Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New laws on lifejackets

• 19-05-2004 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hi all

just wondered was anyone going to make a submission about the new law being proposed on lifejackets.

The document itself is at

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/files/marleisNonMechPleasureCraft.doc

Interestingly, there is no proposal to remove the vat element on the purchase of lifejackets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

so owners of boats that have an engine are exempt from ensuring that people under 16 on board must wear a lifejacket?
    Why are only non-mechanically propelled vessels covered?

VAT on safety equipment is ridiculous in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I don't know the law on mechanically propelled vehicles. Maybe there is something there already.

I took an interest because I'd heard calls for the VAT element to be removed before and wondered was there going to be something in this new proposal but I got confirmation from the department..

Haven't heard anyone bring it up since the announcement was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Stevie G

16 May 2004 19:08
    Minister Dermot Ahern has announced regulations today that will fundamentally change the approach to pleasure boating in Ireland.

Every vessel, regardless of size, will have to carry life-jackets by law for everyone aboard.

Those racing at events organised by racing clubs already do so, but there has been no legal requirement. Now it will have the force of law.

Additionally, life-jackets will actually have to be worn by everyone on board boats under 23 feet.

Mr Ahern said the new rules will become effective in fourteen days, allowing time for public submissions to be heard about them.

He said he also intends to bring in regulations covering drinking on board yachts, and will also deal with surf boards and wind surfers.

This, said the minister, is a response to too many tragedies involving pleasure craft.

Advertisement