Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHTML menu upgraded (and I hope it works this time!)

Options
  • 20-05-2004 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Hi all -

You may or may not have noticed that I've put back the new DHTML menu up top - the creators have fixed the previous bugs in Mozilla and Firefox, so it should now work in those browsers too.

Any problems, post them here.

J.
    --
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They look nice, but any chance of making the links relative again? The hard-coded http://www.boards.ie/* type ones mean i can't use it here any more (poxy websense filters www.boards.ie but not muppet.boards.ie ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

good stuff.. its not centred on the page .. thats about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

boards.ie>>About Boards.ie links to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

What browser? Centered for me on IE, Mozilla and Firefox.

I already posted on the admin/support board before seeing this thread, there's 1 problem i can see:

The new menus use absolute URL's, the old ones use relative ones. Relative is better, as websense and the likes here blocks out http://www.boards.ie and http://boards.ie ... but not http://muppet.boards.ie. this means I can't use the menus any more :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

looks nice

it's centered for me in firefox

boards.ie>> about boards.ie links to 404 page as stated above though.

all in all a good update

Fixed the About link - will sort out the abso URLs now.

Cheers cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Its left-adjusted in Opera 7.5

You work fast, seems you've done it already :)

• Advertisement

Yep, and threads merged :)

Is it possible to expand the for sale category, similar to the menus under Community?

I thought Vexorg had an auto-ban for that question? ;)

What's the problem with it? There's 5 or 6 boards under that category?

/prepares for autoban

hold on... autoban... autobahn... AUTOBAHN

3_nihilists_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think the reason for the "for sale" sub categories is to make people choose the right one to post in, and to also read the comments for each category.

Please insert other obvious statements here.

The sun is very, very hot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yesss! This seems to have solved the issue I had with rendering delays (which I discovered recently was actually caused by Avant Browser, and not machine speed). Welcome back sweet, sweet subbed menu, and Yaaay Cloudy!

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Space, captain, is very very big...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Out of interest what are the benefits from the new menus?

All i can see straight away is the little arrows, surely it does more than that?

On a performance note, My subbed menu is now very laggy :(

Pages seem to render faster for me (firefox/windows xp) than with the old menus. Subbed menu included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Works fine under Safari 1.2 for Mac OS X Panther 10.3.3.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Stephen
    Is it possible to expand the for sale category, similar to the menus under Community?
    I was about to post that request too. Guess I won't so...

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

yeahey scroll bar on subbed list \o/

Are you still using that 486 Dustaz? Seriously though, what browser/OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Winxp and the latest IE.

The lag isnt major, but its there. If the old menus were LAN then the new ones seem like dsl or something ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Just tried myself with IE and XP. Very very slight lag first time I went to it but I don't think I'd have noticed if I wasn't watching out for it. Using a PII 400Mhz and I'm subscribed to about 30ish forums. How many are you subscribed to?

Actually, tried again and it was more like half a second for it to drop down. Maybe related to the scroll bar. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cloud
    You may or may not have noticed that I've put back the new DHTML menu up top - the creators have fixed the previous bugs in Mozilla and Firefox, so it should now work in those browsers too.
    Opera cough cough

Works fine now. A little too much to the left yesterday on 7.23 but better than it was for the last week (in other words, not half off-screen) and now perfectly in the centre. Subbed dropdown has no lag for me (p3-500, subbed to about 12 boards)

Cheers Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ecksor
    Just tried myself with IE and XP. Very very slight lag first time I went to it but I don't think I'd have noticed if I wasn't watching out for it. Using a PII 400Mhz and I'm subscribed to about 30ish forums. How many are you subscribed to? Actually, tried again and it was more like half a second for it to drop down. Maybe related to the scroll bar. *shrug*
    Actually I like the the shift in the time delay, the other menu was a bit trigger happy any time you went near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I noticed something, which I haven't before so maybe it's a recent occurance. When you mouse over forums in the subbed list and the name appears in the status bar, for a split second the full link is seen, and then changes to the last poster. Kind of has a wierd effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm, RE subscription menu - you couldn't by any chance remove the "Subscribed Journals" sub-menu for people who haven't subscribed to anyones journal?
    Or no, never mind - I'll go and subscribe to a few journals that'll make the brain hurts stop eey?

Advertisement