Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion on Tuesday... (100-in)

Options
  • 19-05-2004 6:40pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another frustrating night of cards. I'm going to go back to playing the freerolls and 20-in for the next while, partly because I cant afford to be splashing 100 notes on Poker a week and partly because until I shake some poker-confidence issues I cant play at that level.

Another night of seeing nothing but sh*t and trying to make something of it. Nothing hit so I was left to either play bluffs or put hands down. I out lasted Norman but that was about the only upside to a gradual decline towards short stackedness and a final stand on the Nut Flush draw against what I already knew was a pair of Aces.

I have to say, pokertroll...I tried the Merrion for its big game and I'm still not impressed. We were left for an hour without a dealer. I'm paying 100 like everyone of the 60 odd people there and only a couple of tables had dealers. Still very disorganised though better then the "wander in and play when you feel like it" freerolls. Their waiter service is better then the Fitz and the food is great but the poker still doesnt do it for me there.

The standard of poker was *dreadful* at the table and I wasnt the first to leave, though I think there were a few tourists in as one guy was confused by the blinds (in a 100-in tournie!?)

Curiously, Steve Davis walked in and played. Apparently he was over for a charity snooker demonstration in Galway and decided to play some cards.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I saw Steve play the Poker Million last year. Even though Jimmy White won it, Steve was by far the better player. I'm fairly sure he's playing this year's Poker Million too,

Have to say the more that's been written about The Merrion the more I'm put off. I've never played there so I can't comment but to only have a few dealers at a €100 entry event seems like a sham and would certainly put me off from going.

The Merrion can't really do much about the quality of players, seems like they get alotta blow-in's that know little about the game. This can have it's good points too, loads of easy chips to be won.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its not like its *painful* to play there, but I was annoyed at having to suffer the (repeated) misdeals of a few of the lads who knew little about the game. 100 quid should be enough to secure you a dealer for the entirity of the night. Give it a shot, its not a *bad* club and my quibbles are small enough but then its not a lot to ask that the place not be packed to the gills (the windows dont seem to open afaics) and that they have dealers.
    I mean, I was sitting there thinking I might as well be in mates house at a home game, except I couldnt drink or smoke and I didnt know any of the people there!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

I agree - if you are spending that much on a game of cards, the club should provide adequate dealer coverage for all tables. I don't know what is going on there the last couple of weeks as they used to always have plenty of dealers - It slows your game down, and you are at a disadvantage as you play less hands for each blind level. I'm gonna mention you it to management to see if they do anything about it.

The snooker players play quite regularly - during the Irish masters there were about 6 players in there one Sunday night. Stephen Hendry even got to the final table!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

That seems a bit off alright, I was in the Fitz on Sunday and last night and for the freeroll game on Sunday as well as the €20 game Sunday night and last night there were dealers for all the tables.

As Dev said, freerolls you would expect to have to suffer inconvienances, but once you're paying good money for it there should be a more professional air about things...

In saying that I haven't yet been to the merrion to make my own mind up, just posting my two cents in general regardless of which club you're playing at.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont like to rag on the Merrion, its really a good club (their club-sambo is a meal in itself and only a fiver). I get the feeling they are realising it themselves as they are now giving a tenner chip with every new signup (which they didnt back in Jan) and are doing a few things to improve the poker (like adding to the prize pool). I've a feeling they will get these issues sorted out, competition tends to bring up the standard... lets hope so, as then everyone wins.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Their first place was just ahead of the fitz's this week, but it was won by Noel Furlong. All the big names were around both clubs this week getting in Vegas practice it seems. Next week might be a good week to play as all the big guns will be away.....

Advertisement