Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOTR, Return of the King: Early DVD release????

• 20-05-2004 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Does anyone know if and where the Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King is being released early on DVD?

The official release date is Tuesday, May 25th. But as was the case with Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, general release took place the Friday beforehand (in this case, i.e. tomorrow).

If anyone knows more details, or if anyone is involved in the retail business, please post here! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭PaulHughesWH

Just to remind everyone, the trilogy box-set of theatrical versions for all 3 films goes on sale in the next week, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Anyone know anything about an extended edition box set? I'd like to get that if it's to be released.

That ain't helping me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you had preordered with play or cdwow or dvdsoon then there was probably a good chance they would have despatched it early. DVDSoon do this alot.
    As for knowing if the shops will break the release date, just go into them tomorrow and check if it's out or not.
    Is 5 days really going to kill you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well my copy has just changed to packing status on DVDSOON. It should ship tomorrow.

Xtravision normally have releases up early. Just check with them tomorrow afternoon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DVD's and CD's normally hit irish retail shops the friday before the english release date.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    As for knowing if the shops will break the release date, just go into them tomorrow and check if it's out or not.
    Is 5 days really going to kill you?

I don't know... I'm in the middle of exams at the moment, and I have a pretty big one on Tuesday... NOT the ideal time to be getting ROTK on DVD!

Would rather get it tomorrow, sit down and watch it a few times, and then concentrate on Tuesday. Rang Xtravision in Mullingar on Monday, and they said it probably won't be on the shelves until the 25th. But then again, when the Two Towers went on sale early, I bought on Friday morning in (above all places) Tesco in Edenderry!

Has anyone seen it in Dublin yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun
    Anyone know anything about an extended edition box set? I'd like to get that if it's to be released.

Read somewhere recently that Jackson was thinking of releasing a special edition box set of the ees, with loads more extras, including bloopers, but not until he had finished up current projests. So make that in a couple of years. Perfect timing, coz I'll have worn out my ees at that stage :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As far as I'm aware, the Extend Edition will be out around November. It will be include about 40 extra minutes of footage. I might just wait for this release rather than the theatrical cut.

Hmm I couldn't wait but I will be buying the EE as well (with whatever statues it has as well !!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its in xtravision now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Which Xtravision?? I foned my local one in Ashleaf Centre and they told me it wont be out til Tues :(

I think its at the discretion of the different stores. Xtravision in Mullingar was off limits ("We can show you the box if you like"), but I picked ROTK up in a different establishment. :D

If someone has seen it for sale in Dublin or surrounding areas ie. Kildare, Wicklow etc please post here!!!
    I want ROTK NOWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :D

I'm sure if you look in a lot of places tomorrow, you'll find it... you're best bet is the lesser-known shops, not Xtravision, Golden Discs or Virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by PaulHughesWH
    But then again, when the Two Towers went on sale early, I bought on Friday morning in (above all places) Tesco in Edenderry!
    Tesco did an unofficial jump the gun in most stores last time.

Golden Discs in Arthur's Quay (Limerick) are terrible (er, terribly good) for doing the same with every CD you can think of. The Limerick HMV has begun to follow. Might be worth checking tomorrow for Limerick folk, though I'll be waiting for the extended edition to go with the other two.

Originally posted by Rabies
    Its in xtravision now :D
    Sorry, was told it was xtravision. but it wasn't. It is on sale in Heartbeat City since yesterday, €35.
    Watched it last night :)

It is on sale in Heartbeat City since yesterday, €35.

Where is this place??

I don't know of any in Dublin. There is a store in Kilkenny, Thurles, Tullamore and few other places.

Couldn't find a website for them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Originally posted by ixoy
    As far as I'm aware, the Extend Edition will be out around November. It will be include about 40 extra minutes of footage.

Rumours put the amount of extra footage as being a hell of a lot more than that.

• Advertisement

DUNNES STORES HAVE BROKEN THE RELEASE DATE!!!
    I just bought it in Dunnes 15 mins ago!! Woo hoo!! :D
    *happy happy happy, joy joy joy* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Available in Waterford in...

Sinnotts €40
    Golden Discs €34

Haven't looked anywhere else in town.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by halenger
    Rumours put the amount of extra footage as being a hell of a lot more than that.
    Rumors might, but they might be wrong. Here's some more infosource from New Line Home Entertainment's marketing division :

Q: When is the Special Extended Edition coming out?

A: It is scheduled to release just before Christmas 2004.

Q: Why isn’t the Special Extended Edition hitting stores earlier, since the theatrical DVD is releasing sooner?

A: Logically, it would seem that it could be done sooner, especially without another Lord of the Rings film to finish; however, that hasn’t been the case. Peter Jackson was quite busy with many commitments during the awards season. Since he was away from New Zealand, he could not cut an extended version of the film. Traditionally, after he cuts the film, there are months and months of work to do to complete the cut – including Howard Shore’s additional score and Weta Digital’s new special effects.

For the special features, many of the interviews with the cast and crew were completed during pickups for the next film, as everyone was in the same place (New Zealand). Now that all filming is complete, everyone is scattered across the world – making it more difficult to get the interviews to create bonus materials.

It would have been ideal to release it sooner, but we didn’t want to compromise the quality of the DVD to get the product in stores earlier.

Q: How long is the Extended version of The Return of the King?

A: It looks like the running time will be over four hours long.

Q: What additional scenes were added?

A: Like The Two Towers extended version, the story of Faramir is shown in greater detail. There are returning characters and new characters, such as Saruman after the flooding of Isengard and the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate. Much of the new footage contains extra dialogue and action to further elaborate on each character’s personal journey.

Originally posted by ixoy

Q: Why isn’t the Special Extended Edition hitting stores earlier, since the theatrical DVD is releasing sooner?

A: Logically, it would seem that it could be done sooner, especially without another Lord of the Rings film to finish; however, that hasn’t been the case. Peter Jackson was quite busy with many commitments during the awards season. Since he was away from New Zealand, he could not cut an extended version of the film. Traditionally, after he cuts the film, there are months and months of work to do to complete the cut – including Howard Shore’s additional score and Weta Digital’s new special effects.

For the special features, many of the interviews with the cast and crew were completed during pickups for the next film, as everyone was in the same place (New Zealand). Now that all filming is complete, everyone is scattered across the world – making it more difficult to get the interviews to create bonus materials.

It would have been ideal to release it sooner, but we didn’t want to compromise the quality of the DVD to get the product in stores earlier.

/translates

"we want to make as much money as possible with a christmas release"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Apparently Electronics Boutique in the US has got into trouble for breaking the release date (story here.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

/translates

"we want to make as much money as possible with a christmas release"

No it doesn't. The first two special editions were incredibly extensive sets. They weren't just cobbled together in a month or two. These things take time. It will be well worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by Dac51
    Available in Waterford in...

Sinnotts €40
    Golden Discs €34

Haven't looked anywhere else in town.

Crikey, those prices are just OTT if you ask me.

Anything of €30 is theft, plain and simple.

Thats why I have ordered it off DVDSoon. I would prefer to wait and pay less. I should have it by the end of the week it shipped Friday :)

Advertisement