Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for beethoven piece

• 20-05-2004 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

does anyone know a cd - album or compliation - that has the 3rd movement of the C# Minor Sonata ('moonlight')? Ive trawled through GD, HMV, etc but can't find it anywhere.

any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i just did a quick search through my mp3 collection
    iv got loads of stuff i dont even know about
    is this
    Moonlight Sonata No 14 in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 21
    what you want?
    if so ill email it to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas, Vol. 1 by John O'Conor has the whole Moonlight, as well as the Pathétique and Appassionata. It's a great recording, I've listened to it a lot, I'd definitely recommend it. I'm surprised HMV or Tower don't have it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

There are a number of very well priced collections of the complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas. In the last two weeks I have certainly come across copies upstairs in HMV on Grafton Street and upstairs in Tower Records on Wicklow Street.

There are a number of budget price labels that you will buy a complete Moonlight Sonata for less than €10, or expect to pay in the order of about €60 (up to about €100) for a set of the complete Piano Sonatas.

I have the complete Piano Sonatas recorded by Bernard Roberts on the Nimbus Records label. It cost me the princely sum of €9.99 for the complete box set.

The John O'Connor recordings are certainly very worthwhile- he plays Beethoven in a traditional way that is shunned by many of the modern pianists. (By the way, John O'Connor is doing the complete Piano Sonatas in the National Concert Hall over a few months next year).

If in doubt about which recording to buy, I would recommend Tower Records- the guy who runs the classical section in there really knows his stuff. If you ask him, he'll point you in the right direction. In general, my experience is that Tower are more competitive pricewise than HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Righty.

I popped into HMV on my way to the NCH tonight.

They have a complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas box set, performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy, for €89.99

They have a complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas box set (various artists) for €71.99

They have a Naxos recording of the Moonlight for €7.99

They have an Alfred Brendel single CD recording of a few of the Beethoven sonatas, including the moonlight, for €14.99

They have a 2CD Alfred Brendel Beethoven sonatas recording, including the moonlight, for €23.99.

Surely there's something there that fills your need.

(btw I highly recommend the Brendel recordings- I have a few recordings of his live piano performances and they are magnificent).

Let us know which recording you get... and why you chose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

wow, cool thanks everyone!! thats real helpful.

hhave jotted down some of the performers names, gonna go in tomorrow (sunday) and get two or three versions. sweet.

Note: htere's a particurlary brilliant version of the 9th symph finale on some 'best of CD' someone gave me. its 'Naxos - the best of Beethoven'. msot of the stuff on it isn't special but the version of the choral symph rocks. best ive ever heard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement