Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was this really a call for a ban?

Options
  • 20-05-2004 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

the thread

i mean c'mon, so he adds in some full stops in his posts?! who cares? it may really piss etho off but there's no rules against that kind of thing and no one else has a problem with it. not exactly ban-worthy.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A little bit harsh, but I can understand the annoyance. Given the day of moderating I've just had, however, I'm inclined to stick by a moderator who makes a point clear and then sees it ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Stupid Ban, eht0_ warning or not, stupid reason to ban someone.

Warning, next person not to post in double spacing gets banned from Bands/Musicians. Oh and if you mention Metallica, thats a banning. Looking at my shoes, now THATS a banning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

wow, thats a bit harsh.
    I dont think it was at all called for, just because its abit annoying to etho_ doesnt deserve a ban at all. Its like saying you cant use !!! anymore...

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Giblet
    Stupid Ban, eht0_ warning or not, stupid reason to ban someone.

Warning, next person not to post in double spacing gets banned from Bands/Musicians. Oh and if you mention Metallica, thats a banning. Looking at my shoes, now THATS a banning.

Talking out of turn...that's a paddling. Looking out the
    window...that's a paddling. Staring at my sandals...that's a
    paddling. Paddling the school canoe...ooh, you better believe
    that's a paddling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

That's plain crazy. To me it looks like one person is being singled out over the way they post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Very very harsh ban your there to moderate the board, not the english language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For once I agree with eth0_, that kind of careless shít can be incredibly annoying, especially when you /have/ to look at it. And it's not as if the user isn't doing it on purpose, just to try and affect some kind of pathetic coolness. Kind of ironic given the content of the actual post.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭d4

Harsh and a half.But he did get a couple of warnings(Unlike me in the soccer access forum )
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

ahh bad day power-tripping at its best.

Mods are there to ensure the smooth running of the boards, not to act like some 60 year old school teacher or take out their frustrations on users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

That is annoying alright but a banning is taking things just a little to far.
    Watch you're spelling everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Better not put etho in charge of any Morse Code forums in the future should they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's nothing to do with spelling or grammar. I've had a complaint about it from another user, actually, so it wasn't just me who finds the way he types annoying.

IF HE WAS TYPING LIKE THIS
    r tYpIn LkE DiS AlL Dee TiM3, none of you would have a problem with me banning the user. Putting ten full stops in where a space would suffice is just as annoying/stupid/whatever.

The fact is, he was warned twice about it and he chose to ignore those warnings, so I believe i'm well within my rights to ban him for a few days.

And i'm not on any kind of power trip! I've moderated two boards for the best part of a year now and I think this is the first time i've had to ban a user.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I tend to do that a lot myself....
    It's just a posting style,
    donno why you'd be banned for it :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Whilst it doesn't bother me in the least who eth0 bans or doesn't ban, that "reason" is quite simply outrageous. And yes it does surprise me that she would act apparently so irrationally.

It's the kind of policing you would expect of an American soldier in an Iraqi prison who thinks that they're above having to answer for their behaviour.

Do the decent thing eth0.

r tYpIn LkE DiS AlL Dee TiM3, none of you would have a problem with me banning the user. Putting ten full stops in where a space would suffice is just as annoying/stupid/whatever.

I actually dont have a problem with that either.If it's your style then so be it.It's not like your writing in an English Exam or anything

Originally posted by dod

It's the kind of policing you would expect of an American soldier in an Iraqi prison who thinks that they're above having to answer for their behaviour.

ahahahahahahah!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by eth0_
    It's nothing to do with spelling or grammar. I've had a complaint about it from another user, actually, so it wasn't just me who finds the way he types annoying.

The fact is, he was warned twice about it and he chose to ignore those warnings, so I believe i'm well within my rights to ban him for a few days.

And i'm not on any kind of power trip! I've moderated two boards for the best part of a year now and I think this is the first time i've had to ban a user.

So somebody's typing/punctuation irritates you and you ban them.
    If somebody's opinion bothers you can you do the same presumably?
    Or is it just punctuation alone?

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    So somebody's typing/punctuation irritates you and you ban them.
    If somebody's opinion bothers you can you do the same presumably?
    Or is it just punctuation alone?

Jesus that's a ridiculous thing to say. Of course not. Unless they're trolling or personally attacking someone i'm not about to ban someone 'for their opinion'! As i've already said, this is the first ban i've ever had to do, it's not like i'm sitting at my computer with an itchy trigger finger.

Its also customary to notify bans in the mod forum.

Don't see anything there.

No it's Both(a bit controlling don't ya think);)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by syke

As I said, it's the first time i've banned anyone. No one gave me any information on modding when I was given moderatorship of my two boards, which is ridiculous. How are mods supposed to follow procedures if no one tells us what those procedures are??

Originally posted by eth0_
    As I said, it's the first time i've banned anyone. No one gave me any information on modding when I was given moderatorship of my two boards, which is ridiculous. How are mods supposed to follow procedures if no one tells us what those procedures are??

You have seen the mod forum right? There is a sticky on the top, which I guess might be worth a read. But even looking in there, its pretty obvious how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Remind me never to post on a board moderated by eth0....i'd be banned instantly, i always use lotsa dots for no reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Come on, get off the girls back, fair play for even taking on the moderating job though.

I can see how that would get annoying but I think the ban is harsh. But if you stand by your decision then it should stand. After all, youre the mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Originally posted by syke

You can see the post:

"Banned for excessive use of punctuation marks, and other heinous crimes against the English language."

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Yeah what a F**king joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I, for one, welcome our new Grammar Police Overlords.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Good aul dave

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

r tYpIn LkE DiS AlL Dee TiM3, none of you would have a problem with me banning the user.

Sweet lord, I think I've seen it all :rolleyes:

I wouldn't ban him at all, nor even warn him actually. IF he was banned solely on the basis of putting a few dots in his message (warning or not) that has to be one of the worst reasons for banning someone I've seen in a long time.

A moderator shouldn't be there as a spelling/grammer checker, more to facilitate participation in the community and from time to time hand out the bans (when deserved). If other people have a problem with the guys postings, they should put him on ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I agree fully with eth0_ and suggest that we warn/ban the following posters.
    Originally posted by Asok:

Very very harsh ban your there to moderate the board
    You should use the term "you're" or "you are" as opposed to the posessive pronoun "your". Banned.
    Originally posted by flogen:

just because its abit annoying to etho_
    The correct usage would be "a bit", not "abit" unless you're referring to a motherboard manufacturer. Let me show you the door.
    Originally posted by dahamsta

And it's not as if the user isn't doing it on purpose
    It is gramatically incorrect to start a sentence with a co-ordinating conjunction such as "and" (yes I did have to google that). Hope you've enjoyed your stay.

I could go on but I hope you see my point. There are probably a few grammatical errors on my part in this post. Should I be banned? If you're contending that you warned the poster first, then fine. I'll warn all of the above individuals (and myself) that any further transgressions of the kind I've indicated above will result in a ban. What the hell. I'll give them two warnings, since I'm feeling magnanimous.

Now, if the poster was deliberately making his posts illegible, possibly for the purposes of trolling, then your ban might have been warranted. However, I see no evidence of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement