Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOFX gig

Options
  • 19-05-2004 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Was anyone else at this gig last night -- wow it was amazing
    The first support band were ****e, the second were a bit better though they reminded me of godsmack, and nofx were absolutely brilliant! my friend got mikes guitar pick the lucky bastard but lost his shoe in doing so..
    Dunno why they only played the start of decline though - their best song was bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Jeebus, what a night. First band crap. Second ok. Nofx were great. About the only bad things were:

1. The inability to get a beer in less than half an hour (though this may be a good thing judging by the hangover I still have)
    2. The fact that everyone else there was at least ten years younger than me. Several people thought I was a bouncer.

Well worth it though. Roll on Pixies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah it was class, glad i went, i am in alot of pain. the redbox worked very well as a venue. it was cool the way whenthe intro to 'linoleum' started, the whole crowed just surged forward and stared kicking the ****e out of eachother:D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Hmm...at that point I was still slurping down the last of the booze (always important at gigs)

The crush when they threw out the picks/sticks etc was mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i got one of fat mikes plecs, they are customed - i'm going to put it on my wall:D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

that was a dam fine gig. nofx were supoib

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I really liked The Epoxies, the first band that played. Perhaps the new-wave sound wasn't an indication for things to come... Swingin' Utters were also great, it was then when everything started to get a little hectic and painful.

The support was definetly better than most concerts, and it's cool that we got two bands instead of the conventional one, but they both played for what seemed like ages. NOFX didn't make it onto the stage until half ten or thereabouts, and they only played for an hour and a bit with no encore (even though it felt like they had been playing for the whole night). But they put on a great show, the atmosphere was incredible, I got really sore, and it was fúcking punk rock. Much better than all the other punk gigs I've been to, definetly the best.

If only they'd hurry up and establish the Red Box as a permanent live music venue because it remains my favourite, even though they rarely have gigs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

NOFX were good. I wouldn't go far beyond that. Not as good as I was expecting/hoping. They didn't play a lot of songs I wanted them to. I didn't like Swinging Utters at all. But I bought the Epoxies cd. There was something about them I liked. Not really sure what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by Ro: maaan!
    There was something about them I liked. Not really sure what.
    The chick? ;) The funniest part of the gig was mike saying 'dont ****ing spit in my face dude' and then loads of ppl start spitting.. hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

No, wasn't the chick. Actually I didn't really much like anything they said or anything about them, apart from the music, and that guy's glasses. They were cool. The cd is deadly. Not as "punk" as they sounded live, but class nonetheless.

Funniest part Mike saying "Don't spit on my face. Well, actually don't spit on any of me, but especially don't spit on my face..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

twas a fair good gig alright...

yeh the q for the bar was ridiculous considering they were getting orders from all four sides of the bar... i had it worked out though... buy 3 pints at a time and keep the extra two in one hand with your fingers in them. that way you only had to q up every ten minutes...

and when they played the intro to bob they did ill stop the world by the cure... love that song

the no encore bit was a bit of a dissapointment yeh but melvin was up there playin the accordian a lot longer than any of the rest of the band were on stage

wasnt a big fan of either of the support bands but then again i was too busy trying to get someone at the bar to serve me cos i think they look at me and think im too young and dont want to serve me cos theyll have to ask for id

stupid young looking me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Thought NOFX were pretty great, really liked swingin utters' vocals, and thought the epoxies were pretty good.

This was my first gig in the redbox and it is probably the best "small" venue in Dublin. Apart from that step across the middle of the dance floor when there's a pit collapsing every 5 seconds. NOFX never do encores, and it's awlays Eric left on stage playing accordian. I think I saw the keyboard player from the epoxies in the pit....

Was a good night. Was takin it easy tho, for exam the next morning :)

Advertisement