Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars from NI??

Options
  • 19-05-2004 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with buying a car in the north and bringing it back here??

What charges so you have to pay and how much in total?
    is it recommenced practice or could you get fleeced.
    just saw a nice 318 for €10k on autotrader.ie
    a similiar one here would be closer to €15k
    whats the catch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

When you buy a car down the north and want to bring it into the south, as in get it reregistered you have to pay the VRT on it.

This is an amount that is i think and i stress i think 21% of the overall value of the car. I'm not fully sure though. I know a few people who have brought cars in and i'm going to buying a northern car in the next few weeks all going well, but i have an address in the north.

The best thing to do is ring up the customs with the full details of the car and they will get back to you with a figure. Also it costs different amounts to bring a car into different counties.

Or you could do like most and just not bother bringing it in, normally you'll get away for a while before you get a warning, but if the customs actually lift the car on you it will cost you E1500 fine to get it back and you will have to bring it in to get it back.

Overall though it does work out cheaper, especially with beemers, the north is full of them.

If you had a lot of money to spend, buy a northern golf the r32 version i think it is that isn't available in the south yet so you can tax and insure it as a normal tdi....sweet as a nut.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

VRT i THINK is 25% of 90% of the irish market value

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement