Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was this really a call for a ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Don't say you haven't been warned, Swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

IF HE WAS TYPING LIKE THIS
    r tYpIn LkE DiS AlL Dee TiM3, none of you would have a problem with me banning the user. Putting ten full stops in where a space would suffice is just as annoying/stupid/whatever

Totally agree - not that it's a banning offence but surely it's not such difficult chore to post legibly for a few lines of text. I don't wish to sound like an old fogey but I always had a problem reading text messages written in such manner, there are even posters here who type like that !!! Why ?

Anyway he/she was warned twice and was banned - take it like a man !

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

jesus give etho a break, it's only a temp ban, not an execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

A ban is a BAN....I know all about them...
    Typing ban....MY ARSE

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes he can curl up with a good book on English grammar for the week :) (Damn now there's my one smiley quota used up and I wanted to put a wink at the end of this statement).

I kind of agree with _eth0, harse as it is, if someone can't be arsed posting in a legible style and not pisssing people off, then a week's ban could be just the ticket to knock some sense into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by lad12
    A ban is a BAN....I know all about them...
    Typing ban....MY ARSE

Now I can see what was meant when you were denied access to the soccer forum for being a 'disruptive influence'.

Go join another crusade, champ :-)))))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its only a week ban. Not long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So, someone is a bad typist.

People could be encouraged to ignore the person in question if they are annoyed, rather than banning someone just because they used more than a few punctuation marks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ethos dead right to ban Teddi.
    Very annoying all those dots etc.

Personally I thought that it was the start of a troll when I read it first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bad typist my hole, that poster was obviously doing it on purpose to be "kewl". Like those wankstains that do de txt ting on Boards, which is also incredibly annoying. They should have their mobile phones forcibly inserted up their arses.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Not trying to get on band wagon. My ex used to txt like that, and e-mail. Its fairly normal. I do it all the time, tried so hard not to do it in this post just so u wouldnt think i was taking the piss. Its just a habit, maybe not good one. But who are you to decide how some one texts, posts, e-mails or whatever else. Im not attacking anyone here either but "i" just think its a bit hard to break a habit once told..it takes
    a little time. That said im not going to stop txting, mail, or even posting like i've always done cause its my choice to type like that. Its a different story if you stated clearly that you wanted proper grammar..punc.. and so on, no slang, or whatever else takes your fancy, i dont think this is what boards.ie is about. I could be wrong and if i am you might as well add all of the above to the Charter.

TuTs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think mobile phones have a lot to answer for, I was shocked last year when the news glorified some young exam student in the UK for writing her whole exam in SMS style.

Of course the point with SMS texts was the 160 character limit and the fiddley 0-9 keypad so you couold possibly make a point for it but not when you have a full qwerty keyboard and unlimited characters.

ZEN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by TUTS
    who are you to decide how some one texts, posts, e-mails or whatever else
    I'm not anyone to "decide". However I reserve the right to express the view that people that use SMS shortcuts in their posts on a web-based bulletin board are incredibly stupid and/or lazy and/or vain.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'm not anyone to "decide". However I reserve the right to express the view that people that use SMS shortcuts in their posts on a web-based bulletin board are incredibly stupid and/or lazy and/or vain.

adam

Thats fine. Its your view, i cant change that. Everyone's different, its what makes life
    what it is, no one is the same. (thankfully)

However I reserve the right to express the view that people that use SMS shortcuts in their posts on a web-based bulletin board are incredibly stupid and/or lazy and/or vain.

You seem fairly intelligent?. How are you able to write something like that, what can you base this on, how are you able to judge? Its like saying that guy is an idiot cause he wears a blue jumper all the time. He chooses to wear it? You cant take that away from him. It doesnt make him an idiot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anyone who types in SMS style is stupid and lazy. It doesn't look 'cool', it makes you look like a mong that doesn't understand English. Is your time so precious that spending an extra twenty seconds on the post so that it's actually comprehensible is too much for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Good call on the ban, also banning people for not breaking up their posts with some line breaks is another thing I hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    I tend to do that a lot myself....
    It's just a posting style,
    donno why you'd be banned for it :dunno:

Yeah I'm the same. It's kind of a way of ... emphasising a point.
    Or .... em .... implying that you are thinking over something.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

The question should not be whether eth0_ should have banned the user for the constant use of ...... If there is one thing I have learned abouts bulletin boards and online communities in general (which I do, having been online over 13 years) it is that you don't piss off the mods / admins.
    If you are warned (I don't know personally if the user was or not but eth0_ mentioned warnings) not to do something, you don't do it. If you think it's unfair or have a complaint - there is ALWAYS somewhere like this where these things can be discussed or brought to the attention of whoever is in a position to do something about it. Even replying to eth0_'s first warning and asking why might have been enough to make her realise that the user didn't even see that they were doing something wrong.
    Flagrantly ignoring your mods is wrong and will lead to banning anywhere I've been online. Let one person do it and you lose all justifiable grounds for bannings in the future. "You didn't punnish X when he continued doing what you said not to - why ban me? You're picking on me!" etc etc...
    Fair play eth0_ modding is a pain in the rear! Maybe you should have a chat with some other mods / admins about how to formally warn a user or notify admins of a banning etc - but in the main you must be doing a good job or you wouldn't still be there after 2 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Anyone who types in SMS style is stupid and lazy.

maybe its just a habit.. some people type that way cos they so used to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

Originally posted by dod
    Whilst it doesn't bother me in the least who eth0 bans or doesn't ban, that "reason" is quite simply outrageous. And yes it does surprise me that she would act apparently so irrationally.

It's the kind of policing you would expect of an American soldier in an Iraqi prison who thinks that they're above having to answer for their behaviour.

Do the decent thing eth0.

Low comment. This kind of thing makes me seethe... Cop on and have a bit of respect. That's the kind of propagandist, heart string tugging comparison that politicians and the media use to smear anyone who behaves in a way they don't like.
    Shame on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

madness.............................no more redbull for Etho!........ I just ...........these all ................the ..................time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Salubri

If you are warned (I don't know personally if the user was or not but eth0_ mentioned warnings)

Cheers Salubri, here is one of the warnings:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155455

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A warning in the hand is worth two in the bush...uh...

Anyway, agree with eth0_. What's a change from using . to using the spacebar to alleviate the irritatingness of it? Bad grammar isn't that much of an issue, but things like typing without any full stops, typing all in caps, typing in "l33tsp33k" is irritating and, for me, completely ruins a poster's chances of being taken seriously. If the thread is started with that style of posting, my brain just sees "SPAM". Of course, if it's my board, I'll read the post first to acertain it's content.

We're trying to help these poor unfortunate souls. No, seriously, he was warned. Twice. Simple as. Warrants a temp ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

My God eth0_ :eek:

Get off your 'high horse' for heavens sake.

Maybe, you should read " How to make friends and influence people "

Imo an extremely petty ban. Glad I do not use your forums .

Have a nice life :) It's nice to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

my god what a power trip eth0_

You should be banned for using _ in your handle.

........................ so you should.

Seriously though, Can nothing be done about mods with that kind of childish attitude.

Originally posted by eth0_
    Cheers Salubri, here is one of the warnings:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155455

So is using '...' a bannable offence on all forums? Or can you use it in certain situations. I'm not being sarcastic, it's just I do this myself and really wouldn't like to be banned. I''d have to do some work then :(

It's called an ellipsis. But Teddi didn't seem to be using it that way. I'll admit though, reading his posts it was a bit annoying to read. But I guess when you are typing you have to use stuff like punctuation, grammar, etc. to express yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I agree with seamus. Leetspeek, full caps and short hand are all really annoying. Makes the poster come across as a child. There is keyboard in front of you, try to use it. I don't find "...." as annoying as the above but if he was asked to stop posting like that then he should have tried to stop or edited his posts. At times I will use "...." but that is mainly in a PM not in a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Lainey
    maybe its just a habit.. some people type that way cos they so used to it..

I don't doubt it's a habit, a habit that someone who's lazy gets into and then can't be bothered getting out of.

As for
    It's the kind of policing you would expect of an American soldier in an Iraqi prison who thinks that they're above having to answer for their behaviour.

Worst comparison ever. Surprising you didn't compare it to the Nazis, or maybe you feared Godwin's Law?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Ryvita
    It's called an ellipsis. But Teddi didn't seem to be using it that way. I'll admit though, reading his posts it was a bit annoying to read. But I guess when you are typing you have to use stuff like punctuation, grammar, etc. to express yourself.
    Sometimes mods have to act like the teacher. The random use of strings of dots is annoying, another user had complained about it, and it annoyed the mod.

Think of the classroom situation. Kid 1 starts kicking the chair of Kid 2 in front of him. Kid 2 complains, and it's also annoying the teacher because she can hear it. Teacher warns Kid 1. Kicking continues. Teacher warns Kid 1 again. Kicking continues. Kid 1 gets told to stand in the corner for half an hour.

Sometimes you have to treat people like kids to get the message across. Sure, they're boards and it's not a big deal, but if it's annoying someone else, and you have no legitimate reason for dong it, you should stop.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seamus
    Sometimes mods have to act like the teacher. The random use of strings of dots is annoying, another user had complained about it, and it annoyed the mod.

Think of the classroom situation. Kid 1 starts kicking the chair of Kid 2 in front of him. Kid 2 complains, and it's also annoying the teacher because she can hear it. Teacher warns Kid 1. Kicking continues. Teacher warns Kid 1 again. Kicking continues. Kid 1 gets told to stand in the corner for half an hour.

Sometimes you have to treat people like kids to get the message across. Sure, they're boards and it's not a big deal, but if it's annoying someone else, and you have no legitimate reason for dong it, you should stop.

Fair enough. I guess if they guy was warned he should have stopped.

Moderators .... Harsh .... Harsh but Fair!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement