Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

today's conflicts

Options
  • 20-05-2004 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

trying to do som research on all the "wars" in the world today... conlficts civil wars um, what other kinds are there....

there this site which has a skewed view but hey it adds to the list
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/curr_war.htm

and this

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/Africa/Intro.asp#ManyConflictsThroughoutAfrica

i was going to put the list up here but its nearly ever country... might later i was trying to put something to gether to say not just anti-american war but anti-war but maybe there too many conflcit to list and to list only wars between countries would be too narrow a definition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by chewy
    there this site which has a skewed view but hey it adds to the list
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/curr_war.htm
    My, that is skewed. Just because the protaginists in a conflict are of different religion, doesn't make it a religious conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

but boy does it help recruitment and only days later a report of bbc program on the worlds conlficts in the newspapers plus a two page spread in the star of all papers.

great minds think alike

list 40 conflicts not that many really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Why bother getting a list of all the conflicts..this tells us all we need to know.

Must admit started posting this as a funny...but by the end of the linked page I was rather sobered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Conflicts after conflicts. It's just creating more conflicts. Looks like no one wants to resolve anything on the table but use force with the cost of many civilians. Since the start of Bush's so called war with terrorism, they have killed or capture only few terrorists while killing 10s of thousands of innocents. We understood why Bush went to Afghanistan but yet to find out what he is doing in Iraq.
    We are all human and nothing will destroys us only ourselves. One thing that we have too much of is greed and throughout history that is why many conflicts started. One says learn from your past but does one listen? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

halkar, the main conflicts are in Africa. Most world conflicts don't involve America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Originally posted by vorbis
    halkar, the main conflicts are in Africa. Most world conflicts don't involve America.

I guess South America is not part of your America :rolleyes:
    Unfortunately one way or the other most world conflict does involve US if that is what you mean. Directly or indirectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

to clarify, by America I mean US.
    saying the US is indirectly involved is pointless. I could probably find a way to say Ireland is indirectly involved in every conflict. Involvement means either fighting, or backing one side with military assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If youre interested in conflicts in the world today you could look at In This World, thatll be on BBC2 tommorrow evening. Website is here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_world/one_day_of_war/default.stm

Its a documentary following and interviewing soldiers in 16 conflicts, ranging from an IDF soldier ( booo hiss ) to a a 14 year old child soldier in Somalia. They chose 16 conflicts because theyre are apparently something like 70 wars and conflicts going on right now and they didnt have time to show them all. The plight of the hmong people is perhaps the cruelest - theyre being exterminated by the Laos army, for the crime of their parents having sided with the US in the conflicts surrounding Vietnam.
    Unfortunately one way or the other most world conflict does involve US if that is what you mean. Directly or indirectly.

*Everything* in the world "involves" the US to some extent - it the greatest empire the world has ever known, and most wars are waged with at least one government that has relations with the US to some extent, or trades with Western companies.

Much as every peace deal and economic boom "involves" the US because they are powerful and influential enough that everyone must at least deal with them.

Beyond stating the obvious - the the US is so powerful that it seems to dominate every sphere of power and influence - what is your point?

Advertisement