Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was this really a call for a ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Originally posted by seamus
    Sometimes mods have to act like the teacher.

Do you suspend a child for the way they write ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

seamus,

Quote; " but if it's annoying someone else, and you have no legitimate reason for doing it, you should stop " end quote.

Seems to me as if eth0_ could learn something from that statement. As he appears to have annoyed a lot more posters than he has pleased ?............;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

This is going to go on and on, the ban is not going to be lifted regardless of what we
    say.

None of our feedback in relation to this issue is being taken on board. Which is a
    shame really.

This a big circle that will prob get more people banned as the mod/mods get angrier
    at being questioned. Long live your infinite wisdom.

Its one thing choosing what he writes, it another choosing how he writes. Add it to Charter if ye feel so strongly about it.

Why not put it to the vote, whether to ban any user across boards.ie for using .... in their sentence's, this is up to ye. I believe you would get some votes, but i also believe you would be greatly beaten.

Regards,

Conor T

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

this has to be the worst reason ever for a ban i've seen....

Its a style that people like to use to emphasise the sentence or a pause in their sentence.... for boards like this its not about essays and grammar competitions... people usually type how they would actually say something to another person, rather than addressing someone in a letter or official document of some kind...

get off the high horse and keep your banning finger on the trigger for the real people who annoy everyone... such as the spammers and trolls...

its getting almost like a communist government rule in here with all this censorship and power trip bullsh1t...

get over it... and mod properly....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by TUTS

None of our feedback in relation to this issue is being taken on board. Which is a
    shame really.

This a big circle that will prob get more people banned as the mod/mods get angrier

I have taken your feedback on board, and maybe next time an issue comes up i'll PM/email/send a telegram so the person I have issue with takes on board what i've said. But i'm not lifting the ban because of the comments on this thread. Even if I were to have lifted the ban this morning, you'd all still be sniping, I know what boards is like!

My fellow mod on that forum, Hellrazer, agrees with me, so the ban will not be lifted before next Wednesday.

It's interesting that Teddi himself has not made any comment here about his ban, not has he PM'd me to complain.

And as for your comment that this thread will get more people banned, I think that's being a bit dramatic!

Originally posted by Jpaulik
    Do you suspend a child for the way they write ?
    Bad analogy there. They actual comparison would be if a child constantly screamed randomly in between words, or took 5 minute pauses. I think you scorn a child for that.
    I'd like to point out right here, that half of the people disagreeing are mods themselves. I'm not actually commenting on your post at all.

/me saves this thread for the next time a "fight teh power" thread arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

setmypeoplefree.jpg

I dont really agree of disagree with _eth0 as I'm not a mod and so I cant relate the stuff they have to put up with.

BUT, my question is what will you do when the ban is lifted and the poster continues with the "......". Will it be a perm ban ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Eth0_ : Im not sniping, i've already stated in a previous post that i wasnt attacking anyone, or picking, draging it out or whatever way you like to phrase your take on things.

This is my opinion to which i am intitled , am i not allowed to voice this?.

The forum is called Bickering / Suggestions, what do expect from some users?.

Im out of here/ time to do some work and get on with the real world.

P:S. If you check any of my previous posts i dont snipe.

Lads have fun

Teddi: i feel for ya man!

Originally posted by GoneShootin

BUT, my question is what will you do when the ban is lifted and the poster continues with the "......". Will it be a perm ban ?
    I'm hoping he doesn't but that's something i'll have to discuss with Hellrazer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭d4

I'm hoping he doesn't but that's something i'll have to discuss with Hellrazer.

This is a joke--->Right:D

Its very odd that the poster has not attempted to get in touch with you or complain to other admins, which might mean that he couldnt give a ****e.

And if he doesnt give a ****e, why should you.....tbh

And d4 its not a joke at all. Clearly _eth0 took this seriously and continues to do so. Thank god she is including her fellow mod in whats going on and getting a consensus before making any actions. Id like to see you as a mod of something and see how long you last...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

Bad analogy there. They actual comparison would be if a child constantly screamed randomly in between words, or took 5 minute pauses. I think you scorn a child for that.
    I'd like to point out right here, that half of the people disagreeing are mods themselves. I'm not actually commenting on your post at all.

/me saves this thread for the next time a "fight teh power" thread arises.

Now thats the worst analogy i've heard. how is .... like a scream.
    The analogy you said was bad was the best one yet. It is definitely a matter of how you type your message. Nothing wrong with a few dots.

