Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Village, NUIG

Options
  • 19-05-2004 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Has anybody applied for accommodation in the Corrib Village if you're going to NUIG? I was thinking about applying for it - but you need to pay a €600 deposit (only €100 is refundable if you don't get a place) upfront (i.e, *now*). Seems like a bit of a rip off since I applied for a place in Kilmurray Village in UL and only paid €100 deposit (€90 refundable). NUIG is my first choice, UL my second. Anybody else applied to Corrib Village?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i went there

if you don't have to... don't

*shudder*

what a prisono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Mordeth
    what a prisono

That's what I was thinking... place looks a bit sh1t, and the contract is about 20 pages long, most of it all crap about rules and regulations. Seemed a bit excessive. I was gonna apply with a friend, but since I may not get my first choice, and I'll have to find €600 as a deposit (and lose €100 if I don't go) it seems a bit to much. Is it still hard to find student accommodation in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

I'm thinking of applying there too. I was intent on going to Gort na Coiribe but I rang up a few weeks ago and they said they're booked up with nearly 300 on the waiting list!!

I'm looking at the form here....it says €600 PLUS the first Moeity (THAT'S OVER €3000). Surely this can't be right...I call them later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Is it still hard to find student accommodation in Galway?
    if you come to galway a month or so before the colleges start, you shouldn't have much trouble.
    finding 1 room in a house won't be a problem at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah, corrib isn't really *that* bad and it does have a pretty decent community atmosphere around it, always something goin on at someone's house etc, etc.
    but the security guard that goes n that prisono wall at night, who you have to try to sneak yuor friends by is so annying :)

the apts are... bare, but liveable. if you're a first year and you just want somewhere to thrw your ****, hang out and have a few meals.. it'll do you. i think they even have the internet now? they didn't when i was there.

the shop is **** iirc but there's plenty others nearby, the laundrette... meh, a neccesary evil I suppose.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by .-=MR. JOE=-.
    I'm looking at the form here....it says €600 PLUS the first Moeity (THAT'S OVER €3000). Surely this can't be right...I call them later.

Isn't it €600 deposit with your application (ie, now) and then the first moiety within 3 days of the CAO first round offers (€1520 for a twin, and €2267 for a single).
    i think they even have the internet now? they didn't when i was there.

They say on the application forms that there's "internet availability in all rooms". But they make it sound awfully like dial-up, and that you have to pay "all call charges". Sounds like a bit of a rip off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'm going to Galway TOO!!

I didnt like the look of Corrib Village and heard it was a bit of a savaged place. From lecturers and student when I went up to the open day.

I paid my deposit for Gort Na Coirbe, which looks MUCH nicer.

I CANNE WAIT.

Damnit, I'm all excited again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I'm thinking of applying there too. I was intent on going to Gort na Coiribe but I rang up a few weeks ago and they said they're booked up with nearly 300 on the waiting list!!

Corrib Village is grand for first year, you'll get to know everyone who lives around you. It is incredibly basic, but *nih*.

Last year I didnt bother with the net access since you get it free in college, (St. Anthony's is only 5 mins walk away).

I'm in Gort na Coiribe this year, it's bloody gorgeous, but there's not a great atmosphere, better if you know people already.

The waiting list for it is huge, I know lads who applied in Feb. and didnt get in!

<< Fio >>

Is Gort na Coirbe the place out by Terryland? I would've applied for it if I'd seen any info - Corrib Village was the only one I heard of/sent the school info.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Just go to www.nuigalway.ie and go to Prospective students, accomodation. They have like 6-7 really big places on offer. Two are booked out to my knowledge. But Gort na Coirbe has reserved places for first years :D

YEAY US!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesjes
    But Gort na Coirbe has reserved places for first years :D

YEAY US!

But aren't they all reserved allready?

Don't think Gort Na Coirbe is. Go check. it will say on each site.

I emailed them all asking for applications and stuff. Quite helpful so they were.

Don't think Gort Na Coirbe is. Go check. it will say on each site.

I emailed them all asking for applications and stuff. Quite helpful so they were.

Nope - doesn't say anything on any of the sites. Gort na Coirbe does look impressive though, Dúnáras (spelling?) too. I'll e-mail them, see what the story is. Not looking forward to having to find €600+ euro deposit though...

Good luck with the other two and a half grand more!!

I'm lucky I have some money for my first year from an accident as a child. I'll be moving into "pay person, per week" accomodation in my second year. With some mates...that I'm sure to make...:)

Good luck with the other two and a half grand more!!

The problem's having to pay the €600 now, before I even start working for the Summer (which is when I'll get the €3000). Valuable summer piss-up money, gone into some management companies bank account. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Do not live in student accommodation.

Rent a room or get a house with some people you know. You'll regret spending a year in one of those places if you do it.

Ah bless - starting college - all the fun ahead of you.

As my Guidence Councillor would say; THINK OF THE BIGGER PICTURE. *crazy hand movements*

It will be worth it eventually when you have a degree and you can be the big nasty corporate business or what ever it is you wanna do.

Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski
    Do not live in student accommodation.

Rent a room or get a house with some poeple you know. You'll regret spending a year in one of those places if you do it.

Ah bless - starting college - all the fun ahead of you.

Don't know ANYONE. Moving up on my own...from Dublin!

Fun, college, cant wait. :D

Don't know ANYONE. Moving up on my own...from Dublin!

Me, I know loads of people going. The problem is, the majority are complete ****.

**** are better than NO ONE!!

Yeay!

Wanna come to my 18th. It'll be on the 16th, so I'll be there and know only you!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ah you'd think that but when you've done the rented accommodation scene for a few years you realise that there are some major weirdos/psychos/dickheads out there and being by yourself is a mile better than being stuck in a house with them.

But you can make some great friends just landing into a room in a house - as long as you're a personable type of guy and willing to tidy every now and then.

Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski

But you can make some great friends just landing into a room in a house - as long as you're a personable type of guy and willing to tidy every now and then.

I am a socable type of lady...that'll do!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Five years ago I was part of an organised effort to inform people how bad Corrib Village was on open day in UCG. If you're going to Galway on your own, Corrib Village can be a great place to make new friends. As other people have said, the apartments are incredibly basic (you don't even get plastered walls unless you go for the "deluxe" apartments). The couches are literally office furniture and massively uncomfortable. If you want to have a friend stay over, you're going to have to find a friendly taxi driver that'll let them get into the boot to get past security (I'm not joking). If you plan on having a girlfriend/boyfriend stay over, you may as well limit your search for partners to other residents of Corrib Village. You can't put up posters, leave things in the window sills, you're subject to regular inspections to ensure that you're cleaning up after yourself. Basically, you'll be treated like you're in either a military boot camp or a kindergarden.

Don't be fooled by the notion that it's "on-campus accomodation" either. You'll be a good fifteen minute walk to the campus. The last point I make I'm unsure of these days but historically it's been seriously overpriced compared to the cost of renting a room in a shared house around Galway. Traditionally, it's mainly first years and visiting students that live there because anyone who's spent a year there tends to go elsewhere for second and subsequent years.

So, if you want an opportunity to make friends, don't mind draconian security or military barracks style accomodation and your parents are made of cash then go to Corrib Village. Otherwise it's best left alone.

No, no they're not. Believe me - I've been in school with some of them for 13 years - definetly not better than no one. If, by some cruel twist of fate, I end up sharing a house with them, I just know I'll be locked up for murder before the end of my course.

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Five years ago ...draconian security or military barracks style accomodation and your parents are made of cash then go to Corrib Village. Otherwise it's best left alone.

Hmmmmm. I think I may pass on the Corrib Village thing.

Ah feckit. I'm lucky enough to be gettin my own room. So if I'm unfortunate enough to dislike my flat/house mates I'll just never come out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Your house mates definately do matter, I got stuck with 2 @ssholes this year, it was a nightmare. I have alot of friends going to NUIG, they say the majority of people there are @ssholes so try and rent with someone from GMIT if you can. They are less up in their own @sses

There are 170 people on the Gort na Coiribe waiting list. One hundred and seventy. Lets just hope the 170 people in front of me all fail miserably in their LC and have to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

They told me a few weeks ago there was nearly 300 on the waiting list. :confused:

• Advertisement

They told me a few weeks ago there was nearly 300 on the waiting list. :confused:

That's weird - I heard somebody else say 300 aswell - I was e-mailing this guy, can't remember his name (looked French though), but he definetly said 170 in the e-mail and that he'd put my name down, but it's unlikely I'd get a place. Doesn't really matter now, since I'm in Menlo Park if I get into NUIG.

Advertisement