Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volume Controls

Options
  • 20-05-2004 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can source some form of speaker-level (rather than line-level) volume controls at a reasonable price.

Ideally I'd like 2-5W dual LOG POTs, but can't find them in peats/maplin/farnell/radionics. I can only find single high-power POTs.

I'm open to other ideas if there are cheap alternatives. As long as its a stereo control in one (unless I absolutely can't get that), and is speaker voltage level, not line-level.

Any advice?

TIA
    .cg

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just out of interest... why do you need to do this. Sound-quality wise, if its a separate zone then you might be better off powering the zone separately?

They definitely do exist. We had a speaker-level control on a pair of speakers in the cafe where i used to work, so we could turn it down compared to the rest of the shop. The best place to look may be some of the 'home automation' websites as they tend to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I did a pub installation that required a facility to reduce the level in a particular area from time to time. Fidelity was not the prime consideration so we used 100v line speakers and 100v line level controls capable of about 60 watts. Bought them in Sound Productions if I remember correctly.

What sort of power are you looking to control ? What resistance do you want the pots to show the amp. Is the amplifier low impedence or 100volt line.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Red Alert
    Just out of interest... why do you need to do this. Sound-quality wise, if its a separate zone then you might be better off powering the zone separately?
    2 zones, 2 amps, and I want a volume control to be remote from the amp (which is locked away from staff screwing with it).

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by ZENER
    I did a pub installation that required a facility to reduce the level in a particular area from time to time. Fidelity was not the prime consideration so we used 100v line speakers and 100v line level controls capable of about 60 watts. Bought them in Sound Productions if I remember correctly.

WIll look SP up then , ta. Fidelity is not a concern here either, but its not 100V gear, just bog standard domestic separates.
    Originally posted by ZENER
    What sort of power are you looking to control ? What resistance do you want the pots to show the amp. Is the amplifier low impedence or 100volt line.
    Next to nothing .. a 2-5W POT would cover it .. its only low-mid volume background music.

cheers.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

WIll look SP up then , ta. Fidelity is not a concern here either, but its not 100V gear, just bog standard domestic separates.

They can supply the transformers required to convert the speakers to 100V, mind you Peats used to do them a lot cheaper, shop around.
    Next to nothing .. a 2-5W POT would cover it .. its only low-mid volume background music.

It's a lot for a pot where typically you're looking at 0.25W max, for that sort of dissipation you'll be looking at wire wound pots at about 10 to 20 ohms to match to the amplifiers. I've no doubt they exist, good luck finding them.

*/cue someone with 20 links all in Dublin !!;)

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement