Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Bruce "concern" at Ireland's end of season friendlies

• 20-05-2004 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/3732225.stm

I see Brucie is unhappy with our end of season plans. He has a point, but I did find it funny when he said
    I can't see the point of international friendlies at that time unless you are building up for a European Championship or a World Cup

So if you're preparing for Euro 2004, who do you play? One of the other 16 teams who qualified?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by therecklessone
    So if you're preparing for Euro 2004, who do you play? One of the other 16 teams who qualified?
    :D good point. Anyway, is there no such thing as preparing for the qualifiers? I don't think he meant a bit of what he said, he just wants to keep Cunningham safe TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Birmingham don't have a competitive game for two and a half months now, so it'd want to be a broken leg or something to keep an injured player out. Anyway isn't Cunnigham banned for the first two games of next season after getting sent off a couple of weeks ago? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

You would think Bruce would want morrison to have more games. he has only scored only 4 goals this season and if he scored a few ireland it would give him a boost. I understand about Cunningham cause he is 32, but Kerr will be fair to him and i think he would like to see O'Brian and Breen in CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yes, why not? After all Ireland played all their pre-WC2002 full international friendlies against fellow qualifers (Russia, Denmark, USA and Nigeria).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Pigman II
    Yes, why not? After all Ireland played all their pre-WC2002 full international friendlies against fellow qualifers (Russia, Denmark, USA and Nigeria).

Because there are twice as many qualifiers for the WC as the EC.

Could get awkward when all 16 teams want to play 3 friendlies for example. Who gets to play at home? Who'd organise it!

• Advertisement

Could get awkward when all 16 teams want to play 3 friendlies for example. Who
    gets to play at home? Who'd organise it!

If you only have to play 3-4 friendlies then you still have a choice of 12 teams to fill those three slots. Hardly a logistical nightmare.

As to the home and away question that pretty much solves itself. Teams with good support (eg Ireland) usually play at home because we can generate viable revenues from friendlies whereas teams with crappy local support (eg Czech Republic) or the 'glamour factor' (eg Brazil) ususally elect to playing away in order to pick up appearance fees for their inconveniences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yea but pigman a team is hardly going to want to play a friendly againts a team in their group so that only leaves 12 teams to choose from to try and play 3 or 4 games against each other!.

Come on it doesn't make much sense.

Originally posted by irish1
    Yea but pigman a team is hardly going to want to play a friendly againts a team in their group
    If you had read it - you would see I aleady mentioned the number '12' in my previous post for that very reason.

so that only leaves 12 teams to choose from to try and play 3 or 4 games against each other!.
    Come on it doesn't make much sense. [/B]

If you have 16 teams and each of them has to play single 1-off games against a particular 12 (ie not the 3 in your group) then you are left with 96 choosable fixtures.

In order to give each of these 16 sides 4 games against each other you only need to fulfill 32 games out of those 96 choices - leaving a lot of room for maneuver.

It makes perfect sense and I don't see how much simplier it could be.

If you have 16 teams and each of them has to play single 1-off games against a particular 12 (ie not the 3 in your group) then you are left with 96 choosable fixtures.

In order to give each of these 16 sides 4 games against each other you only need to fulfill 32 games out of those 96 choices - leaving a lot of room for maneuver.

It makes perfect sense and I don't see how much simplier it could be.
    Yea but try and get them agreed to that, friendlys against non qualified teams makes a lot more sense, a lot easier to arrange.

Bruce is just getting annoyed because his captain is having to play a few games for his country if we had qualified would he still be complaining?? I doubt it we have a young team that needs all the games possible for experience.

So that blue shirt boy can go feck off:D

PS I'm a Villa fan so I just love Bruce;)

Yea but try and get them agreed to that, friendlys against non qualified teams makes a lot more sense, a lot easier to arrange.

UEFA Could organise it with input from the associations themselves. I personally couldn't care less if it did/didn't happen, point is it COULD be arranged without too much difficulty if all concerned were willing.

• Advertisement

if all concerned were willing.

In there you had the magic word IF :D

In there you had the magic word IF :D

Remember the farsical World Club championships? When FIFA said 'jump' the clubs said 'how high? This would just be a similar dynamic and none of them would go against the grain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Does anyone know if the Nigeria and Jamaica matches are going to be televised?

Advertisement