Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was this really a call for a ban?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

I cant belive a) the fact that it has created such a long string, and b) that the mod baned someone from boards for such a stupid thing. I have read all about the slags relating to American soldiers and class rooms, but really the web is suposed to be about free speach. What i didnt know was that it is....... as long.... as u type the way others see fit. I understand if the person writes in a way that makes it unreadable, but a few dots! I want to say that i think any mod who acts like this should really be reconsidered, i come to boards everyday cause it seems open and friendly, however with this kinda crap eating away in the background , well , its a shame :(

The mod baned the user on the idea that another person complained, well look at the string now, please, advise us on ur course of action for us? we are NOW complaining about U.

PS: respect for taking time to do this work, however do not become one of the people from the dark side, people that use the web to flex power over others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

That is easily the most pathetic reason I've seen a ban dished out for on any forum, temporary or not. Get over yourself already....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by jay567

The mod baned the user on the idea that another person complained, well look at the string now, please, advise us on ur course of action for us? we are NOW complaining about U.

PS: respect for taking time to do this work, however do not become one of the people from the dark side, people that use the web to flex power over others.

You might be complaining about me, but lots of people agree with me, including my fellow mod of that forum.

And ffs, I am not on a power trip! Look how many people i've banned since i've been a mod on boards and then tell me if i'm on a power trip. jeez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Originally posted by eth0_
    because grammar is not/was never the issue!

Yeah I think the real issue is a moderator forcing her own personal set of rules on another person.

If the post is not illegal and won't bring boards.ie to it's knees then let it be. People should have the choice to read or decypher this users postings instead of you saying what we can write and what we can read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gloryhunter

Doesnt look like a ban to me. But its up to the Mod.

• Advertisement

Open ur eyes please, this is not Me (as u put it) complaining, its a large wide ranging number of users. Please remember without users there is no mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Jpaulik
    But you'd be happy to be banned for it ?
    I'd expect to banned for it if a mod asked me to stop and I refused.
    I have read all about the slags relating to American soldiers and class rooms, but really the web is suposed to be about free speach.
    Keep telling yourself that.....
    If the post is not illegal and won't bring boards.ie to it's knees then let it be. People should have the choice to read or decypher this users postings instead of you saying what we can write and what we can read.
    If there was classification of the different reasons for banning people, this would come under "noise control". "Not illegal or risking the boards getting sued" isn't enough IMO. Plenty of boards stick to those and end up filled with spam and muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

......I'm mad......mad I tell ya........I just can't......stop......doing......this......

(waits for banning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

the fact remains tho that many more people are complaining about the mods actions than i bet complained about a few dots.
    however do we see anything being done about this.
    How about a public reprimand from the mods mod :)

Of course you'll never see that.

So eth0_, given the fact that so many people have said that dots dont bother them compared to those who do have a probelem ... WHAT HAPPENS THE NEXT PERSON WHO TYPES DOTS ON YOUR PATCH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gloryhunter

Open ur eyes please, this is not Me (as u put it) complaining, its a large wide ranging number of users. Please remember without users there is no mod

:rolleyes: I said it didnt look like a ban to me AND THAT IS MY OPINION.I dont understand what you are trying to say?

• Advertisement

seamus - Im aware of the problems the web has with free speach and the fact that nothing runs smooth, however, boards should strive to maintain the culture of open speach without this kind of problem arising.

I ask one question, how many people made a complaint about the dots......?
    If there is a fair amount then of course EVERYONE should stop giving lip to EthO

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

Aaagh! This thread is like a train wreck!
    I just can't stop reading it!
    I'm in the middle of a working day and I keep coming back here to laugh at the rubbish / feel completely depressed over people's inability to let it rest.

noooo - temptation to post on-topic... irresistable... *sob*

Note correct use of ... as indicating strangled pause ;)

I think 4 pages is plenty of "complaint" even if about half of it IS support for eth0_ or off topic that still leaves 48 posts "complaining".

*cries* Can someone call an end to this so I can get back to work?

Gloryhunter - it was not directed at u, if you read above ur posting you can see that im responding to EthO.
    :)

I ask one question, how many people made a complaint about the dots......?
    If there is a fair amount then of course EVERYONE should stop giving lip to EthO

Normally people post any complaints like 'would you ever stop using dots you old codger'

They dont usually pm a mod do they? So i wouldnt imagine there would be more than ONE :) plus of course the imaginary extra ones added on for dramatic effect that we wont ever see :)

Originally posted by Salubri
    Aaagh! This thread is like a train wreck!
    I just can't stop reading it!
    I'm in the middle of a working day and I keep coming back here to laugh at the rubbish / feel completely depressed over people's inability to let it rest.

noooo - temptation to post on-topic... irresistable... *sob*

Note correct use of ... as indicating strangled pause ;)

I think 4 pages is plenty of "complaint" even if about half of it IS support for eth0_ or off topic that still leaves 48 posts "complaining".

*cries* Can someone call an end to this so I can get back to work?

:) im addicted to this one too. im on a day odd sitting in the garden with me laptop ha ha. so ive nothing better to do.
    it reminds me of a politician who has ****ed up and wont admit it so the press keep chasing them :)

Originally posted by minority

They dont usually pm a mod do they? So i wouldnt imagine there would be more than ONE :) plus of course the imaginary extra ones added on for dramatic effect that we wont ever see :)

I never claimed there had been more than one complaint, get your facts right before you start some kind of witch hunt against me, love.

EthO - im sorry , but wasnt trying anything like that! my mistake, and i send u love too :)

EthO - im sorry , but wasnt trying anything like that! my mistake, and i send u love too :)

what the hell are you talking about?

what the hell are you talking about?
    It would seem that someone is using at least two accounts to try and keep the debate raging :)

You're gonna be in so much trouble when Mom and Dad* get home!

*Read: DeVore and ecksor. *shudder* There's a disturbing thought

Originally posted by seamus
    It would seem that someone has started at least two accounts to try and keep the debate raging :)

You're gonna be in so much trouble when Mom and Dad* get home!

hahah I think so too...that's so sad. I hope DeVore and ecksor got us kinder surprises at the shops!

• Advertisement

From EthO - I never claimed there had been more than one complaint, get your facts right before you start some kind of witch hunt against me, love.

From Jay - EthO - im sorry , but wasnt trying anything like that! my mistake, and i send u love too

Does that not make sence as a responce? And the love was a joke to lighten the mood..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mommy has such pretty hair.

I never claimed there had been more than one complaint, get your facts right before you start some kind of witch hunt against me, love.

Well then are you going to unban him then, love.
    given the fact that a hell of a lot more than one person have expressed that you have over reacted then.
    Come on, yu were too hard on him (its clear from what s written in this thread), give hime a break and swallow your pride.

by the way you never answered my previous question.
    Given that you are outnumbered in the for and against stake, what happens the next person who posts dots in your little empire?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Originally posted by seamus

Well thats a mental image I could have gone the day without.

Does that not make sence as a responce?

No, because if you look at my post I was replying to minority, not to you! Unless, of course, you're the same person!

HAHAHA yes u have cought us, hey if u have tech skill check out if we are the same, u will notice we are NOT! so as a mod i recomend not making silly comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

HAHAHA yes u have cought us, hey if u have tech skill check out if we are the same, u will notice we are NOT! so as a mod i recomend not making silly comments

Tech skill? If I were the moderator of this board i'd be able to see your IP address but i'm not so I can't. I will be sure to take your recommendation on board, because with 10 posts under your belt you surely know more than anyone on boards! :-)

Does that not make sence as a responce? And the love was a joke to lighten the mood..........................
    Give it up man...
    I even checked to make sure that eth0_'s response couldn't be even remotely applied to a statement you (as jay) have recently made. And it can't :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

as for the inferior bit......I dont know whether to be flattered and all chuffed....or slightly disturbed that you see me as superior to others :dunno:
    WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONE!
    *cries*

Let's have a group hug, oh, do lets!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement