Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Village, NUIG

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'm going to Dunaras.

I got confused before. You'd think I'd know where I'm gonna live when I leave home...:rolleyes:

You guys still lookin for places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by jesjes
    I'm going to Dunaras.

Do you know where Dunáras is? You might want to invest in a few bus passes/car/mace/tazer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ahhh the days of Corrib Villege. What a place! *wipes a tear from eye*
    ...of course I was there the last year before the barriers went up and the rules came in. It's nice to know that I had an impact. Bye-the-bye it was block C that caused it all, man that place was trashed.
    If your going - move into Block E (ha! I'm still doin my Block Rep work) - it's the one right beside the peir - great for parties.

UCG rocks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Do you know where Dunáras is? You might want to invest in a few bus passes/car/mace/tazer.

Eh...WHY???

Don't do that to me! As far as I know it was a good place. About 20 minutes from the college...
    Welcome to Dúnáras
    Dúnáras is an attractive, village style complex in pleasantly landscaped surroundings just 15 minutes walk from NUIG. Beautifully appointed self-catering luxury accommodation, Dúnáras is situated close to the heart of Galway City on Bishop O'Donnell Road.
    Dúnáras is purpose built for students and, by providing quality residential accommodation our aim is to enhance the life of the student during his or her time at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
    The staff of Dúnáras Residential Accommodation will endeavour to maintain the highest standards and with the cooperation of the residents, a safe and pleasant living environment will be maintained.

RIGHT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Is that the one opposite the dunnes if it is wear a blue jacket and i wont leap out of the bushes screaming about my pet weasel.

:D

If it is the one opposite dunnes I suppose the walk back from college on a winters evening may be considered a bit dodgy mainly due to pikeys!

If your still curious and not taking a restraining order against me try over on the www.sin.ie forums you will hear it straight from the spammy lazy students mouth.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Asok
    Is that the one opposite the dunnes if it is wear a blue jacket and i wont leap out of the bushes screaming about my pet weasel.

No (well, maybe - if you're talking about Dunnes in Westside...), it's the one out past Westside (wayyyy past), nearly into Knocknacara - Rahoon flats type area. It's definetly a good 20-25 minute walk from the college. Having said that, the Corrib Village "on-campus accommodation" is about 10 mins away... so it's not *that* bad.

The one opposite Dunnes in Terryland is Gort na Coiribe, the one beside the Menlo Park Hotel is Menlo Park Appartments and the Corrib Village is, well, the Corrib Village...

I know Gort na Coirbe is booked out. Amhra house is only 5 minutes from the college. You have me re-thinking my whole accomodation!! *Shakes fist*

I know Gort na Coirbe is booked out. Amhra house is only 5 minutes from the college. You have me re-thinking my whole accomodation!! *Shakes fist*

We'll have less of that sort of thing around here. No need for fist shakin'. Dún Arás isn't that bad - and it's probably the only place you're going to get right now. It's pretty decent, and it's only for a year. And you'll be super fit afterwards, with all the walking. Plus, you'll lose like €70 of your deposit if you change now.

70 Euro doesn't really matter when you are paying like 4grand!

Hmm..sure we'll see.

Galway, freedom, walking. Could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Originally posted by Magnolia_Fan
    I have alot of friends going to NUIG, they say the majority of people there are @ssholes so try and rent with someone from GMIT if you can. They are less up in their own @sses

I'm not sure if I've ever read anything so hilariously inane in my time on boards.

I lived in Corrib Village for first year of college. What has been said about it here is mostly true. They are fairly sparsely furnished, not actually on-campus and it's a pain in the arse having to sneek people into your apartment. BUT, I certainly don't regret living there for my first year. I was in an apartment with 4 others, and 3 of them remained some of my best mates to date. In fact, all my good friends from college can be traced in some way to the guys I was assigned an apartment with. We had some great laughs in there, I don't think the spartan furnishings hindered us too much, if anything they encouraged us to go out more.

I had a single room, and was lucky enough to get a double bed (this was a bit of a lottery). The rooms are fine, and you get a desk which will come in handy when you can't get a seat in the library.

There's always the option of finding yourself a room in another house, but be aware that you might find yourself landed in the middle of a bunch who are already friends and so might be hard to penetrate :), or else with people who are at a different stage of their studies...at least in Corrib you were in with other 1st years generally.

I wouldn't go to Dun Aras, too far out, not a very desirable area. The rooms out at menlo look nice enough, it's probably the next best thing to Gort Na Coiribe. Can't speak for the residencies in town.

• Advertisement

70 Euro doesn't really matter when you are paying like 4grand!

Hmm..sure we'll see.

Galway, freedom, walking. Could be worse.

Well, like bugler said, Dún Aras is very far out and the area is a bit dodgy. For the price you're paying you'd be better off going to someplace a bit closer in a better area. I know Menlo Park still has availability - definetly loads of twin rooms left if you're not opposed to sharing with somebody (alot cheaper too), they had a few singles when I booked aswell, about 2 weeks ago. You'll lose your deposit in Dún Aras, but like you said €4000 is alot of money to live in an apartment you probably wont like. Generally, the reason Dún Aras isn't booked out is because they only attract people who don't know the area very well, just booking the first free place they can find. The likes of Gort na Coiribe get fully booked in January/February every year - prime location, good quality, very popular.

At least I know now. Thanks.

I did want a single room for my first year, just because it will be my first time out of home. I'm gonna email the places now.

Thanks again lads, I'd of hated being somewhere that sucks as much as it seems to.

Thanks again lads, I'd of hated being somewhere that sucks as much as it seems to.

Well, we might have seemed a little bleak - it can't be *that* bad - it's just not the best out there.

Well either or methinks I'd rather be happy. So I'm reconsidering!

Stupid bank hoilday weekend.

Advertisement