Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Network Router Problem

Options
  • 19-05-2004 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm doing a project in college on networks and I'm having problems. I have to simulate an network with two subnets.

I have 2 cisco 1700 routers 2 3com switches and two PCs. I have everything setup (IP addresses, Subnet masks, workgroups), I have the two router WIC ethernet cards connected using a crossover cable, I have the switches connected to the routers fast ethernet ports, and finally the PC's ethernet cards connected to the switches.

When you try to ping the other pc on the network it says "Destination host unreachable"

Its possible to ping the other router using hyperterminal through the first router.

I eliminated the routers out of the network and just used the switches to test if the problem was with them but they worked fine, so its something to do with the routers or maybe the IP addresses.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

Probably just need to add a static route into the routing table so the routers know where to pass the packets on to.

What are the IPs on each interface?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Ok Obo,
    The Addresses on the 2 wic cards 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, and the fastethernet ports on the routers are 10.1.1.3 and 10.2.2.3.
    The Pc cards addresses are 10.1.1.2 and 10.2.2.1.

How would you go about adding the static route to the routing table. I'm sure thats a very easy thing to do, so sorry about the newbie questions.
    Cheers
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.t.scott/Technical/ccna-revision-notes.html#iprouting

Static route :
    ip route <destn net> <mask> <next_hop / exit intf> <admin distance> <permanent>.
    Benefits : no CPU overhead, no bandwidth used between routers for routing protocol, security (easy to restrict routes).
    Disadvantages, administrator must throroughly understand network, route must be added manually to all relevant routers, not feasible in large network due to administrative overhead.

(on router with 192.168.0.1)

ip routing;
    ip route 10.2.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.0.2;

(on router with 192.168.0.2)
    ip routing ;
    ip route 10.1.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.0.1;

assuming that the subnets are the same, and no security access rules apply.

If you still have issues, might be worth posting a
    sh conf
    result

ressem,
    You are an absolute legend.

Thanks a million, that worked perfectly.
    Tony

That's pretty much it. :)

Before you update the routes you can do a quick show ip route just so you can see what routes the router knows. If it's not on the list, the packets get dropped. In some cases you'll want a default route for 0.0.0.0/0 as a catch all (for internet access).

If you use show cdp neighbors you can see the router already knew about the other router (a router will know what other routers it is directly connect to), but it didn't know what was beyond it.

• Advertisement

Ok Fellas,
    Another problem (I'm deffo gonna fail this project!), I can ping now between the Pcs using the routers but when we try and do anything other than ping (eg. share files or see the other computer on the network) it doesnt work. I have set up the work groups and pc names and it works perfectly when using just a switch or a cross over cable.

Do you have to set up access lists or permission lines on the router?

Cheers
    Tony

I assume you are mapping a drive to a remote shared folder? Are you doing this by name (\\PCNAME\SHARE) or IP (\\x.x.x.x\SHARE)?

If you are using names, I think you may have a problem as the routers will isolate the two subnets (separate collision domains). So when one PC broadcasts looking for the other PC it won't find it sice the router won't forward those broadcast packets. And since I assume you don't have a WINS server or domain controller you'd be sorta stuck there. (Not 100%, as I'm not well up on how NetBIOS transmits/searches. Some homework for me :)).

Whereas if you sharing is setup with IPs, it's a more direct route. The PC knows to transmit to the router and the router knows where to pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Assuming that you don't have the ability to add entries to a DNS server, add entries on each machine in the "hosts" file in
    C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

Add in entries for the machines to associate the IP with a hostname.
    10.1.1.2 project1
    10.2.2.1 project2

And you should be able to use smb \\project2 to view shared resources from project1 and vice versa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Are u in CIT by anychance!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Flog the two routers and get yourself on a Network+ course :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement