Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd IBB 3-rock behaviour

• 19-05-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

This isn't a new occurence, but after setting a queue to d/l the new fedora core 2 ISO's off heanet.ie last night, I saw the following in far better detail:

Every so often, roughly similar intervals - say about 30/45 mins, my transmitter will lose it's connection to it's associated gateway for about 20 seconds before picking up again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Unless you're specifically paying attention, it'll look like either an inability to "connect" to websites/mail servers/etc or major lag if playing online computer games for, as I said, about 10/20 seconds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I have exactly the same problem all the time- goes down for 20-30 seconds and then back up...im wondering if its IBB or my router-heard it mite be firmware related?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

yep something is funky on 3 Rock.

My nntp download speed has ben fluctuating a lot in the past few days and right now I'm crawling well under my contention ratio !!!

Warming up the phone for a call to their uber support tomorrow morning.

I havnt been able to get more than 3k down on average for the last 2 days as well :(

... I've unplugged the POE box for a few minutes as well as my router and things seems back to normal... may be they've been doing some upgrade ?

I've restarted OnlineEye Pro to monitor the traffic over night and tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

you gotta love online eye pro and its history graph. Its made my life easy in the past when i was trying to prove that my connection was consistantly slow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Drop them an e-mail with the details to support@irishbroadband.ie as there is no point complaining about your bad speeds here as they won't know people are having a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    Drop them an e-mail with the details to support@irishbroadband.ie as there is no point complaining about your bad speeds here as they won't know people are having a problem.

Did already (well phone call). Nothing back so far. Myself and two others, all off off three-rock, lost our connections simultaneously on tuesday night. The other two are running the VL kit too.

Just wondering if you guys are still having problems. Over the last few days the pings have reduced even further! down to single digits to some UK servers for me! I'd say they were doing work, and thats whats improved the service, and also why you had no connection.

EDIT: I suppose i should say that 9ms was the lowest ping i saw in the server, but it was averaging about 13ms.

Over the last two days my connection has got a lot better-speeds are a bit up and down but much improoved so yeah maybe you are right about the temp work mutant.

...3 Rock acting up again ? Anyone ?

• Advertisement

Been pretty bad speed wise and disconnections since bout 4-5 oclock this evening

back to normal... :) Let's hope it lasts...

yep same here lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Just wondering if you guys are still having problems. Over the last few days the pings have reduced even further! down to single digits to some UK servers for me! I'd say they were doing work, and thats whats improved the service, and also why you had no connection.

EDIT: I suppose i should say that 9ms was the lowest ping i saw in the server, but it was averaging about 13ms.

Hey Mutant, you should've waited until you were top before taking the screenshot :p

i decided to take a screenshot before i was too far down the list. It would have been embarressing to put up a screenshot with me on 1-13 or something rediculous like that, and theres no way i was gonna try doctoring an image, it'd be way to hard to do in paint.

Apparently the 3.5ghz is being rolled out in Cork...
    IBB 3.5ghz press release

Dublin must not be too far behind, if so they might be upgrading the transmitters which could be the cause of the transmitter acting up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

gsand - what type of router do you have, if it is a smc barricade ( wireless ) i had similar problems. Latest firmware resolves this.

Anybody here on the Glasnevin ( smurfit tower ) node - had a bad 2 weeks but all seems back to normal now -

Although I am geting nowhere near 9ms ping - more link 30 - 50ms :(

no its a dlink 604 not wireless-i thought about firmware upgrade but i dont wana mess with it too much lol-speeds are ok now-but disconnections vary from every 30-60mins to every few hours-duno wat it is...maybe intereference with the signal? seems to happen a lot more during the day than at night.

it's really flaky at the moment... I'm going to ring them tomorrow to find out what's up with 3 Rock.

im on 8:1 and it seems to get worse in afternoon and evening times then picks up again later at nite, let us know wat they say if u get nything concrete off them will ya

• Advertisement

Jesus ! I emailed them thursday nite and they called me back on Friday! I'm impressed.

But the guy on the phone told me that all was fine... strange... I told him exactly what gsand is saying and he says nop... then he sent me a graph of my connection which show exactly that.

I had to a problem with OnlineEye so I've re-installed it and monitor the data during the weekend.

I also asked about the 3.5ghz on Dublin and they said in the next few months.

I must say that over the last week I have been absolutely flying speed wise-hope this continues-well done on the improvements-heres hoping it continues :)

yes same for me.
    But tonite seems really slow.

yes me too lol-been very slow all day today-definetly seems to be the tower as we both tend to be getting poor speeds at the same time-ah well hopefully itll be sorted by 2moro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have been experiencing the exact same problems, however I contributed it to my Wireless AP interfering with the IBB signal.

Gonna disable the AP and run the network over cables to see if the connection continues to drop off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I have been experiencing the exact same problems, however I contributed it to my Wireless AP interfering with the IBB signal.

Gonna disable the AP and run the network over cables to see if the connection continues to drop off.

I had the same problem for the first month and was able to replicate it over cable - so I think that interference could not have been a possibility ( 2.5mhz ) and the techies at IBB agree.

My problems came from the 54mbps smc barricade wireless router and card but once these were update with the latest firmware... things are much more stable - bar the IBB technial hitch 1 a month :)

Other things to look at are of course - cordless phones or another AP nearby.

Am interested to know how you get on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That only makes sense if you are off the same high site

I have wi-fi network at home (2.4ghz) and it can't interfere with IBB's gear (5.7ghz) and I had so so speeds yesterday and everything went super fine around 00:30am until 6:00am. See attached jpg.

Also, before I got the VL gear I had the regular 2.4ghz form IBB and there was no interference either at the time.

I only got back from work at 5 but looks like speeds very average at best all day and generally quite low :( -we'll have to see how it goes over the weekend now

• Advertisement

speed went from very good (6:00am) to very bad (10:00pm) slightly under my contention ratio.

Advertisement