Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep the Brits working

• 20-05-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was funny, obviously others lack a sense of humour, as if Internet polls ever make a difference

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Why? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why not

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I could list the reasons but I'd be here all day......

Why do you care if St George's day becomes a bank holiday?

Does it make any real difference to your life?

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Drex

God, thats an annoying site..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Somehow I feel this is better suited to AH - the humour seems to pass me by for some reason.

Bio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by Johnnymcg
    Log on and vote no and keep the Brits at work!!
    lol
    ok my vote is in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Kone
    Why? :confused:

To maintain the long and honourable Irish tradition of buggering up Internet polls that's why. Previous successes (and near misses) include (Cue Mise Eire Music played by an orchestra)

Ronnie O'Brien voted Juventus player of the year ahead of the likes of Zidane, Davids and Deschamps.

Ronnie O'Brien voted Time magazine's Person of the Century ahead of Gandhi, MAndela and Churchill,

A Nation Once Again voted BBC's Best Song Ever

Peter Canavan (nearly) pipping Johnny Wilkinson to BBC's Sport's Personality (sic) of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jesus, what a bunch of ass mongers.

can you imagine the outrage if someone from boards.ie found a thread like this on an english forum, aimed at stopping a proposed irish bank holiday???

grow the **** up

So far the vote stands at 86% in favour. Log on and vote no and keep the Brits at work!!

looks like their fighting back, it's 91% in favour now:dunno:

Originally posted by tman
    jesus, what a bunch of ass mongers.

can you imagine the outrage if someone from boards.ie found a thread like this on an english forum, aimed at stopping a proposed irish bank holiday???

grow the **** up
    Ahh its just a chance to mess up another poll.
    As hairy homer said It's a tradition :)

Get with the program

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it's not like it's a pointless poll, like the previous ones that've been messed with though.
    think of how much you value bank holidays, and how pissed off you'd be if you heard of someone trying to stop another one from being instated

ok your right, this is differnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Er....

St. Patricks Day is a bank holiday for us.

Whats the problem with them taking a bank holiday for their patron saint?

Give yourselves a collective lash, you mongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yet another thread highlighting the patheticness of the racist Irish. Sometimes my fellow countryfolk really disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Originally posted by embee
    Whats the problem with them taking a bank holiday for their patron saint?

I didn't vote either way on it but if I was English I'd object on the principle that I don't support the notion of religeon in the first place, never mind state-sponsored religeous "holidays".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by bus77
    looks like their fighting back, it's 91% in favour now:dunno:
    I voted yes:)

Originally posted by tman
    it's not like it's a pointless poll, like the previous ones that've been messed with though.
    think of how much you value bank holidays, and how pissed off you'd be if you heard of someone trying to stop another one from being instated

Well said tman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

was posted a few weeks ago. think monty locked it :dunno:
    why stop them from having a day off for St george's day. we get it for st paddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Brits are trying to get St George's Day made into a Bank Holiday

That would be the ENGLISH and not the Brits. The Scots have St Andrew and the Welsh have St David 'ere we go 'ere we go to vote in favours .

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It's a bit of a cheeky idea for a poll - I'm not sure what they're going to achieve. How many people when asked if they want a day off work would say no - not many, either way I voted yes (I have a vested interest mind you:D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I have voted NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

always enjoy anything anti-british! NO. They're probably gonna get it anyway and in fairness they deserve a national holiday no matter how much we may dislike them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I voted No:D

they have 2 many holidays anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    they have 2 many holidays anyway

By that muppet logic then we need to lose 2 ourselves, since they have 2 less than ireland.

Originally posted by Sleepy
    I didn't vote either way on it but if I was English I'd object on the principle that I don't support the notion of religeon in the first place, never mind state-sponsored religeous "holidays". [/B]

I assume you go to work every 'religious' bank hol then do ya? Or do your principles not stretch that far?

Mongs the lot of ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

vote YES

a bank holiday for the British is a bank holiday for me and i find it outrageous that they dont get that day off

also i cant see what difference their online poll will make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

wasn't this banned already?
    what _is_ your problem exactly with the english celebrating their national holiday-of which they probably have more right? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

I voted YES to spite the retard who started this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

calm down with the sensitivity levels its just a joke. somehow i cant see the british government introducing a bank holiday based on an internet poll so give it a rest with the throwing around of words like racist

if you saw a similar thread, entitled, "keep the Paddies working" - with a poll - what impression would you get?
    It's his opinion and all, but he doesn't give a reason...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I voted yes and a big

England.jpeg

to the No voters :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thought it was funny, obviously others lack a sense of humour, as if Internet polls ever make a difference

Terry Pratchet

Originally posted by Karoma
    if you saw a similar thread, entitled, "keep the Paddies working" - with a poll - what impression would you get?

Even though ive backed down a bit, If I saw a thread called that Id laugh my ass off

lighten up:rolleyes:

i would too. but then we (Irish) typically laugh at ourselves more than other nationalities (oops.) :)
    my point is that it's propogating another silly poll, and in a way that poorly represents irish people and boards.ie luser...users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Karoma
    i would too. but then we (Irish) typically laugh at ourselves more than other nationalities (oops.) :)
    my point is that it's propogating another silly poll, and in a way that poorly represents irish people and boards.ie luser...users.

I disagree....I think Irish people take exception rather easily when they feel a sterotype is being used.

Why? I don't know...

Your all potato eating, terrorist, drunken, fighting, lazy, ignorant in-bred peasants. You should have all been wiped out by the empire long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    Your all potato eating, terrorist, drunken, fighting, lazy, ignorant in-bred peasants. You should have all been wiped out by the empire long ago.
    Most of those are true James:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I disagree....I think Irish people take exception rather easily when they feel a sterotype is being used.

Why? I don't know...

lol

Dont you just love the man:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why? I don't know...

Lol, say it like it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ok. Here's my 2c. The Wolfe Tones vote on the bbc website, yes, that was funny. But then it went on, and on, and ON, 'OMG LETS VOTE AN IRISH GAA STAR BEST SPORTSMAN ON BBC SITE THAT WILL SHOW THOSE ENGLISH B*STARDS!!!!'.

To be honest I find this 'campaign' to be childish, pathetic, and racist/xenophobic. Yes, that's right. If someone had started a thread here asking for us all to go vote on a site to 'Stop those n***ers having a day off work!' we'd all be disgusted at the racism. The fact this is about the English makes no difference, it's still a form of racism.

I really thing all threads asking people to vote against British things/vote Irish people to win in UK polls 'To show the Brits!' should be automatically be binned.

Advertisement