Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by tom dunne

It's not as if they will come in on Monday morning and say "Oh crap, we have been broadcasting in Eire all weekend".

Its happened on numerous occasions before

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by channelsurfer
    . he usually is the one who is close to sky on these things?

Not heard a thing and to be honest I'm no closer to sky than anyone else, usually when I hear stuff its from other media sources and then I ring Ed Sawday to suss it out.

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

just for reference, this thread should be turned into a sticky like the one "How to get BBC channels" but this one is how to get Channel4.

But, if this was turned into a sticky, someone from another media source(e.g. Digital Spy, Newspapers etc. or even SKY themselves) then Sky might block the signal in ROI.

So, if this does sound like one of the above could happen, don't turn it into a sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brian boro

Ch 4 test appears to be only available on Sky boxes.

I tuned channel in on TechniSat box and cannot get a picture - just a message to say that it's scrambled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

OH OH! Just checked Digital Spy forums. We've got a problem! Read this thread and the middle of page 2:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=125692&page=2&pp=25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

All this talk of not ringing Sky or not posting on other forums etc is starting to sound a bit tired at this stage, and making this forum loose credibility.

For heavens sake it is a public internet forum, and if Sky, or Channel4 or anyone else wants to read it, surely thats what its there for.Sky are very capable of finding this site, or any other for that matter, of their own accord, and have done so in the past, if their cock up with the Sky News Ireland graphics is anything to go by, and the subsequent quick withdrawl as soon as it was pointed out here.

How can anyone expect to keep this quiet on the internet?

We have a bonus at the moment, long may it last, but this cloak and dagger stuff...........come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i don't think sky need internet people to tell them what people with sky boxes can possibly pick up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Originally posted by mickeyboymel

We have a bonus at the moment, long may it last, but this cloak and dagger stuff...........come on

Go ahead and blab it everywhere then and see how long it lasts, off you pop.
    You are the one who use the term "cloak and dagger", what im saying it doesnt often help when these mysterious freebies are on to have it bandied about everywhere because this often leads to these freebies disappearing.
    Originally posted by DMC

And no, this is no indication that we'll get BB this year either.

We get the C4 BB shows repeated on E4 a day later including the live ones.
    What makes you so sure that this is no indication?, if this Channel 4 is on Eurobird then they possibly may create a duplicate C4 interactive transponder thus it would be available to E4 eire to use.
    In any case its movement at the right time, just before BB, dont shoot it down straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm fairly sure that Sky don't care much what tests are done as long as they get paid for encryption, epg etc.

I'm also sure that if Sky EPG or conditional access is used that Sky know. Murdoch gives no free lunches.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TVDX
    Go ahead and blab it everywhere then and see how long it lasts, off you pop.
    You are the one who use the term "cloak and dagger", what im saying it doesnt often help when these mysterious freebies are on to have it bandied about everywhere because this often leads to these freebies disappearing.

Perhaps we should delete the entire thread in case anyone else might see it :rolleyes:

All this talk of not ringing Sky or not posting on other forums etc is starting to sound a bit tired at this stage, and making this forum loose credibility.

With respect, Mickey I resent that remark.

Let me clarify from experience,what went on, when ITV was by default available on Irish Sky cards.
    People from this forum in good faith and with all the best intentions emailed all and sundry insisting that it should be available on the Irish EPG.

And what was the result of that...yes a slap in the face to the Irish viewer as other parties when they became aware of the situation stuck their oar in and apparently demanded an end to the Irish viewing.
    Thats a fact, it happened although word of mouth reaching places where trouble could rise was also a factor.
    Perhaps we should delete the entire thread in case anyone else might see it

You are missing the point.
    It's not a case of this forum being read randomly by those in Sky or by those who have rights to programmes shown by ch4...
    They can and do read here probably.
    However what I am saying is, why draw particular attention to this phenomenon when anyone who is in a position to take issue with ch4's temporary or otherwise availability on Irish cards via other channels can do so in their own good time.
    What I'm suggesting is theres no need to be writing to those who can switch it off if all is not in order.

Let them find out in their own good time and the longer that takes the better rather than make it easy for them by giving them a reason to read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Well, all this talk of c4 on Sky ROI may be moot anyway, as the new edition of the Sky magazine (Ireland edition) is advertising BB5 interactive
    (page six bottom left under the heading the Hot List).

This may be only a test for that interactive element - especially seeing as it's in 4:3.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Thank for sharing this with us denis 1501.
    Whatever happens, we've had a few days of something we wouuld'nt have
    had otherwise.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Perhaps we should delete the entire thread in case anyone else might see it :rolleyes:

Again, your just not taking any points onboard and your putting your own exaggerated spin on it.

I apologise if I offended anyone, that was never my intention nor will it be at anytime in the future as for as long as you allow me to continue posting here.

Firstly, I think this whole issue regarding CH4 not finding out seems to be greatly exaggerated., If we had been watching this test for a number of months or weeks even, then it might be a different matter, but it has in all probability been left open over the weekend by mistake and will be gone again on Monday morning, unless it is an official test relating to the future availability of CH4 in the ROI.

I agree 100% that it would be common sense not to call or email Sky or Channel4, but to have it screamed out no less than 5 times in bold lettering is, in my opinion a little excessive. We do not have loads of large announcements plastered all over the place to; for example, remind people not to discuss FTV cards when talking to Sky. It is assumed people have the common sense not to do that and an occasional reminder in a post usually relays that information.

