Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Nistelrooy

• 19-05-2004 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

would the Man Utd fans consider Morientes + €10M a fair swap deal for Ruud?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Judging by Morientes form in the Champions League....YES!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Might just happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

its a good deal but if can keep van nistelrooy then we should

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I don't know to be honest, I think morientes is a bit of a moaner.

Why exactly did Madrid get rid off (on loan) a player who is obviously a tremendous talent and who has now cost them a possible shot at a trophy.

I would feel that RVN "loves" the club more than Morientes does and he can handle the rough and tumble of the PL, I would doubt Morientes on this point.

Another point, I would see them as very similar players, now why would you sell a player who is settled in the club with a very similar. if RVN really wants to leave then fair enough, if the board see the 10 million as been a serious factor then they are obviously more interested in the PLC than the club.

I for one will be very suprised if he leaves. I would prefer to spend 15 million on Morientes than 5 milllion on that ape Smith.

The game on Saturday will tell a tale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Absolutely not!!!

Morientes isn't in the same league as Van Nist

Van Nist had a bad season and had been injured a lot
    He stilled banged in 18/19 goals in the premiership.
    He also scored 6/7 in the champions league!

Morientes has done **** all in his league
    and has impressed in a couple of champions league matches.

The reason he didn't get into the Real team is twofold.

One, he is nowhere near consistant enough
    Two, hes a big moaner who wouldn't do well in Fergie's squad rotation policies

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Probably not worth it considering Morientes is older and €10m isn't a lot to be fiddling around with swapping star players.

I disagree that RVN is in a different league to Morientes though. RVN has a much better strike rate in his 3 seasons in the premiership and with PSV, but imo La Liga is a more difficult league, Raul's goal scoring record isn't all that fantastic either. El Moro's international goal scoring record is a lot better than Rutgerus Johannes Martinus van Nistelrooijs. ;)

In addition to that I don't think they are the same kind of player. Both forwards yes, but Morientes drops back a lot more and gets involved more from what I've seen, he's a lot more skillful and cunning than RVN, if less of a predator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I would be hugely disappointed if RVN left man united. he has been brilliant since he came and he scores for fun. I know he has had a bad season but he still got over 20 goals this season. Plus i think him and Saha can link up well.

Morientes is a good player but Madrid loaned him out for some reason and i'm unsure of him. Why did he go to Monaco?? why not a bigger club in Italy or Germany?

It will be interesting to see what Madrid do with him, do they sell him or keep him. but i think Raul and Ronaldo are good together so i belive they will sell.

Some background to my question ...

Real Madrid asked Man Utd for a serious price for the player. The board came back with the figure of €27M which is close to what Real were offering earlier in the year, at the time the PLC were chancing their arm asking for €45M. Raul was offered as a straight swap for RVN, to which the Man Utd board said no - they wanted cash to fund summer transfers. Madrid came back with an offer of Morientes plus €10M, they have previously made it known to some of the top European clubs that the player is available for half of his contract buy out clause (€35M) which is where the Arsenal and Chelsea link comes from. Man Utd have since come back and said that they now want €32M for Ruud.

There will be big changes at Madrid this summer - the Brazilian contingent could be joining Chelsea as early as next week. Roberto Carlos has been told that the contract extension offer on the table is final and if it's money he's after then he will be sold to Chelsea. He has been told that he has until next Tuesday to decide. The club have also received an offer in the region of €45-50M for Ronaldo from Chelsea, the board are tired of his off the pitch antics and are seriously considering saying yes to the bid. The final decision will be left to Camacho if/when he takes over as manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

And the source of all this is!!!!

Sounds like a pile of crap to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I don't think I'd be happy with that!! As good as Morientes is, I believe RvN to be a lot better.

Just found this article Morientes Move
    Spain striker Fernando Morientes claims a deal which would see him join an unnamed club at the end of the season is "90% done".

The 28-year-old has spent the season on loan at Monaco after falling out of favour at Real Madrid.

