nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Someone mentioned Cisse (and Mexes) not being in the French squad

Steve Marlet is in the squad - and we all know what a success he was in England. As is Desailly who was awful for Chelsea in the last few months. Not a good sign if they can't get ahead of those 2.

I am assuming that Cisse has fallen with Santini as Marlet and Wiltord are both in the squad ahead of him.I wouls say that Mexes is just unlucky. They are both french internationals(I don't mean like Cheryou is a french international), who will be in the french squad for the next world cup.

Both Mexes and Cisse have been outstanding for Auxerre who are not a great team in the French league, which may also be a factor in neither of them being picked.

Although I would perfer if they were in the squad, I am just putting a positive spin on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Cisse is suspended. Got a 5 match ban for man-handling the ref after losing an under 21 game to Portugal. The ban applies to full internationals.

Playing the likes of Desailly will help ensure France dont win Euro 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cissé has an international ban for pushing a ref or something, hasn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

I was just looking at paddypower.com and they are taking bets on who will be the next Liverpool manager

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&category=SOCCER&ev_class_id=115&id=3497

Mourinho at 40-1 does not look bad, I think I remember hm saying that he would rather manage a club like Liverpool rather than Chelsea. ;)

We will all have to wait and see!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looking at those odds you could fairly hedge your bets and pick the five most likely and still get a good return.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

TV3 sports news are saying that its likely Kenny Dalgleish is likely to play some part in the club next season ! If he does and screws up will it be as easy to sack him legend that he is at Anfield.

Theres also rumors of Steven Gerard to man united for 12 million pounds, would he want that move do you think ?

RNB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by red-not-blue
    Theres also rumors of Steven Gerard to man united for 12 million pounds, would he want that move do you think ?
    £12mil??? he deserves to be the most expensive centre midfielder in the league. He is definitely one of the top 3 and is still very young so, IMO, will be better than Keane or Vieira ever were when he hits his peak. He'll stay at Liverpool though, for a season at least, as he has nothing to gain from a move to Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

something must be happening as its all over the papers and the net today.Would be interesting to see king kenny back at liverpool as director of football as the man is a legend.I doubt gerrard will go either as he is liverpool through and through amd is their captain.Gerrard over own any day.All we need now is mexes, a new midfielder and hopefully smithy as we have cisse in the bag already and appartently joey barton as well.Is he any good then?
    and hopefully this year will finally be the makings of partridge at liverpool, if not then sadly he will have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

I doubt gerrard will go either as he is liverpool through and through amd is their captain.

So was David Beckam !! The rumors of Kenny back at Anfield are gaining momentum if this mornings news means anything. As Director of football would he have much of a say over GH assuming he stays ?

RNB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

yer but there are big differences in lifesyles between beckamballs and gerrard.I hope for everybodies sakes(true liverpool fans ) that gerrard stays as he is the only true genuine star we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    He'll stay at Liverpool though, for a season at least, as he has nothing to gain from a move to Manchester.

:eek: What? apart from Champian League football (I know United have to qualify)? United have a had a disastrous season but I would be confident in saying Garard would have more chance of Champian league football with United than Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by daveg
    :eek: What? apart from Champian League football (I know United have to qualify)? United have a had a disastrous season but I would be confident in saying Garard would have more chance of Champian league football with United than Liverpool.
    I think he would fear for his life if he moved to manchester. He had a lot of those kind of issues the season before last when he had problems with some dodgy blokes and he couldn't play football to save his life. Don't really see why he'd put himself through the torture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

So was David Beckam !!
    1. Beckham wasn't United through and through. He wasn't even from Manchester.
    2. He wasn't the Man U captain.
    3. He was forced to leave.
    Originally posted by daveg
    What? apart from Champian League football (I know United have to qualify)? United have a had a disastrous season but I would be confident in saying Garard would have more chance of Champian league football with United than Liverpool.
    I don't think Gerrard will see it that way TBH. They are both in the CL this year, that should keep him happy for another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

So was David Beckam

RNB

David Beckham may have been captain for a few games but Roy Keane has always been considered club captain of Manchester United just as Stevie G is of Liverpool so you cant say Beckham leaving United might compare to Gerrard leaving Liverpool.

Also Beckham had fallen out with SAF. you are also forgetting that Gerrard is a better player and younger than Beckham, and it most defenitely would not be in Liverpools favour to sell him as it may have been for Utd.

Also what message would it send to any potential new manager (if any) that was coming if you sold your teams best player and one of the top midfield players in the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Whoever came up with the figure £12m for Gerrard is a joke i wouldnt let him go for £30m and IMO i dont think Gerrard would ever contemplate going to the mancs, fair enough if he wants to be succesful and it wont happen with Liverpool i could see him goin abroad or maybe one of the London clubs but that's not very likely either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    1. Beckham wasn't United through and through. He wasn't even from Manchester.

I don't think you can say that, he was at the club since he was 11 or something like that! And he had always supported them as a kid. The reason he left was because "The Stick" wanted to live abroad (and that really worked out!! :rolleyes: )
    And AF wasn't too keen and the whole "celebrity" thing.

B.

Well Houllier didn't get the boot yesterday and he goes on Holiday at the weekend. Will the board sack him in his absence? That would be a first for the club, the only club that I have known to do things that way is Man Utd when they parted company with Big Ron.

And it certainly looks like Gerrard is staying at Liverpool.

Captain is assured of pivotal changes (Daily Post - May 20, 2004)
    STEVEN GERRARD admits he has been promised several important changes at Liverpool this summer to match his titlewinning aspirations.

The Liverpool captain, (right), is an expected big money target for Chelsea and Manchester United in the next few months with the Londoners prepared to offer £30million for the midfielder and a weekly wage of more than £100,000.

Gerrard has no desire to leave his boyhood club but has sought assurances from Anfield officials their ambition matches his own.

And he has been told there will be several quality signings made this summer designed to catapult the club back into title contention and convince him to resist any overtures from Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford.

Gerrard said: "It goes without saying that we all want to make next season a better one than this. In fact we won't have another season like this, I'm positive about that. There is a lot going on at the club at the moment.

"The next two or three months are going to be very interesting, things are going to change and there will be some money available to invest in the team, which is nice to know as a player because we need three or four new faces to freshen things up on the playing side."

Liverpool are pursuing several transfer targets despite increasing doubt over Gerard Houllier's position at the club and the potential delay in securing significant investment from Thailand or Steve Morgan.

And Gerrard admits it is essential Liverpool make the right moves this summer if they are to close the widening gap on Premiership champions Arsenal.

"There's no doubt that the squad needs strengthening if we are to get back up among the top three because they are operating on another level to us at the moment," admitted Liverpool's skipper.

"I was recently quoted as saying that I think we need at least three new faces brought in during the summer and I stand by that.

"If I come back and there are only one or two new faces here then I don't think that will be good enough for this club. I've been promised this won't be the case though so I'm optimistic for the future," he added.

Djibril Cisse will officially become a Liverpool player on July 1 when he completes a £14m move from Auxerre, while Joey Barton, Alan Smith and Cisse's team-mate Philippe Mexes are known targets of the Anfield board.

Gerrard added: "I don't really want to name names when it comes to players I think we should buy because that is down to Rick Parry and the manage-ment to sort out. But I know there are players out there who could definitely strengthen our squad. It's important to get the right players."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

not alan smith please
    sadly i think houllier will remain as boss

Advertisement