Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Physics - NOTES

Options
  • 19-05-2004 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I typed up a few notes while studying physics today. You guys may find them usefull. It's basically all the laws and rules we need to know. I've included page references for the "Real World Physics" book. Let me know what ye think!

Physics Laws (word document)

Joe
    :D

EDIT
    WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

JUST A NOTE TO SAY THE JOULE'S LAW BIT IN MY NOTES IS A BIT MIXED UP, SORRY.

DON'T HOLD ME RESPONISIBLE IF THERE'S SOMETHIN ELSE WRONG WITH THEM AND YOU FAIL YOUR PHYSICS.

Were the notes useful? 4 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Link disnae work.
    Damn Geocities

Attach them to teh post, or better still, upload them to my site (see Profile) </blatantplug>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Nice notes, I've started doing the same thing with my english notes recently - it seems to be a good way to revise them. If you're handy with LaTex, you might try doing one with all the equations/formulae you need, and an explanation of when you use them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Did they work for you? Still down for me.

Yeah, it worked for me. Quite a big download for a three page document though (1.1MB). A little off topic - but what option are you doing? Applied Electricity or Atomic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

We're doing the particle physics. Its way easier than the applied electricity (from what I've seen of it anyway) and there's not much they can really ask on it that will catch you out ie. there aren't many ways to vary the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

particle physics too!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

add a ? after the address. the link will work then

Thanks Dman, downloading them now.

Particle Physics here too \o/

Edit: Nice notes btw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No i still can get it to work. But before i go to the trouble of this big download, are they worth it?

Originally posted by senordingdong
    No i still can get it to work. But before i go to the trouble of this big download, are they worth it?

It's basically just the "Real World Physics" book laws all together on one sheet. TBH, you're better off writing them out yourself rather than just printing them out, it'll be easier to learn.

Has anybody not revised any section of the course they're definetly not going to do in the exam? Loads of people in my class have abandoned electricity - seems a bit stupid to me?

• Advertisement

I'm not doing electricity either. I hate it, never really clicked with me.

Originally posted by AndrewWK
    I'm not doing electricity either. I hate it, never really clicked with me.

Do you not think it's a little early to be ruling stuff out - I mean, what if it comes up in Section A - then you're forced to do the other 3, no matter how hard they are - or if there are 3 electricity questions on Q5 and there's usually a fairly easy electricity question in Q.12....

I don't think it's too early really. I've been studying things like mechanics, particle physics, light, heat etc. like mad so unless something terrible comes up I think I should be okay.

DON'T HOLD ME RESPONISIBLE IF THERE'S SOMETHIN ELSE WRONG WITH THEM AND YOU FAIL YOUR PHYSICS.

Originally posted by .-=MR. JOE=-.

Crap. Now who can I use as my scapegoat??? Blaming the teacher is just *so* blasé.

Leaving out electricity is stupid. You're severly limiting your options and even then you might not be able to completely avoid it. There's still time to read over those chapters and you should.

Originally posted by Seifer
    Leaving out electricity is stupid. You're severly limiting your options and even then you might not be able to completely avoid it. There's still time to read over those chapters and you should.

Even if you're just to learn off the definitions/laws and the forumlae, take a quick look over the experiments. It could come in *very* handy in Q5 or Q12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

Can anyone give any advice on Physics revision books? I used LSMS last year and failed:mad: . Failing Physics is the only reason I am repeating would have driven me nuts for the rest of my life.

Originally posted by Q_Elexra
    Can anyone give any advice on Physics revision books? I used LSMS last year and failed:mad: . Failing Physics is the only reason I am repeating would have driven me nuts for the rest of my life.

I've got a great one: "Physics", by Dan O'Regan - it's geared towards the old course, but it's very thorough and goes through everything you're going to need. I hear that there's another one (it's black... that's about all I know about it, don't have a name for it) that's supposed to be much better for the practicals. But, don't you think It's a bit late to be investing in a revision book at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was giving a grind recently on electricity and I can't believe how much of the stuff that they've cut out of the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Definitions there will only give you half marks, put down 3 points to be safe.. Definition; unit and/or formula.

Originally posted by NeoSlicerZ
    Definitions there will only give you half marks, put down 3 points to be safe.. Definition; unit and/or formula.

If you check the marking schemes, you don't actuall need all of that - maybe only if you mess up on the actual definition. If they want a unit/formula, they'll ask for it - but obviously it's no harm in putting it in if you know it. My teacher is constantly going on about expanding on answers, experiements, forumale, etc, but if you check the schemes, it's not required. Just a waste of valuable time really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

For the last month or so I have been convering the course on my own. I now have the whole course covered and feel MUCH better about it (my teacher is such an idiot!)

What I would like to know is what are the sections that come up for each question? We were never told this (unlike in chemistry (thats right physics and chemistry!))

for example is Q1 a test on heat of vaporisation/melting 100% of the time

or is say Q8 A question on light all the time

I need to pass physics really to get my points, Need 300 and got 350 in my mocks (computer applications) I passes in my mocks but got 40% :D:D

thanks for the help :D

There's no set structure whatsoever (except that Question 1-4 will be based on practicals). Question 5 is *usually* short questions, but is liable to change. Question 10 has been divided up into two parts, the applied electricity and particle physics option - this question is the only one thats guaranteed to be coming up for the first 3 years of the exam, after that, it's liable to change. This is only the 3rd time its being examined, so we should be ok. Since there are only 2 papers, and one (decent) sample paper, you can't find any patters. Don't even bother trying, just keep revising.

WHAT! our physcics teacher said that the option (either of them) has yet to come up!
    but that we may aswel do them just incase! what a b4st4rd!

K revision here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I heard from an apparently reliable source that we should disregard the questions from the last two years because the new course isnt old enough for them to start doubling over the questions.
    This doesnt make the course any easier but it does cut out a decent amount of stuff.

Anybody else hear about this or have any clarification/arguement on the matter?

the new course isnt old enough for them to start doubling over the questions.

I guess that sounds logical enough. Don't think I'll risk it though. :confused:

Like joe said its logical but I won't be doing it.
    The reason: for example, you don't revise any of the experiments that have come up and they repeat one; your choice is gone.
    Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Originally posted by Whywontitwrok
    WHAT! our physcics teacher said that the option (either of them) has yet to come up!
    but that we may aswel do them just incase! what a b4st4rd!

K revision here I come :D

Both options have come up every year under question 10 a and b.... if your teacher didn't know that, then if I were you, I'd be very concerned...

• Advertisement

Oh I am!!

He said they hadnt come up yet but they have the option to put them in so we better fo them :S

I have had to go through the whole course myself since easter. I got 40% in my mocks and as long I can keep that mark I *should* be OK.

Just gotta knuckle down!

Advertisement