Regarding other forums, and in particular, Analogsat’s weekly “Channels Currently Testing” threads. This poster posts on a Monday and updates, usually daily, a comprehensive list of all channels both TV & Radio, that are testing on Sky as and when they appear, and he would not have missed a new inclusion like this as his posts are usually bang up to date.. Indeed there are many other Irish posters, not only myself who contribute to his weekly threads.

Sorry once again to everyone.

Regarding the Article on BB being interactive, I would not rely on this being true, If you look at the letter that accompanied the magazine, it told of the great offer for Premiership+ Season Ticket and how it was available interactively via the red button to ROI subscribers, which is blatantly untrue and having been on the phone to Customer Services for ages last night, they eventually admitted that the letter was just a copy of the UK version and an oversight on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Originally posted by PK - the king

DMC - you didn't REALLY ban TIPPTOP did you? :dunno:

Bloody did ban Me!!:mad:

But I'm back now:D

Now can someone with the technical Knowledge please explain this to me,

how come on the Irish sky card ch4 comes through on the 7259 but on the FTV card it comes through as UKG2 telling you of the mix of entertainment surely its the same signal:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thats all down to where you have it stored in Other Channels. if it was first in the list you would receive a message about the first channel on the EPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

it doesnt work on my irish subscription card whats the deal is it offline or is it only FTV cards it works on?

frequency?
    polarisation?
    symbol rate?
    FEC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

it's still working as of 2 mins ago. just put in the details as in the first post, no need for anything else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some git posted about this on digitalspy, cant see ch4 free lasting much longer than 8am monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

maybe im on a different transport stream? im on 07d4 in north wicklow? what are you guys getting it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 happycamper

Yeh that {mod-edit}, Cricket is still on. I wonder how long will this last? The morning probs

Language happy camper-this is a family forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I'd be surprised if Ch 4 lasts on Irish boxes for long...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well I'm going to be posting in there other threads just to drive the Ch4 thread to the next page, I think its the only hope we have

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    Well I'm going to be posting in there other threads just to drive the Ch4 thread to the next page, I think its the only hope we have
    Your plan doesn't appear to be going to0 well...
    That thread is consistently at the top now.
    Is the test still viewable?

Oops Earthman sorry :D
    Damn Tipp I posted on the C4 thread today, but I will try and get it down to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

i get the impression that the people here dont like getting things for free, and ye wont be happy until someone at sky or ch4 spot their error and pull the plug, then all ye will do is moan and bitch about it for months , just like the itv situation ,I think perhaps in future threads like this should be blocked . :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Originally posted by happycamper
    Oops Earthman sorry :D
    Damn Tipp I posted on the C4 thread today, but I will try and get it down to the bottom.

you could get the mods to fill page one with sticky threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Earthman
    Is the test still viewable?
    yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

It doesn't seem to be there now? All i get on that transponder is PTV and teletext holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

Still have it here just as well i stored it in the other channels, but when i go to transponder its not there. Sky most of hidden it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

damn, can't find it now. wish I had of seen this thread sooner!

still working here and no damn cricket :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Working here in Limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Channel 4 on sat rocks. Still going and better than the grain picture you get on ntl. Heres hoping.

Still Working here in Laois :) I stored it so I go to it when I want, however like someone said when I tune it in again at 'Add Channels' I get 'No Signal' Sky must have copped on to it. Wonder if people who stored it will still be able to view for a while yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

So let me get this right. Whoever has it saved, can get channel4. But whoever didn't, and would like like to tune it in, cannot?

Spot on :) Looks like some of us were lucky. However I'm not sure if I can view it for much longer? even If I stored it it might just appear as a blue screen some day could it???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

it beggers belief that some irish posters here, are having a slagging match in the ch4 in roi thread on digital spy, keeping the topic in the top 10, cop on ye guys

By the looks of it now channel 4 has gone, now i have a black screen. that was short lived.

oops its back again now showing E4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

cheers colm80 - for those of us who can't check until this evening, please keep us updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

And what will be on E4 in the next few days......

Well we all new that it would not last. Why do Sky tease people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't get this whole "don't mention the war" thing. Do people honestly think Sky do things like this by mistake, and won't notice when they do?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This is not really Sky's doing, this is just a broadcaster firing up a transponder ahead of the interactive fest that is Big Brother, and they have to test it before it launches.

Wood <
    > Trees

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I don't get this whole "don't mention the war" thing. Do people honestly think Sky do things like this by mistake, and won't notice when they do?

adam

I know for a fact that they do make mistakes with feeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sharkboy

If you get digital with NTL you get digtal channel 4 and utv.
    I will agree sky digital is better but if you really want these channels its an option worth looking at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we in the countryside dont really have a choice tho, our best bet is a snowstorm aerial picture of channel 4:( Annoying that Channel 4 wont come on sky particularly when they give us E4 which is nearly the same thing anyway just not as good a channel. As for UTV that will prolly never happen unless ITV becomes fta and I hope it does because I want ITV but at the same time dont want UTV itself, would much rather a proper professional ITV Region like ITV1 London.

• Advertisement
Advertisement