And, despite still having two years left on his contract with the recently-deposed Spanish champions, Morientes is eager to further his career elsewhere.

According to French newspaper L'Equipe, Chelsea are the club in question but a cautious Morientes refused to reveal their identity.

"We are slowly coming to an agreement and we can say that the deal is 90% done," he said.

"I really like the idea of joining that club but by the time the contract is sealed and signed it might take a little while and I might have to go back to Real Madrid at the end of the season."

Morientes, who has also been linked with a move to Juventus, Roma and Arsenal, is reportedly the top target of Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich - a man who would have no qualms about paying the 12million euro asking price.

Abramovich is thought to have been impressed by the player during Monaco's two-legged victory over the London side in the semi-finals of the Champions League where Morientes scored in both games.

The link with Roma came as speculation mounts that Madrid may use him as a bargaining tool to try and attract Argentina defender Walter Samuel to the Bernabeu.

Morientes, however, has firm ideas about where he wants to go next season.

"I can't be forced to go where I don't want to go," he said. "I play football to be happy."

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kida
    And the source of all this is!!!!

Sounds like a pile of crap to me.
    Somebody well connected with football in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

looks like a blatant attempt at trolling United fans to me. Back up what you say or don't say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

looks like a blatant attempt at trolling United fans to me. Back up what you say or don't say it.

I have to say kida, I'd more than likely to listen to what Bannor has to say because he broke a lot of the transfer stories at the end of last season [e.g. Ronaldinho]!

Believe what you want, but my source is genuine - there is no trolling. Those who recall what I was passed on regarding Ronaldinho last summer will know it's good information.

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    I have to say kida, I'd more than likely to listen to what Bannor has to say because he broke a lot of the transfer stories at the end of last season [e.g. Ronaldinho]!
    Thanks for the support. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Bannor
    Some background to my question ...

Real Madrid asked Man Utd for a serious price for the player. The board came back with the figure of €27M which is close to what Real were offering earlier in the year, at the time the PLC were chancing their arm asking for €45M. Raul was offered as a straight swap for RVN, to which the Man Utd board said no - they wanted cash to fund summer transfers. Madrid came back with an offer of Morientes plus €10M, they have previously made it known to some of the top European clubs that the player is available for half of his contract buy out clause (€35M) which is where the Arsenal and Chelsea link comes from. Man Utd have since come back and said that they now want €32M for Ruud.

So let me get this straight. United valued RVN at €27m, which is £18m give or take. They were willing to part with their top scorer in over the past few seasons for £6m more than they bought him for? Now they value him at €32m (which is £21m and £9m profit on what they paid for him) or Morientes + €10m.

This sounds like BS to be honest. I'm sure you did 'break' a story last season but that donsn't make everything you come out with gospel. He're hoping your well wide of mark on this bit of gossip.

Curious as to what value you would place on a player who doesn't want to stay at the club? Keeping in mind that the only club offering monopoly money for players now is Chelsea.

The story certainly isn't BS, but you're free to believe what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Kida,
    Bannor doesn't post stories like this for a troll. His sources are usually well informed and accurate.

The story certainly isn't BS, but you're free to believe what you want.

When I said it was BS I meant it from a United fans point of view, as in I think it's a bad deal. I didn't mean that your bit of was gossip was bull.

By the way, this should be classed as gossip until it's confirmed by either the player or either of the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Real wanted to swap Raul for Nistelrooy ? , if this is true i guess it was the doing of Perez prooving he is the stupidest person ever to get such a good job .

Raul for Nistelrooy ( me laughs )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the fascination people have with Raul? He's been gash for a few seasons now (since Ronaldo arrived, or Morientes was dropped, whichever way you want to read it).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Id like to see Morientes play for united if he played like he did in the Champions League. Ruud has not been on form recently and I couldnt rule out a move away from old trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by SteM
    So let me get this straight. United valued RVN at €27m, which is £18m give or take. They were willing to part with their top scorer in over the past few seasons for £6m more than they bought him for? Now they value him at €32m (which is £21m and £9m profit on what they paid for him) or Morientes + €10m.
    Van Nistelrooy was signed for £18.5m or €27.5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Morientes has had a good CL but he has done crap in the French league. He has only scored 10 goals ffs! Hardly ground breaking.

Anyone who puts him in the same league as RVN needs their head examined. RVN has done consistently amazing for the last 3 years, in the CL and PL. He had his first drought ever this year, and still scored 20+ goals.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Van Nistelrooy was signed for £18.5m or €27.5m.

Oh, sorry. I thought it was £12.5m. So United would stand to make £2.5m profit? Even worse.

It would seem that L'Equipe have different sources to Bannor. RVN may yet go to Real but it doesn't look like Morientes will be coming in the opposite direction....

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040520/4/3xl2.html

Spain striker Fernando Morientes claims a deal which would see him join an unnamed club at the end of the
    season is "90% done".

The 28-year-old has spent the season on loan at Monaco after falling out of favour at Real Madrid.

And, despite still having two years left on his contract with the recently-deposed Spanish champions,
    Morientes is eager to further his career elsewhere.

According to French newspaper L'Equipe, Chelsea are the club in question but a cautious Morientes refused
    to reveal their identity.

"We are slowly coming to an agreement and we can say that the deal is 90% done," he said.

"I really like the idea of joining that club but by the time the contract is sealed and signed it might
    take a little while and I might have to go back to Real Madrid at the end of the season."

Morientes, who has also been linked with a move to Juventus, Roma and Arsenal, is reportedly the top target
    of Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich - a man who would have no qualms about paying the 12million
    euro asking price.

Abramovich is thought to have been impressed by the player during Monaco's two-legged victory over the
    London side in the semi-finals of the Champions League where Morientes scored in both games.

The link with Roma came as speculation mounts that Madrid may use him as a bargaining tool to try and
    attract Argentina defender Walter Samuel to the Bernabeu.

Morientes, however, has firm ideas about where he wants to go next season.

"I can't be forced to go where I don't want to go," he said. "I play football to be happy."

It would seem that L'Equipe have different sources to Bannor. RVN may yet go to Real but it doesn't look like Morientes will be coming in the opposite direction....

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040520/4/3xl2.html
    If I have learned anything from the information that I receive it's this - when it comes to football transfers nothing is certain until the deal is signed sealed and delivered. When Man Utd valued RVN at €27M, Real offered Morientes (€17.5M) + €10M cash. Man Utd then came back and said that they wanted €32M. Morientes has told Real that if he is to be sold to a Premiership club then his choice is London over Manchester - Ultimately the decision is up to the player as Harry Kewell demonstrated last summer.

If Monaco win the final next week then my source expects the player to sign for Chelsea for more than the €17.5M that he was previously offered for.

If I have learned anything from the information that I receive it's this - when it comes to football transfers nothing is certain until the deal is signed sealed and delivered. When Man Utd valued RVN at €27M, Real offered Morientes (€17.5M) + €10M cash. Man Utd then came back and said that they wanted €32M. Morientes has told Real that if he is to be sold to a Premiership club then his choice is London over Manchester - Ultimately the decision is up to the player as Harry Kewell demonstrated last summer.

If Monaco win the final next week then my source expects the player to sign for Chelsea for more than the €17.5M that he was previously offered for.

Bannor, you came on here posting a bit of gossip you had. There's a different story going around this morning saying Morientes is going to a different club and I posted it under the relevant thread. I don't think there's a problem doing this as it shows how much things can change in player transfers in the space of a few days.

Like I say it's all speculation until a deal is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Oh, sorry. I thought it was £12.5m. So United would stand to make £2.5m profit? Even worse.
    Yeah I know. That's why I don't think he'll move for the sort of money (i.e. Utd breaking even) that's been mentioned. The simply can't replace him for the money that's being offered. I think it would be awful weird if they took €32m for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Was going to start a new thread for this but think theres not enough going:

In The Star today they listed each of United players wages:
    Weekly Wage
    Tim Howard...............€60,000
    Roy Carroll.................€27,000
    Gary Neville..............€100,000
    Phil Neville..................€90,000
    Wes Brown.................€90,000
    Mikael Silvestre...........€75,000
    John O'Shea................€75,000
    Eric Djemba Djemba....€60,000
    Darren Flethcer...........€38,000
    Ronaldo......................€45,000
    Nicky Butt...................€90,000
    Paul Scholes..............€120,000
    Roy Keane.................€150,000
    Solskjaer...................€105,000
    RVN...........................€105,000
    Ryan Giggs................€105,000

Total is just under €1,350,0000 Per Week

I have to say I'm a little shocked at some of those, Gary Neville on €100,000 and Scholes earning more than RVN!!, I wouldn't be surprised if Solskjaer was sold with that high wage as well.

Ladbrooks are offering 6/4 on RVN to leave United this summer - they seem to think it'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Real will defo put an offer in, whether its tempting enough for united to take or not i dunno....Id say united would accpet anything like £25+mil, Real are also after Totti tho so I reckon they will fancy their chances of signing him considering the kinda debts Roma are in. I doubt they will sign both players, one or the other....altho the kinda money people are sayin ghte would recieve for Ronaldo/Morientes/Carlos from Chelsea leads me to believe they might have that kinda buying power.

Ronaldo to chelsea: 30+ mil
    Carlos to chelsea: £20 mil
    Moirentes to ?? : 17mil

would give Real alot of pocket money to be spending....they need a good "water carrier" midfielder. I heard there is a possibility of Ayala being offered in exchange for Moirentes, dunno how true it is however...I reckon real would find this very tempting..Ayala is a key member of the Valencia team and surely with Himself and Samuel, Helguera could possible cover the defence from midfield?

Originally posted by irish1
    Was going to start a new thread for this but think theres not enough going:

In The Star today they listed each of United players wages:
    Weekly Wage
    Tim Howard...............€60,000
    Roy Carroll.................€27,000
    Gary Neville..............€100,000
    Phil Neville..................€90,000
    Wes Brown.................€90,000
    Mikael Silvestre...........€75,000
    John O'Shea................€75,000
    Eric Djemba Djemba....€60,000
    Darren Flethcer...........€38,000
    Ronaldo......................€45,000
    Nicky Butt...................€90,000
    Paul Scholes..............€120,000
    Roy Keane.................€150,000
    Solskjaer...................€105,000
    RVN...........................€105,000
    Ryan Giggs................€105,000

Total is just under €1,350,0000 Per Week

I have to say I'm a little shocked at some of those, Gary Neville on €100,000 and Scholes earning more than RVN!!, I wouldn't be surprised if Solskjaer was sold with that high wage as well.

These are interesting but weird figures.

Mikael Silvestre (french international)...........€75,000
    v
    Wes Brown (injury prone).................€90,000

How did that happen? Mikael needs to get himself a better agent!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its all about when you sign.

RVN wasn't as good as Scholes when he signed imo :)

Slyvestre has had great seasons but imo wasn't up to the standerd Brown was before he starteed getting in jury problems.

If RVN wants more wages he would say it to Man Utd and they would give it in a second.
    He has never said he was unhappy at all at all!
    I Don't know why any of this started?

Also I'd imagine RVN has a very hefty goal bonus while Scholes wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Those figures are just typical from the star there plucked from thin air,

Tim Howard on €60,000 he was signed as utds third choice this season,so they'd hardly give him that much, with roy carroll who started this season as number two on half that.

John o shea has only recently signed a new contract and wont even be on half that,he's not an established player with only two seasons at the top level.

I'd ignore those figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Howard was signed as first choice! He went straight into the team and Fab was told to sling his hook. Carroll stayed as no.2

I would rate RvN as one of the top 5 strikers in Europe. I wouldnt rate Morientes in the top 10 - maybe the top 20. He's got a few important goals in CL games, but I dont think he's been outstanding in any game, and I never thought he was good enough for Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think the only reason he went straight into the united team was because they were playing in USA. He impressed while playing there and deserved to stay on...Barthez was never really in the plan for this season....I think fergie genuinely thought Carroll would be his first choice. On the wages thing, I very much doubt those figures are accurate....RVN signed a new contract last year....if he had knowledge of those figures he would have asked for more. Id say the keane one and the Ronaldo ones are about the most accurate there. Cant see Fletcher being on 38,000 in his first full season...Its monopoly money like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Howard was signed as first choice! He went straight into the team and Fab was told to sling his hook. Carroll stayed as no.2

I would rate RvN as one of the top 5 strikers in Europe. I wouldnt rate Morientes in the top 10 - maybe the top 20. He's got a few important goals in CL games, but I dont think he's been outstanding in any game, and I never thought he was good enough for Real.

As Johnor has said he wasnt signed as first choice,fergie thought he had potential thats why he has expressed surprise at how well he has done this season,i dont fergie could have seriously thought he could replace Barthez with a 1.2million American,But howard has played so well he has cemented the number one spot form Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    I would back that up. The chap (chapette) seems to have some good sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by johnor
    Cant see Fletcher being on 38,000 in his first full season...Its monopoly money like...
    Remember, these figures are in €'s. Liam Miller will be on £25k next season ( he was offered around £40k by Celtic), from my calculations that is also around €38k so I don't see why Fletcher wouldn't be earning the same as Miller.

Football Transfers say Scholes speculated wage is £80k (€120k) and that is exactly what the Star said. Neville's speculated wage is £70k, the Star say €100k (£66k).

I'm not going through all the players but I don't see anything suprising in those figures, I can only assume people got mixed up with the €'s. Also, just because one player is better than another doesn't mean he will be earning more. The club try to give the players the minimum wages as possible and I don't think players go around telling each other how much they're earning.

• Advertisement

...there's such an easy joke there ;)

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/article.asp?id=205311&cpid=8
    Ruud happy to remain a Red Devil
    Wednesday, 26 May 2004
    by Rob Lancaster

Ruud van Nistelrooy has declared he is happy to remain with Manchester United
    until the end of his career.

The Dutch hit-man is contracted to the FA Cup winners until the summer of
    2008, but that has not stopped stories circulating that he would be a transfer
    target for Real Madrid.

However, the 28-year-old has now stated he has no desire to leave Old Trafford
    in the near future and that he wants to finish his playing days with The Red
    Devils.

"I'm now sentenced for life with United - but that is not a punishment," he
    stated in The Sun.

"The manager is building a new team and I trust him. I don't need to go to
    Spain or another country.

"I had a long talk with Sir Alex Ferguson where he explained his future plans.
    When I signed my new contract recently, I didn't sign for the money." He
    added: "I will finish my career in Manchester."

The decision to remain in the North West is a change of heart from the former
    PSV Eindhoven star who had previously stated that he wanted to finish off in
    his homeland.

But now van Nistelrooy is adamant that he will not return to play in Holland
    and that he has no interest in a coaching career once he hangs up his boots.

"I used to think that after my time with Manchester United I'd have a couple
    more years back home in Holland with PSV again," he said.

"But I don't think like that anymore. I watch Dutch games on TV and the public
    are very negative.

"I hate that mentality and that is the reason it will be all over in 2008.

"When I stop playing I will quit the game for good and never come back into
    football."

Let the speculation commence! I think he's obviously angling for a way out of Old Trafford so he can replace Larson at Celtic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think he's obviously angling for a way out of Old Trafford so he can replace Larson at Celtic!

LOL.... RVN for Celtic!!!! Gowan ya Good Ting!!!!! :D

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    LOL.... RVN for Celtic!!!! Gowan ya Good Ting!!!!! :D

Well, my cousin's best friends mother works as a cleaner in Manchester Picadilly train station and she SWEARS the she saw someone who looks like Ruud (well he had black hair anyway) checking out the train times from Manchester to Glasgow so it must be true!

Advertisement