Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows not detecting a ringing modem

Options
  • 19-05-2004 2:59pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place.

I have a set up where I receive data via modem from various external pc's via normal phone line. Sometimes the modem is being used regularily to the point that when it hangs up one call it connects another. Sometimes I need to reboot the machine but while rebooting if a call comes in (i.e. ringing) before Windows has loaded - the modem is ringing. not answerd - Windows does not detect that the modem is connected. i.e. the modem is not available to Windows.

I am using an external modem - doesn't seem to happen with internal ones. The only way I can solve the problem is to reboot and make sure that no calls are coming in until Windows has fully loaded.

The modem is OK as this is happening with any external modem I use.

Any ideas?

Hyzepher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you need to understand the s0=0 and s0=1 strings.

By default a modem is set to s0=0 (make a call not answer one)

You need to put the modem into this default mode while rebooting and then launch the answering program which will grab the modem and send an s0=1 string to answer mode , sorted.

Not quite sure when to send in to the modem, certainly not along with the ath command (in the registery) which is the default hangup string.

Maybe in a logoff.bat during shutdown.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The modem doesn't actually answer the call - the line just rings. When this happens while rebooting Windows wont detect the modem.

The modem wont answer the phone until my application is up and running - and that requires the modem to be recognised by Windows.

ANy ideas?

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Still sounds strange.

Find out what inf file is used for your modem.

EG if it is a Us Robotics it is picked up from information in c:\windows\inf\mdmusr.inf and then initialised by windows using AT commands (long ones ) pasted in there. Hint, the inf file may be a different date from most of the rest if installed from CD when you installed the modem.

Paste the AT commands out of your .inf file in here out of interest along with the chipset manufacturer which should be Rockwell/Conexant OR Lucent OR USR , they have different commands for doing the same thing and different S Registers.

Is the modem set to use Xon/Xoff by any chance ?

M

Advertisement