Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WindowsXP on second comp

Options
  • 19-05-2004 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Dell with windowsXP home installed on it. I'm getting a new computer and was wondering if I could save some money by using the copy that came with the Dell. The dell would still be used, and I'm unclear as to the legalities of doing something like this, i.e is the copy of windows licenced to YOU or only licenced for the computer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Legalities - Licensed to the computer. You're only allowed install it on one machine if its an OEM copy[1]. There are steps you can take to move that licence but that's not what you're after.

Practicalities (screw legalities) - Again assuming it's a Dell OEM copy it can only be installed on a machine with a Dell BIOS without going through the activation rigmarole. Which is unlikely to be any good to you either.

[1]As far as I remember you'd only be entitled to install windows on one machine regardless (even if it's a retail copy)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

1 oem license = 1 machine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah but the legalities are a pile of pants.

I had a laptop with XP Pro stolen (which has the license key sticker on bottom of it) but I still had the original XP cd and when I called MS to see if I could re-install on a new laptop was told

"no, it's only licensed for the machine you had stolen"
    "so, you mean that the person who stole my laptop has the right to the license?"
    "technically, yes"
    "Well excuse me if I ignore that and 'pirate' my stolen key"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

"Well excuse me if I ignore that and 'pirate' my stolen key"

did you really say that?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Originally posted by sceptre

Practicalities (screw legalities) - Again assuming it's a Dell OEM copy it can only be installed on a machine with a Dell BIOS without going through the activation rigmarole. Which is unlikely to be any good to you either.

Well it's not going to be a Dell Machine so it's pretty much of a no-no?

What does the "activation rigmarole" entail? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I got a Fujitsu box, with XP home...the cd got scratched, used my bro's dell XP disk (with the fujitsu number) and it worked fine. Obviously, different BIOS. Dont think XP can be pirated, ive never seen "cracks" for it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Jammer
    I got a Fujitsu box, with XP home...the cd got scratched, used my bro's dell XP disk (with the fujitsu number) and it worked fine. Obviously, different BIOS. Dont think XP can be pirated, ive never seen "cracks" for it anywhere.

er, yes it can. It it wasn't possible I wouldn't be writing this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Anyone looking for warez should know that with the good comes the bad, ie full reformat after a shabby 47kb virus infects every exe on yo disk.

Me hates microsoft, and iz totally against the thought of me or somebody else buyin a new xp cd for a new pc. Should be a product key on the side of yo Dell pc. Use that. And btw Dell are a bunch of overchargin monkeys as well so make bloody well sure you get ur moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

As ppl have mentioned, your XP licence is licenced with the machine (OEM), so its not like a fair use personal licence that some other vendors offer, so legally you are breaking the licence by installing another copy.

But if your original activation is over 120 days old, AFAIK you can just register it again over the internet. Just hope you don't have to reactivate your first copy for some reason - or backup the little hardware key database from the first machine just in case (google on this - its well documented).

D.

Advertisement