Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Online Music (Legit)

• 19-05-2004 2:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

AllOfMp3.com

been using this for a few weeks now, they have a good selection of albums and singles available dirt cheap. You pay for the bandwidth you use, I think it's something like $10 for 5Gb. You can choose what format and what bit rate you want to download in. I'd recommend downloading they're AllOfMp3 Explorer, a little program that sits in your systray and manages your downloads, once you pick you songs on the web page this downloads and handles resumes etc.

They're totally legal due to the way Russian copyright law works Linkage
    but it's probably best to not let too many people know about it because
    certain oRgInisAAtions have been know to get laws changed to suit themselves.
    Still after all the bargains I've picked up here I had to pass it on.

[Mods] I know this stinks of the kind of thing that's not allowed here but I've looked into it quit a bit and it does seem to be fully legal

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually the music rights holders are currently in dispute with the organisation that licenses to allofmp3 and other companies, because the music rights holders have gotten little or no money from the organisation. There is an article in the regsiter about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

i've been using em for a while, i like the preview feature, listening to a bit of pearl jam at the mo!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Originally posted by bk
    Actually the music rights holders are currently in dispute with the organisation that licenses to allofmp3 and other companies, because the music rights holders have gotten little or no money from the organisation. There is an article in the regsiter about it.

Under Russian law the organisation holds all the rights to foreign music. They pay out the same royalties as for CDs sold in Russia.
    It's kind of like the CDWow thing again where they don't want people in one country to be able to buy at the same price as another country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭d4

Is it just me or is it very slow at downloading the files.I've used other russian sites before and they download in less then a minute, and i am on a high speed network.Does there download program speed up the process??

I haven't tried doing it direct from the website so I'm not sure what I'd get for that, with their program I average around 50Kb/s so most stuff does come down in less than a minute. That's from behind on a regular eircom dsl line and behind a firewall/proxy server ( it works fine with these btw)

• Advertisement

Could you tell me the name of that download program?Or where i can find it on their site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

www.allofmp3.com
    Originally posted by d4
    Could you tell me the name of that download program?Or where i can find it on their site?

Found it without that last smart link
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by d4
    I've used other russian sites before

I'd say ya have ya dirty fecker.

You'd better hope its the Judge Curtin squad that arrive at your door with the search warrant...;)

They just did ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Excelllent bargain:0)

There server appears slow?? None the less, when its that cheap it is worth the wait!!

Thanks for that one :-)

Ka:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

how much is it ? I cannt find any pricing info on the website ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Direct Quote from AllofMp3.com

AllOFMP3.com presents: "VIP Club".

Become VIP Club registered member and get privileged access to all materials of AllOFMP3.com. Registration at VIP Club requires payment.

As VIP Club member you get the following priveleges:

you may order and download all materials of AllOFMP3.com;
    you may listen to previews of all tracks and albums available at AllOFMP3.com's catalogue;
    you may use (*) and (**);
    you may download files without any time/amount restrictions (your account remains active as long as you have funds at your balance);
    download speed upto 100 Mbps.

Service payment for VIP Club members:

01 per 1 Mbyte of audio data for albums marked by vip and (*) icons;
    $0.02 per 1 Mbyte of audio data for albums marked by (**) icon
    (all audio materials marked by are also available for orders with service).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Do these guys do a sideline in spyware, scumware, viruses, or any other wares that might have me make embarassing calls to my IT guy in a few weeks?

There would be no problem with me downloading stuff in here, so long as it didn't cause problems of itself. One guy in here went to try out a similar (UK) site, and had all sorts of issues afterwards.

It seems ok to me altough you can never be too sure. I've been scanning a few times the last couple of days because I got hit with CWS last week and there doesn't seem to be anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks Stephenmu, I might go for it, they seem to have a very wide selection of music (even the Beatles, and Lord knows that can't have been easy). Something like this is very useful for filling gaps in your music collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use them a lot too, is great to be able to get great quality music at an affordable price, as to speed, find using the "mp3explorer" application to be a godsend, it just downloads whatever you que without having to click a billion links on the site, v handy.
    Increase the "default streams per thread" to 5 in its settings and and speed shouldn't be an issue, at least my 1mb line is usually maxed out with that setting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Does anyone know have the music industry accepted the royaly payments made by allofmp3 through ROMS (The russian licenceing body that allofmp3 pays)?

see here
    http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3faq.htm#Is%20Allofmp3%20legal?

if they have then they have pretty much legitimised the service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I've been using this site a good bit since last week. There is tons of completely free music on the site too! Particularly compilations, singles and soundtracks.

3 examples:

Radiohead - Greatest Hits 2001 - Free
    Santana - Greatest Hits 2000 - Free
    Talking Heads - Have 11 albums, 10 of them are Free

They don't come much cheaper than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Speed:-
    allofmp3.jpg

THose Talking Heads albums aren't free (they might have been when you downlaoded them).
    vip.jpg

This is free...
    free.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmm you are right, Reactor, those albums are all coming up VIP for me now. They were definitely free when I downloaded some of them a few days ago. I wonder if there was some kind of offer for the first few days of use where these albums were free. Or maybe it was a bug. It didnt change my balance though.

The Radiohead and Santana ones are now also marked for VIP. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ive been using the site for the last couple of weeks. It's very good and has a great selection (even some older rare stuff).

Hey kida, nice post :)

Where can you see on the site, the freebies ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Great post, kida!

It inspired me to find this site, with a list of free albums for download at allofmp3.

http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3free.htm

Nice !! , lots of good stuff there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I've been using www.allofmp3.com since I posted this thread here a few weeks ago!

Top top top top top site! For the first time since I got broadband I'm starting to have to seriously watch my 8gb per month download limit... :D

They're also just released an updated and vastly improved version of their download manager Allofmp3 Explorer, now it lets you do easy peasy proper searches for what you're looking for as well as letting you check out the album art and preview every song! Even if this can't go on forever (and once it becomes too popular it probably won't) I fully intend to milk it for as much music that my download limit and hard drive can take. Speaking of hard drives, I think I might need to get another one of those in the not-too-distant future as well!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

It seems that some vip albums are free too. When I went to download Supertramp's "Paris" album, instead of saying order these songs, the button says, add selected songs to my downloads. Nicely surprised!

Here's the link: http://songs.allofmp3.com/mcatalog.shtml?group=1658&album=9&albref=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rom1

Has anyone tried http://www.mp3search.ru?
    It seems even cheaper than http://www.allofmp3.com (0.05$ per song).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Fearo

Yep I use it a fair bit. Its not as good as allofmp3 but has some albums hard to find. You cant choose what quality you want the song but most of the time its 192 mp3.

Advertisement