Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Physics - NOTES

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Whywontitwrok
    I have had to go through the whole course myself since easter. I got 40% in my mocks and as long I can keep that mark I *should* be OK.

Just gotta knuckle down!

Be VERY, VERY careful. If you think you might be close to failing (40% is a bit dodgy...), then you're better off doing ordinary level. A D3 in honours is worth alot less then an A2 in ordinary level. If I were you, I'd only stick with higher if you need it for matriculation. Otherwise, I'd drop down and take the points, unless you're prepared to "knuckle down" *seriously* hard to get up past the C2 mark. Anyway, do whatever you feel is right, just beware of failing higher level.

A good tip: If youg know anybody who's doing exam supervision for the LC, the day (or sometime around that time) they start, they'll be given a booklet of corrections for exam papers - usually there's one or two for physics, maths and applied - sometimes they can give away questions (not the exact question, but you get an idea of what's being asked from the context of the correction), it's handy if you can get the info. I know of two people who predicted exactly the hydrostatics question on the applied paper about 3 years ago by this method.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Originally posted by Seifer

you don't revise any of the experiments that have come up and they repeat one; your choice is gone.

That was the point of the tip, we were told not to expect anything that has already been asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Well I believe I can pass physics, I dont just want to cope out and drop down and take the "easy" route. I want to do it cause I know I can crap teacher or not. I have learned A LOT more than I knew at my mocks and I know I can do it.

Its more for me that im doing higher level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Maths Teacher

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there on the new Physics paper. You can download files free from the Notice Board of a website set up by teachers to help students: Physics Help.

We outline all the questions on the paper telling you how to approach them and we give you summaries of all the experiments.
    Good luck with your studies.

That Physics Help website isn't very good... the general physics course summary is ok, but the practical PDFs are terrible, maybe for (very) lastminute revision (ie, looking at the pictures before you go into the exam, reading the precautions) but I don't think it would be very beneficial in revision where you actually need to go into large amoutns of detail on pracitcals, definitions, etc.

• Advertisement

Physics Website
    The mechanics question is Question 6 on the paper. I advice students not to attempt this question unless they do Applied Maths or are very good at Maths.

Total crap – I’ve never seen any question in which you need to have done applied maths. If you made any attempt whatsoever at the mechanics, question 6 should be simple. Newtons laws and equations are covered by the applied maths course, but also on the physics course. You even have to derive them for the physics course for feck sake.

I realise that some people may absolutely despise mechanics (which is generally thought of as being the easiest part of the course), many students actually do question 6. If I were you, I'd ignore the advice about only doing Q6 if you do applied. It'll only make you even more nervous while in an already nervewracking exam - consider *all* questions. Even read the applied electricity option, just in case (or vice versa for the particle physics).

Advertisement