Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a deposit back

Options
  • 20-05-2004 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hey,

The story is as follows: For my first semester in college I was living in a house that I was not happy with. At the end of the semester I decided that enough was enough and I would move out for the next semester. I proceeded to give my landlady 4wks notice. She decided to withhold my deposit. Saying that I had agreed to only get my deposit back at the end of May (I hadn't signed anything saying as such, no lease involved). I was annoyed to say the least. The house was in perfect condition when I left, my father had even fixed my broken wardrobe and my heating which she had delayed in doing anything about it for a couple of weeks. This meant that I paid for heating oil that I got no benefit from in one of the coldest weeks of the year.

All the above happened at the end of January this year. Should I ring her up at this stage looking for my deposit back? Do I have a right to my deposit back? I have receipts that I paid a deposit and all my receipts for rent paid.

A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to your deposit back *unless* you had agreed (even if you agreed verbally) that you would stay until May and the deposit is by way of default (she needs to actually prove loss).

Having waited this long won't have helped your case, but if she refuses, make sure you have a copy of form RENT1 from www.revenue.ie to claim your tax credit.

There are lots of things you can do, even going to Small Claims Court (minimal cost).

Advertisement