Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT to launch residential VoIP

Options
  • 20-05-2004 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Adding more products to the range is guaranteed to fix the billing system!
    Esat BT to launch residential VoIP
    Thursday, May 20 2004
    by Ciaran Buckley

Esat BT has vowed to redouble its efforts to gain voice telephony market share, but may ultimately pursue it through VoIP rather than traditional fixed-lines.

Ireland's second largest telecoms company said that decisive action by ComReg and the government on the issues of wholesale line rental and single billing were immensely helpful to the company and would help it to make in-roads into Eircom's dominant market share.

But ComReg's actions will also help the other CPS operators in the fixed-line telephony market and Esat BT's CEO Bill Murphy acknowledged that the telephony market will continue to be "challenging." But he stated that Esat BT would continue its involvement with the Irish voice market, whether through fixed-lines or through emerging voice over IP (VoIP) technology.

"We are a network company, the network is at the very heart of the business," said Bill Murphy, CEO of Esat BT. "But the new wave is in broadband and integrated solutions, integrating data and voice."

[...]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Surely offering us more choice about how we make our calls can only be a good thing?

Covered on the register here

That gives me the possibility in the near future of having just my line rental and my BB with IOL and having nothing else to pay. (although Im sure there will be a charge associated with it )

Fair play to them - at least they are showing a bit of forward thinking.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

decisive action by ComReg and the government on the issues of wholesale line rental and single billing
    When did this happen??

Remember kiddies, this is the same EsatBT that is still charging €340 per month for their unbundled 2Mb DSL service, when Netsource are reselling Eircom's €170 service for €160. The short version? I'll believe it when I see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    Surely offering us more choice about how we make our calls can only be a good thing?
    Of course, however I didn't say choice was bad; in fact I'm a little bit confused as to how you'd extract that conclusion from my post.

My point is that EsatBT has a fundamental flaw, in that their billing system is well and truly borked. Always has been, and there's ample evidence on Boards that little has changed. Since billing is the foundation of any good business, Bill Murphy's priority as CEO of EsatBT should be to correct this problem before anything else, since it should be obvious to anyone that more products can only serve to complicate billing even further.

A few hours spent weeding out the incompetent and/or dishonest element in EsatBT sales would be time well spent too. If he corrected these two problems, I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for both him and his company.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Of course, however I didn't say choice was bad; in fact I'm a little bit confused as to how you'd extract that conclusion from my post.

My point was that IOL appear to be the first to offer VOIP in Ireland and since you mentioned that you have problems with their billings I assumed you would prefer them to sort that out first.

Whereas I on the other hand have had no problem with their billings and therefore will be cheering them on when they announce a new product that gives me more choice.

Therefore Im over the moon about more choice whereas you would prefer they get their existing services right first. If I have assumed wrongly then sorry, my bad.

Advertisement