Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Re-Elect "George W" Canpaign

Options
  • 19-05-2004 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

How would u all react?
    There is a large anti bush march on the day he is here,
    How would u all feel about a group of people having a Pro-Bush march?

BTW: this is expected to be a resonble discussion so dont bother with the childish name calling

What do u think? 98 votes

Its a great Idea and i would march with them
    0% 0 votes
    Its a good idea but i wouldn't march
    12% 12 votes
    Where irish we are neutral we shouldn't be pro or anti bush
    8% 8 votes
    I dont agree with it but fair play to them for expressing their views
    4% 4 votes
    Its a bad idea they shouldn't do it
    29% 29 votes
    I hate the idea
    8% 8 votes
    If they do it they will be attacked
    28% 28 votes
    If they do it I will attack them
    9% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Its a free country do as you wish

I dont like the muppet though so i would not be in support of this idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

March away. You could be gunning for a mackerel from the atlantic to get the position for all I care. It would probably do a better job actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'm assuming that the spellings are a poke at his numerous blunders? If so shouldn't this be in After hours? If not - sorry, I don't mean any offence.

Personally I think he's a disaster, but people are free to express themselves, and it has the added advantage of being able to spot his supporters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by User45701
    How would u all feel about a group of people having a Pro-Bush march?

I'd feel they were perfectly entitled, but - by my own judgement - misguided.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I'm just wondering whether the 'poll' will manage to get more responses than there are options :dunno:

davej

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I thought I was alone but I always thought Geroge Bush was a brilliant leader. Im honoured that he wants to visit our small country and I will be making every effort to come out and support him :)

He has done so much for America, Africa and the middle east that once Iraq becomes peaceful, history will record his vision of world stability that he has help bring. This will no doubt be recorded as the turning around of Africa to prosperity and the iradication of debt and illness like AIDS etc.

We owe so much to America, they provide us with military secuirity, econmic development, and a cultural connection, we should salute the president that (those) americans voted into office.

The US Army short comings in Iraq and its certain mis use of tatics should not be allowed to cloud our judgement or turn a proud day sour.

I think I'm going to throw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    [BI always thought Geroge Bush was a brilliant leader. ...
    He has done so much for ...the middle east that once Iraq becomes peaceful, history will record his vision of world stability that he has help bring. ...

The US Army short comings in Iraq and its certain mis use of tatics should not be allowed to cloud our judgement or turn a proud day sour. [/B]

Is it just me, or is this somewhat contradictory?

He's a brillaint leader who's suffering from shortcomings and "misuse of tactics" in Iraq and yet its certain (to you) that Iraq will become peaceful?????

Come on.....you can do better than that.

jc

Originally posted by Sleipnir

Pass me the bucket when your finished
    once Iraq becomes peaceful, history will record his vision of world stability
    once Poland becomes peaceful, history will record his vision of world stability

I thought I was alone but I always thought Geroge Bush was a brilliant leader. Im honoured that he wants to visit our small country and I will be making every effort to come out and support him :)

He has done so much for America, Africa and the middle east that once Iraq becomes peaceful, history will record his vision of world stability that he has help bring. This will no doubt be recorded as the turning around of Africa to prosperity and the iradication of debt and illness like AIDS etc.

We owe so much to America, they provide us with military secuirity, econmic development, and a cultural connection, we should salute the president that (those) americans voted into office.

The US Army short comings in Iraq and its certain mis use of tatics should not be allowed to cloud our judgement or turn a proud day sour.

God, ...sniff, Bless, ...sob, America!
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    I don't disagree with this sentiment, but it made me think that it would be interesting to see a thread like this proceed without reaction for once. As an experiment like. How about it bonkey, let them off the leash for a couple days, see how they get on? Could be insightful.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I don't disagree with this sentiment, but it made me think that it would be interesting to see a thread like this proceed without reaction for once. As an experiment like. How about it bonkey, let them off the leash for a couple days, see how they get on? Could be insightful.

adam

Interesting proposal. It would require tremendous restraint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

once Poland becomes peaceful, history will record his vision of world stability

Eh?:confused: Where'd this get quoted from?

If ppl want to march in support of Bush then fine its a free country and should be worth it just to see the reaction at inde-meeja

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=64182

Does anyone else find it amusing the way so many anti-bush lefties talk in war language?

Mike.

I change Iraq for poland and you get a hitler 1940 effect (or at lest i though you would)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah I see....bit slow on the historical allusions today! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I'm genuinely interested in people who really support George W. Bush. I think his regime is not only dangerously ignorant but incompetent and malicious for good measure, but maybe I'm missing something, as he seems to have a bedrock of support of around 40% of the voters in the US. Seriously, why? What good things has he done that, say, John Kerry wouldn't also have done in his place?

So I'd love to see a pro-Bush rally, for curiosity's sake alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Go for it.

I'd love to see what kind of people will be involved in such a march, and what reception they'd get.

It isnt a discussion on the man, so I'll not discuss what i think of him other than my views would be very negative.

But democracy is just that. If you want to march, then do it. But I hope that the gardai and government etc. treat the pro-bush march in EXACTLY the same manner as they would an anti-bush one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I like that.

A friend of mine said in a arguement today
    "would you rather be taken over by the US or by muslems?"
    Originally posted by Zulu
    I'm assuming that the spellings are a poke at his numerous blunders? If so shouldn't this be in After hours? If not - sorry, I don't mean any offence.

No offence taken im a horrible speller, i dont care that i cant spell

Afgan is a better place now than it was.
    Will Iraq be? i hope so but i watched the newest episode of simpsons and there was 1 part i didnt like, i will spoiler it incase some of u havent seen it
    Skinner: I was a soilder in USA`s only losing war
    Homer: To date!
    I didnt like that 1 bit i know its a but of fun and its simpsons but i dont know i want to se USA win Iraq.

Isreal want to take down the head guy (i cant remember his name the guy who has been under house arrest for 2 or more years, damm i cant remember his name) but if they take him down it will probbley trigger a massive wave of attacks. Isreal made a promise to bush/usa thet they wouldent attack him

USA want to take down that guy in Iraq with his own privite army, the guy that is hiding in that "holy" citty, he has been on the news a few times he seems to have quite a bit of power but a Jehad has been promised if they attack him or enter the holy city
    (lol i am a bit out of date i havent watched news in a week or 2 now so the whole thing about the guy in Iraq could be out of date now)

Both of them are accused of supporting attacks on US/Isreal troops, hopefully they will both be taken down because the palastinian guy is definatly supporting suicide bombings and the Iraq guy is a nuasence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

And you said "I'd rather not be taken over at all"? Or pointed out the "the US" is a country while "muslems" (sic) is/are not a country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Marches aren't allowed in this country anymore haven't you heard.

Some interesting stuff about Bush's work for Africa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by sceptre
    And you said "I'd rather not be taken over at all"?

Come on. This is a dodge answer, which I'm sure you wouldn't tolerate if it were Bush saying it.
    Marches aren't allowed in this country anymore haven't you heard.

I haven't heard. Tell me more.

Marchers: Go on, if you really want, but you're not going to get a lot of support, except from the CIA's spooks in Ireland. Most of Dubya's Irish supporters don't care enough about him to get onto the streets, having lives to get on with and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I haven't heard. Tell me more.

Well what happens is you make up some scare stories for the press to get a bit of hysteria going (don't worry they will print them obediently).
    This will scare away some of the marchers. (Gas/bio whatever your having youreself attacks are good for this).
    Then block the march route with thousands of riot cops and a water cannon.
    If those pesky kids sit on the road an chant "peaceful protest" give them a good blast of the water cannon.

All the people watching Sky will think you've done a great job

easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Well we already are "taken over by the US"

A very compelling reason to hope Bush gets the boot in November;

US failure in Iraq would be a disaster for Ireland
    However, if this economic hardship coincides with an American defeat in Iraq,we will get an oil whammy plus serious and possibly lasting damage to the American psyche and an emboldened and victorious al-Qaeda in the Middle East.The first economic victim of such a scenario will be trade and investment flows from the US to the rest of the world. Given that we are the most open economy in the world and we have benefited enormously from the glorious age of globalisation since 1990, the economic ramifications of a Yankee defeat in Iraq would be disastrous.

Even some conservatives think Bush is making an appalling arse of things in Iraq:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Galloway_051304,00.html

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Sanders_051704,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

The above article really underscores the problems facing the US in the future that neither party is willing to face, because facing them means implementing solutions that are unpalatable to most (sadly quite shortsighted) americans. In about 10 years, when the baby boomers are almost fully retired and there are more people riding in the cart than there are people pulling, and still no solution to the impending train wreck that is the American Social Security program, there are going to be huge problems.

Would you say that this "proud day" turned sour? or would you just class it as a bit of a whoopsie?

"US forces have fired on a wedding party in Iraq killing more than forty people. Iraqi officials have said the dead include 15 children and ten women. Locals have said the civilians celebrated the wedding by firing into the air, and Americans mistook the traditional salute for hostile fire. The attack happened near the border with Syria and Jordan. It comes as the first American soldier charged with abusing Iraqi prisoners has been jailed for a year. Jeremy Sivits faced the court-martial on four counts of maltreating inmates at the Abu Graib prison."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

We can thank the recent developments at Intel in Lexlip to our special status with the United States Government. Just another example of how American business are help bettering the individual lives of Irish people, bring jobs and prosperity to our beloved country.
    "US forces have fired on a wedding party in Iraq killing more than forty people. Iraqi officials have said the dead include 15 children and ten women

Make no mistake, this is a war were in. There are rotten apples in every bunch and all armies do make mistakes. My sympoties goes out to the innocent iraqis who died.

However I commend the indiviual american soldiers who are putting their own lives on the line to help protect civilisiation and the West. America must not and will not fail in Iraq. The knock on effects to our Nation at home would be diasterous.

My stance is on pragmatic reasons. Im currently 1/2 way through picking the bones by geoffrey regan and agree with many of this points. However in reality, the Americans are the new Romans, you are either with them or against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by bobbyjoe
    Well what happens is you make up some scare stories for the press to get a bit of hysteria going (don't worry they will print them obediently).

Wait... so if there's a possibility of violence at a march - and there was both the possibility and the occurence of violence during the 1st of May march - the media should not report this? Please don't ever argue in support of a free press.
    We can thank the recent developments at Intel in Lexlip to our special status with the United States Government. Just another example of how American business are help bettering the individual lives of Irish people, bring jobs and prosperity to our beloved country.

I doubt it; unless Intel is a semi-state company run by the U.S. federal government, they will decide where to locate their operations based on profit grounds, including any subsidies they earn from the Department of Enterprise.
    Well we already are "taken over by the US"

And look! We're not being made to wear burqas!

Out of interest how many people would be anti bush but be pro what USA is doing?
    I discoverd that 1 person on the bus 2day was like that.

I see no problem with letting US war planes land in shannon.
    I predict another attempted terrorist attack in November, it will hopefully fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I wouldn't suggest it, Anti- Bush protestors can get Ugly, they protest against using Force by using Force...If you want to get a hammer blow to the head march away if not I wouldn't...I just walked the opposite way of a march..I wasn't even against it they are entitled to it , but it was being led by Micheal D and I swear to god he came me the most vile look you can imagine...I had my headphones on and didn't realise there was a march...what a pr!ck!

• Advertisement

Personley i have a problem with marches.
    what gives those ****ers the right to mess with my day
    to bloack my roads and MY busses!

I would only go on a pro bush march if it was on the same day and same time os the anti bush march so i wouldent be causing a traffic disruption

Is pissing off most of dublin by fcuking with the roads the best way to get there support?

Advertisement