Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Re-Elect "George W" Canpaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

<deleted>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    He was making false allegations against me!!
    No, he wasn't. He mistakenly attributed a quote from another poster to you in a simple copy and paste error. I was lax to apologise given your preclusion to go on the attack first and think second.

A common conservative trait I might, albeit wholly AWOL (*koff*) in Bush's case, since he's incapable of thinking intelligently. In case you missed it, the man can't even pronounce the words "Abu Ghraib", even though it must surely have been discussed in presidential briefings every day for the past couple of weeks. If not, then maybe he missed the news? What did he use instead I wonder? "That prison" perhaps? Or was he busy playing golf?
    Sorry Adam.
    That's ok. Next time try pointing out my error instead of jumping to conclusions.
    And no one on this board is an idiot.
    Well, perhaps you shouldn't call them idiots then? Seems a pretty logical conclusion to me. Granted, Junior might have difficulty with it...
    No one can detract from the magnificent job the brave US forces are doing in Iraq.
    Most of the brave US forces. Although I don't think we should attribute too much to the cowardly, cruel, bigoted minority that disgusted the world with their behaviour in Abu Ghraib - that's ah-boo grey-buh - we shouldn't forget about it either.
    Bringing peace and security for ordinary Iraqis and liberation them from an ugly regime where the world choose to forget.
    Pardon my Klatchian, but peace and security my hole.
    The hand over is scheduled for the end of June, then Iraqis can finally have their country returned and be officially liberated. History won’t record the small percentage of individual (evil) crimes against the Iraqis but a new dawning for a Nation.
    Christ, you've really been taken in by the Bush rhetoric, haven't you? Was that a quote, or did you come up with it all on your own? If the latter, god help you.
    History will record the strong minded president of the United States
    The words "strong" and "minded" shouldn't be used in the same sentence when it comes to Junior. In case it's escaped your attention, the man is intellectually sub-par. I think you were looking for the phrase "strong willed". From several thousand miles away, obviously.
    who cast aside the whinging French and Germans who were hell bent on keeping the evil regime in place.
    Hard to tell whether that's true or not. I'd be more inclined to believe that the French and Germans were hell bent on multilateralism.
    Those countries also putting pressure on the 10 new EU states to keep the evil dictator in place (or jokingly remove him peacefully).
    Which dictator? Why are you talking in the present tense?
    Remember that the French have sold €10bn in military equipment to Saddam
    Whereas the American gave weapons to the man they believe arranged the September 11 attacks.
    God Bless America
    God bless Americans. The America they believe in no longer exists.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    I think Jolly rodger is a troll.
    Nobody can be that blind.

Pleas read the forum guidelines. This post is in clear violation of them.

jc

History won’t record the small percentage of individual (evil) crimes against the Iraqis but a new dawning for a Nation.

Thas a damned shame, because history most certainly should record them, if only as a reminder to nations like the US that they need to do better. That "at least we're better than Saddam" is hardly an accolade to be proud of.

History will record the strong minded president of the United States who cast aside the whinging French and Germans who were hell bent on keeping the evil regime in place.
    You mean like it records the whinging Americans, French, English and others who were all collective hell bent on keeping the evil Nazi regime in place before they went to war with it? And lets not even look at who went to war when, and who appeased whom for how long.....

Sure history will record how "bad" the French and Germans were for not wanting to get involved in more wars.

In American history, maybe.
    Also of note is their pathetic showing in wars in the last 100 years, I wont care to mention Germany.
    Whereas American military intervention in the past 50 years has been an absolute bastion of good behaviour, success, and....

oh, no...wait, It hasn't. Try perusing some of William Blum's work, for example, at some point.

But I guess that's not of note because it doesn't fit with your shining illusion of Glorious America.
    I have a US Flag and will be cheering President Bush when he arrives.
    Good for you. I hope you enjoy it.
    and without the US, the peace process would have long be dead with the pathetic UK government’s policy dictated by a hard line fundamentalist Northern Unionist.
    You've appear to have lost the plot here, haven't you?

Care to explain exacty how the US was instrumental in any of this?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

so, just skip my question.
    ill ask it again

Why dont they just march in single file along the path?

i didn't skip your question, i posted a counter arguement to it, which you just ignored.

To spell it out.

They don't march in single file along the path because they don't have to. It's also difficult to get a few hundred or more people to do that when there's no valid reason why they should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by dangerman

Why should they march in single file along the path when they have the democratic right not too?

Because it really p*sses people off when they're trying to drive somewhere and find the road blocked off by a bunch of politics fanboys and a bigger bunch of gardai.

Marching, I would say, does nothing to garner more support for your cause because it's so damn annoying for the majority of people.

[weirdly i edited my previous post and managed to hack a good chunk of it off. Anyway...]
    Because it really p*sses people off when they're trying to drive somewhere and find the road blocked off by a bunch of politics fanboys and a bigger bunch of gardai.

God damn it that attitude annoys me sooooo much.

Poor dears can't drive places in their car for a day so they get all upset.

No really, I'm so sorry. Sorry sorry sorry sorry. :rolleyes:
    Marching, I would say, does nothing to garner more support for your cause because it's so damn annoying for the majority of people.

No way. Marching is important. Granted it's all down to the numbers, if a large proportion come out [like the huge amount that came out for the anti-war dealy last year] then that speaks volumes about the people's feelings. I think it's important, that even if our government feels it must play lap dog to Bush for Economic reasons that Irish people make their voices heard. And we will, because we can thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Neither will I be swayed by allegations that I am a troll or disparagement.

Originally posted by User45701
    If they want to march fuine they can but why not do it in single file along the path or something where it dosent **** with MY day

Ah yes. Thats a great idea. Just *** up the pedestrians' day because your day is so much more important because you drive a car.
    One day i will just snap, get a car and drive it into a protest at 80mph, like to see them bloack other ppls roads and busses after that.

Well, after you get sent to prison, the more likely outcome is that in the event of an organised protest, the public will demand that the police supply protection from people like you, so in future traffic will be even more sorely affected.

Great result from your perspective, I'm sure.

jc

Neither will I be swayed by allegations that I am a troll or disparagement.

I've already dealt with the trolling commentary. If you have a problem with further posts, I suggest that you follow the rules concerning what to do, rather than breaking them instead.

Then again....given that you've expressed a desire to run down protestors for exercising their rights, I'm not really surprised that you show our forum rules equal respect.

jc

• Advertisement

given that you've expressed a desire to run down protestors for exercising their rights, I'm not really surprised that you show our forum rules equal respect.

I have retracted my previous posts!

Is there actual support for the terror campaign on innocent US citizens and our allied forces in the Middle East,:confused:

As a proud supporter of AMERICA I can only marvel at the country building US and coalition forces are doing in the middle east.

(I will respond in due course to some of the outlandish comments being made.)

Apologies to thejollyrodger for my 'troll' post. Won't happen again.

Is there actual support for the terror campaign on innocent US citizens and our allied forces in the Middle East,:confused:

Its possible for both sides to be wrong, you know.

As a proud supporter of AMERICA I can only marvel at the country building US and coalition forces are doing in the middle east.

Good for you. I'm glad you're so quick to gloss over all of the bad parts because you see the ideal result as being so attainable.

Bit idealistically Maciavellian, though, don' t you think?

jc

I have retracted my previous posts!

(I will respond in due course to some of the outlandish comments being made.)

How can you 'marvel' at something that

a.) hasn't happened yet, so we've no idea if it will work
    b.) Has never, to my recollection, ever been successful (Vietnam?)

With regards the "terror campaign"
    They wouldn't be in danger if they they hadn't invaded in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If they want to march fine they can but why not do it in single file along the path or something where it dosent **** with MY day

A singe march is hardly going to **** up your day that much.

The world going to **** as a result of one administration's decisions, now that would **** up your day.

It's that kind of selfish, ignorant, short-sighted attitude that makes the world the mess it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Lets look at the constitution to determine what are and arent our rights in relation to ruining peoples days with protests.

Article 40.6.1.ii

The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the following rights, subject to public order and morality:

The right of the citizens to assemble peaceably and without arms.

Provision may be made by law to prevent or control meetings which are determined in accordance with law to be calculated to cause a breach of the peace or to be a danger or nuisance to the general public and to prevent or control meetings in the vicinity of either House of the Oireachtas.

So you have a right to protest but not a right to protests that cause a nuisance to the general public, and indeed the government has every right to prevent meetings in the vincinty of the Dail.

So you lads better start learning how to march in single file by the time the government learns how to enforce the constitution to protect the rights of people not to be inconvenienced by these rent a protest yobos out there raging against the machine.

So you lads better start learning how to march in single file by the time the government learns how to enforce the constitution to protect the rights of people not to be inconvenienced by these rent a protest yobos out there raging against the machine.

Lets see you bring high court action then Sand go on lets see ya. I would love to see it. Look you've the constitution on your side, i swear. lol.

Oh no wait your too busy sitting on your arse tarnishing everyone as rent a protest yobos. I dislike the indy media gobbers possibly as much as you, but i dislike bush even more. I've only ever been to one other March, and that was the anti-war dealy last year before the iraqi invasion. I can't wait to 'inconvenience' all you people who'll be sitting at home watching it on the tv and scowling about it. Or trying to get your gucci in Brown Thomas and not being able to concentrate on which gold card to use because of the 'nuisance' nearby. Ok so i'm only messin with the last bit, but you can hardly say 'rent a protest yobos' if there's a huge turn out ala last years one. I hope there will be a big turnout.

Lets see you bring high court action then Sand go on lets see ya. I would love to see it. Look you've the constitution on your side, i swear. lol.

Its not a matter for the high court - its a matter for the government to enforce the constitution. Going to the High Court would simply re-affirm the constitution, the government would say "yep, well get right on that" and then ignore it as I dont see a politician in this country with the bottle to enforce a law when its more convenient to let it slide.

Ive noticed though youve gone from the "Its our right to protest" to "yeah, okay its not our right, but tough, nah nah nah" style of argument.
    Oh no wait your too busy sitting on your arse tarnishing everyone as rent a protest yobos. I dislike the indy media gobbers possibly as much as you, but i dislike bush even more. I've only ever been to one other March, and that was the anti-war dealy last year before the iraqi invasion.

Well, you didnt miss much with all the others - I accomplished more watching TV on the day of the anti war march than you did out there marching. The war went ahead, with the use of Shannon didnt it? So you achieved feck all, and I achieved some leisure time. Guess you showed them didnt ya?
    I can't wait to 'inconvenience' all you people who'll be sitting at home watching it on the tv and scowling about it. Or trying to get your gucci in Brown Thomas and not being able to concentrate on which gold card to use because of the 'nuisance' nearby. Ok so i'm only messin with the last bit, but you can hardly say 'rent a protest yobos' if there's a huge turn out ala last years one. I hope there will be a big turnout.

Youre right man - Youre out there fighting the system, with only "I hate Bush" as a cause, and probably (Im guessing here from vast personal experience of talking to the Anti bush crowd thats appeared recently) an understandable desire to conform to the supposedly prevalent view that Bush is evil, rather than simply a tad blunt about the reality of the world. Oh and a view that itll be a great laugh to "inconvenience" people - greaaaaat, rebelling in conformity.

Youre right, how could I say rent a protest yobos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

I doubt whether Sand will ever do anything to "support" the war other than post particularly poorly reasoned extreme right wing views up here. The overwhelming majority of the population were opposed to the war and don't seem too impressed by things like thousands of murdered civilians and the disgusting treatment of detainees, so Sand is not remotely representative of the general public.

Ive noticed though youve gone from the "Its our right to protest" to "yeah, okay its not our right, but tough, nah nah nah" style of argument.

i didn't mean to do that, i was kinda trying to be ironic with the i swear comment.

it is our right to protest; 'The right of the citizens to assemble peaceably and without arms. '

What i understand in my incredibly limited capacity is that there must be a balance between the above and the nuisance it causes. Given that it's one day, a saturday, i don't see any constitutional breach going on here.
    Well, you didnt miss much with all the others - I accomplished more watching TV on the day of the anti war march than you did out there marching. The war went ahead, with the use of Shannon didnt it? So you achieved feck all, and I achieved some leisure time. Guess you showed them didnt ya?

Now here i really do have to give it to you. Your right, the march last year didn't stop the war.

But my reason for marching is this; if a huge crowd turned out [not just the usual rent a protest yobos] it would make american news. If even a few american people who see it question why it is that people in foreign countres are out on the street marching against their president - particularly in a country like ireland, which receives so much benefit from america - then it's a successful day.
    Youre right man - Youre out there fighting the system, with only "I hate Bush" as a cause, and probably (Im guessing here from vast personal experience of talking to the Anti bush crowd thats appeared recently) an understandable desire to conform to the supposedly prevalent view that Bush is evil, rather than simply a tad blunt about the reality of the world. Oh and a view that itll be a great laugh to "inconvenience" people - greaaaaat, rebelling in conformity.

Ok so you guessed wrong. On the inconvenience thing, i was taking a dig at the armchair critics who moan about this sort of thing all the time. You should respect those who march, on a saturday, in the capital city, just like i respect your right not too march.

I agree that the whole bush is satan arguement is a bit childish when put in a world context. But I do dislike many aspects of the bush administration, from its tax breaks for rich people to the patriot act. That administration has made several mistakes. I disagreed with the iraq situation, just like France & Germany did. I dislike that government. I will march about it when he comes to town.

As for rebelling in conformity, no. I'm not rebelling. I won't be trying to aggrevate gardai or any kind of nonsense. I don't swing towards many of the anti globalisation arguements that indymedia style orgs propogate. I'm making a simple, easy to make statement about my thoughts on the bush administration.

As i said before it's all about numbers. If a big enough crowd show up, then it shows that popular opinion in the country is against his actions. Of course there's going to be crazy kiddies jumping on the bandwagon. There always was and there always will be. But a protest that brings out a much bigger than 'normal' crowd does show something which I feel is important to show.

This all started because that user chap was upset at the inconvenience the march would cause him. I disagree, I think its brilliant, whether I march or not, that people get up and march on all issues. It shows me & anyone else who reads the papers or watches the news that people feel passionate about things and publicise it in a very effective manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Originally posted by dangerman
    I agree that the whole bush is satan arguement is a bit childish when put in a world context.
    Yeah, Sand will tell you that Saddam is the Evil one. That's common sense, not simpleminded childishness or religious fundamentalist crankery at all.

How can you 'marvel' at something that

a.) hasn't happened yet, so we've no idea if it will work
    b.) Has never, to my recollection, ever been successful (Vietnam?)

With regards the "terror campaign"
    They wouldn't be in danger if they they hadn't invaded in the first place.

a) did you watch the resolution being put forward by the US and UK!

b) they didnt want to be helped and were/are happy to go round in their push bikes and slope head straw hats for the next 1,000 years!!

(I admit the US tatics and conscript US army were dum)

but I would have bombed the sh1t out of those commies if i was around.

communism , like dah!!

did anyone actually like belive that a doctor is going to work for like the same wage as a bin man ? .:D:D:D:D:D: AHHAHAHAH

Ever visit eastern Europe, pure funny the way, like, no one has opinions of their own, or can think for themselves no matter how hard they try!!

Some of those Islamic crack pots would have hit Europe anyway, better in Iraq than the EU!!

I dont care what ANYONE SAYS ILL be out there support Mr Bush with my MASSIVE U.S FLAG !! GO USA GO USA !! CAPITALISM IS KING !!! KEEP FIXIN OUR ROADS !! SADDAM SUCKS + SO DOES BIN L
    Sleipnir:- Apologies to thejollyrodger for my 'troll' post. Won't happen again.
    ;) sure thing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

*sigh*

There really isn't any (non charter breaching) response to that!

b) they didnt want to be helped and were/are happy to go round in their push bikes and slope head straw hats for the next 1,000 years!!
    One more racist slur like that - or the myriad of others in that post - and you won't post on this forum ever again.

At this stage, jollyrodger, you're more or less convincinb me that you have absolutely no interest in rational discussion.

The only time you respond to posts is to say that you wont be cowed into submission, and now - a new tack - to make racist and ideological slurs on others in order to somehow "defend" your position.

Either show that you have some interest in rational discussion, or leave, before you're thrown out.

jc

a) did you watch the resolution being put forward by the US and UK!

(I admit the US tatics and conscript US army were dum)

but I would have bombed the sh1t out of those commies if i was around.

communism , like dah!!

did anyone actually like belive that a doctor is going to work for like the same wage as a bin man ? .:D:D:D:D:D: AHHAHAHAH

Ever visit eastern Europe, pure funny the way, like, no one has opinions of their own, or can think for themselves no matter how hard they try!!

Some of those Islamic crack pots would have hit Europe anyway, better in Iraq than the EU!!

I dont care what ANYONE SAYS ILL be out there support Mr Bush with my MASSIVE U.S FLAG !! GO USA GO USA !! CAPITALISM IS KING !!! KEEP FIXIN OUR ROADS !! SADDAM SUCKS + SO DOES BIN L

;) sure thing !!

Well, you just come across as the typical trigger-happy yank who cannot see anything other than through the sights of a gun.

You're right, they were happy. Maybe they didn't want to look like a whale, sit and watch T.V. all day, go to their schools and shoot their classmates and generally not wander the world feeling marvelous while the rest of the planet laughs at them.

So America decided to bring "democracy" and "civilisation" and in failing to do so killed hundreds of thousands of people. Good call?

But, having said all that, in my opinion you debate like a schoolboy and don't appear capable of putting forward any real argument.

You just bomb the world and whatever else tickles your fancy. I'm all dumbed out.

I meant that in a good way.

anyway

I have neither the time nor the inclination to continue posting on this topic.

im signing off,
    THE JOLLY RODGER :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    *sigh*

There really isn't any (non charter breaching) response to that!

I second that.
    thejollyrodger's above post should be the post of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

How would u all react?
    There is a large anti bush march on the day he is here,
    How would u all feel about a group of people having a Pro-Bush march?

BTW: this is expected to be a resonble discussion so dont bother with the childish name calling

when clinton came there was 1000's on the streets
    This was in all essence a pro-clinton march.

So i think a march in his case is ok, sure clinton is no saint but comparing to bush he is the lord almight hiself.

Bush on the other hand is a kamakazi nut with the worst foreign & national policies that the US have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Ever visit eastern Europe, pure funny the way, like, no one has opinions of their own, or can think for themselves no matter how hard they try
    Anyone see an irony in this?

• Advertisement

What i understand in my incredibly limited capacity is that there must be a balance between the above and the nuisance it causes. Given that it's one day, a saturday, i don't see any constitutional breach going on here.

Protests calculated to cause a general nusiance arent constitutionally protected - so those slow cyclists who cause traffic jams to protests against cars on the road arent protected - they can protest against cars, but not in a fashion that causes a general nusiance - which they do. The same goes for reclaim the streets. The same goes for protests which childishly refuse to co-operate with the police. The same goes for people marching in such a fashion as to cause traffic jams - no one has as yet given a good reason for why they cant march in single file, or even protest in an open area off the streets.

Of course - for any of these constitutional nicities to matter a damn you have to have a government with the balls to enforce them. So its a moot point, beyond recognising that protests of the above nature are not your right.
    But my reason for marching is this; if a huge crowd turned out [not just the usual rent a protest yobos] it would make american news. If even a few american people who see it question why it is that people in foreign countres are out on the street marching against their president - particularly in a country like ireland, which receives so much benefit from america - then it's a successful day.

Actually one of the complaints the usual yobos have is that the Murdoch empire doesnt publicise their protests beyond them being violent and dangerous. So I wouldnt get your hopes up.

But Id imagine if an American was to look at the protests, and then think back to the hysteria that greeted Clinton on his visit, theyd be mightily confused as to the difference in reaction - Ill come back to this.
    Ok so you guessed wrong. On the inconvenience thing, i was taking a dig at the armchair critics who moan about this sort of thing all the time. You should respect those who march, on a saturday, in the capital city, just like i respect your right not too march.

Yeah, I do return an equivalent amount of respect - problem is i dont get the impression from your posts that you actually do respect what you claim to respect :)
    This all started because that user chap was upset at the inconvenience the march would cause him. I disagree, I think its brilliant, whether I march or not, that people get up and march on all issues. It shows me & anyone else who reads the papers or watches the news that people feel passionate about things and publicise it in a very effective manner.

To a certain extent I agree, but it is wasted effort. People get so hyped up about protests, and yet when the time comes to vote those hundred thousand people who were voting with their feet reckon theyve done their part and the same shower get in again. All that passion and effort and nothings changed.

Protest movements are useless without follow through in the elections that provides a mandate - until then the politicians can say, correctly, that theyve been elected by the people, and they answer to the people, not to a mob, no matter how many thousands are in it, they are not the electorate. A fairly and democratically elected politician will always have more legitimacy than a protest.
    I agree that the whole bush is satan arguement is a bit childish when put in a world context. But I do dislike many aspects of the bush administration, from its tax breaks for rich people to the patriot act. That administration has made several mistakes. I disagreed with the iraq situation, just like France & Germany did. I dislike that government. I will march about it when he comes to town.

Okay Im coming back to the Clinton - Bush thing. Clinton was welcomed as a god by the adoring Irish, Bush will be hounded by a mob burning his effigy. Why?

Bush started wars willy nilly and over ran the UN?

Clinton invaded Haiti, bombed Iraq, Sudan and invaded Kosovo, bombing Serbia. That last bit is important becuase the US (oh and all their Euro allies ) invaded Kosovo *without* a UN mandate because they wouldnt get it. Thats right - the west pissed all over the UN charter and national sovereignty. He even had Koffi Anan cheerleading the underminging of the UN, claiming that that sometimes the UN had to be worked around to achieve the best result!!!!

Bush didnt do anything Clinton and Europe hadnt done already - he wouldnt get a mandate so he ignored it. The *only* difference was that Europe and Anan suddenly did a complete philisophical 180 - now the UN was *the* authority on just war! The UN has *never* been the authority on just war, ever. A multitude of conflicts have ranged around the world and no one asks the UN for permisson. The actual idea that the UN should be the final authority on war isnt the norm - its revolutionary!

Bush and the US regime has engaged on a dangerous policy of unilaterlism?

Again, theres been no change in philosophy from Clinton - The Bush administration lives up to the doctrine coined by Madeline Albright, acting multilaterally where possibly, unilaterally when necessary - sounds like something Rumsfeld would say, doesnt it? I.E. allies are nice, but not required if they feel it important enough to go it alone.

The Bush borked the Kyoto Treaty?

This is crazy - Clinton *signed* the Treaty, but he never got it ratified by the American Congress, because it would be like tossing a lamb into a lion pit. Clinton simply wimped out of the harsh reality that a deal which was so much against US interests would never be passed by US lawmakers. Bush simply accepted reality and courted some political support from those opposed to it in the first place.

And indeed ratifying the treaty is only a token effort - Last I heard Ireland, who ratified the deal, was way over its target emissons. Which is worse? Rejecting a deal, or ignoring it?

Bush is the pawn of big business?

This is great - I didnt know this, but when I found it out I learned I wasnt cynical enough. The top three contributors to Al Gores campaign in 2000......were the also the top three contributors to George Bushs campaign. Talk about hedging your bets! It would stand to reason that if Bush is a slave to his backers, and directs policy on their behalf, then Gore - Clintons VP - would also be a slave to his backers, and thus would have directed exactly the same policy on his behalf.

Bush is attempting to cement US world domination? Have you read that Project for a New American website?

Seriously - should he be planning towards losing American domination? Was this what Clinton was doing? Planning for the US to lose its massive edge and become militarily and economically weaker? So the US wants to be the eternal hegemon - best of luck to them. The world needs a hegemon, that is so powerful that no one can contemplate war against them, especially a hegemon that is fairly benevolent and is idealogically at least for free trade and economic/personal liberties.

The other options are an uneasy peace between several great powers, such as prior to WW1? Or perhaps another hegemon instead of the US, such as China - which is neither benign or idealogically for free trade and economic or personal liberties. Europe will never rival the US in our life times for hegemonic status, so we all better be hoping the US succeeds in cementing its role as the unchallenged superpower. The other options are far worse.

I mean when you look at it, when you compare Bush to Clinton and see the wildly opposing views on them its incomprehensible. You can only say that people hate Bush because hes Republican, plays up his Texan and religious values, and has an amusing speech impediment. The level of vitrol and pure hate just doesnt make any sense on a rational level.

Advertisement