Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Require password to open folder/file

Options
  • 19-05-2004 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

How do I go about locking a file/folder in MS Word so a password is required to open it. I've done this before but can't remember how.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

As far as I can remember.

click tools> protect document

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

threebeards

If the data is important dont use MS word Password protection, it can be crack in minutes,

Get yourself and encryption client.

Thanks JoePC

I just checked that. It will only let you protect the document from changes, not from being opened.

As joePC said, get an encryption client like PGP Free or something.

Ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by exactiv
    I just checked that. It will only let you protect the document from changes, not from being opened.
    Tools-> Options-> Security-> Password to Open. Plenty of more secure encryption methods in there if you click Advanced next to the password box. It's rather more secure than it was in the days of Word 2 and 6.

Depending on how paranoid you are you might still consider a third-party app.

there ya go. you learn something new every day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Thanks guys. Got it sorted. The Windows password will be fine for me because it's not highly confidential info - just a few documents that I would prefer to make it even a little difficult to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by exactiv
    there ya go. you learn something new every day :D
    So did I:D. Any time I've had to "protect" a document for read-only access (not that I've done it in a long time), I've gone through the rigmarole of tools, options, security, read-only password. I didn't realise it was (now?) as easy as Tools - Protect document, click a radio box and pick a password.

Quid pro quo.

Advertisement