I think i'll stick in a compaint about using underscores and numbers in your handle. Oh then we'ld have to ban a mod :)

Seriously though a mod should be banned for innapropriate behaviour same as anyone else. Some mods are just plain ignorant and on a powertrip, while others are dead sound. These asshole modes though really should be banned from boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭d4

Ah it is a bit funny when you think about it.It's really a thread about dots and a SpaceBar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I dont believe it!

If someone complained to Eth0_about his posting style, why didnd Eth0_ just tell the complainer how to use ignore?

Problem solved.

If you dont like what someone posts you can ignore them.
    But the ban them is just so pedantic.

X

Originally posted by minority
    Now thats the worst analogy i've heard. how is .... like a scream.
    The analogy you said was bad was the best one yet. It is definitely a matter of how you type your message. Nothing wrong with a few dots.
    They way a child writes is irrelevant to the classroom analogy. People don't have to read what he writes. People do have to hear what he says and does though, which is why screaming and/or kicking the chair is just as irritating as putting in dots for no good reason.
    Seriously though a mod should be banned for innapropriate behaviour same as anyone else.
    Absolutely. The grievance has been posted and dicussed, but the only people who can make a call on it are the admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Text speak irritates me greatly, and I lower my expectations and assumed intelligence and age of the poster based on their grammar and post style. Lower expectations are generally a good thing as I'm rarely disappointed :)

That said, I believe that people are free to protray themselves as cretins should they so choose, unless their posts are completely illegible.

Minor example of txtspk from yesterday. I think I was fairly polite and even answered the query nicely :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by eth0_

My fellow mod on that forum, Hellrazer, agrees with me, so the ban will not be lifted before next Wednesday.

It's interesting that Teddi himself has not made any comment here about his ban, not has he PM'd me to complain.

I agree 100% with Etho.When I first read the thread I thought this person was starting a bit of Muppetry as I stated earlier.
    How could you read that thread as one with a serious question about flesh tunnels with all the ..... on it.

can you ask for the resignation of an official for gross incompetence on boards? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

What ever happened to the Silent minority :D

can you ask for the resignation of an official for gross incompetence on boards? :)
    Ask away :D *

*I'm laughing about the futility of such a request.

People do have to hear what he says and does though, which is why screaming and/or kicking the chair is just as irritating as putting in dots for no good reason.

They don't, they can use the ignore function. A few dots does not disrupt the conversation, it may break up the tempo of a post but it doesn't take away from the actual content.

I would see banning due to the use of dots as a very bad precedent on boards. It's really infringing on how we communicate and I certainly won't use a forum where the mods think it's just to ban someone because they don't follow some rules of grammar.

Next we'll see joycean scholars banned from literature for posting without using the correct punctuation.

Mods are hardly "officials". They are people just like us with knowledge (mostly) on the subject matter of the forum they are moderating

They also have AWESOME EARTH SHATTERING POWERS !!

Speaking of mods, why aint I a mod yet ! I mean, im cool, im down with the 412...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Your absolutely right etho that kind of nonsense makes the posts hard to read.

I can't stand the way people don't articulate themselves properly.

What annoys me about it is there's no point to it, it's just a habit he's probably got into. Great stuff for trying to help the poor chap.

Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by Jpaulik
    They don't, they can use the ignore function. A few dots does not disrupt the conversation, it may break up the tempo of a post but it doesn't take away from the actual content.
    It does for some people, me for example. The content is factually the same, but the value of it, and my perception of it is reduced.
    I like to think that everyone has something to contribute that could be of use to me. To the best of my knowledge, I've no-one on ignore, despite being irritated by quite a few. I wouldn't like to think that people are ignoring what I say simply because of a habit that I'm too stubborn to change. Why even bother posting at all?

I wouldn't like to think that people are ignoring what I say simply because of a habit that I'm too stubborn to change.

But you'd be happy to be banned for it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    I wub these threads. Nice to see adam making a complete ploker out of himself....again!
    I wub woo too Merc. Give us a kiss. *slobber*
    Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Should really have stuck to that "Im never posting of F/B again" rant/threat you reneged on adam
    ecksy neglected to ban me. *shrug*

I'm surprised to see you in here Merc, shouldn't you be off harassing one of your inferiors in PI?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

How could you read that thread as one with a serious question about flesh tunnels with all the ..... on it.

Easily.

Originally posted by Asok
    What ever happened to the Silent minority :D

Just waiting for the revolution.
    Hate to see people being abused for no reason. . . . . . . . . . . . . especialy for using dots.

I hope someone has the time to waste to go through eth0_ s posts and find band grammer ha ha

I suggest you go look up the meaning of 'grammar' in a dictionary because grammar is not/was never the issue!