Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€5000 - Bike Suggestions Please!

Options
  • 20-05-2004 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Right , motor loan approved by the bank..now want to get a different bike.

Been driving a Virago 125 for several years now and feel reasonably confidant that i'm capable of driving a bigger big safely.

I'd like a non "racing" style of bike, preferably low maintenance, will be kept outdoors as no interior parking..which pretty much rules out anything chrome :((

I'd like something pretty fast if possible, but mostly reliable and low maintenance, and preferably in a "sit up and beg" style as my local bike shop calls the riding style.

So any suggestions?..has to be reliable, wont rust to peices left outside and reasonably fast, and preferably in a more upright riding position.

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

By 'upright', do you mean the Africa Twin / Varadero style seating position? These two bikes seem to be quite popular (the Varadero is only a couple of years old IIRC). Or you could consider a muscle bike - something like an XJR or Bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

ah i was in the same boat as you a few years back, was on a suzuki marauder for a year (crap bike) and needed something with a little life in it, never wanted to get a sports bike myself, coz if i got one i know i'd drive it too hard and probably kill myself so i stuck with cruisers and don't regret it for a second.

for about €5000 ish you should be able to pick up something similar to what i'm currently on now which is a '99 yamaha dragstar 650, very nice machine all round although not that popular for some unknown reason.

when i got the bike 3 years ago i did'nt know a huge amount about bikes or maintanence of them, and 3 years on i know just about enough to keep me going and that's about it. propably the best thing about htis bike is it's low maintenence costs, a good service every 3-4k when it needs it and it'll never let ya down. also it is shaft driven too which means low maintenence and service costs (no chains and sprockets which i replaced twice on the suzuki in 1 year and damn they were expensive) but then i do a good amount of mileage :-\

if you can get the classic version of the bike all the better it's got chunkier looking forks and fenders which look really good, and a must for the bike is the slash cut exhaust, ya just gotta have them to really hear the bike roar :)

insurance on then is pretty good too as they are group 6 insurance so not too high which really helps if your a young driver like myself.

as for it being fast...i have a great laugh with all the so called "boy racers" around here in there supped up civics and starlets and crap like that, i just pull up beside then at traffic lights and leave them well behind on a good stretch of road, also have a laugh coz they try so hard to keep up with me to impress the girls in the cars ;) LoL

rust ain't a big problem either so long as you take care of the bike, a good wash and polish will have it sparkling, just use a good chrome polish and you'll be fine :)
    mine is parked outside at night and rarely covered so it sees all weather and apart from a few small specks on the wheel rims (which should come off on the next polish) it's pretty damn good at holding off the rust.

another advantage with this machine is that because of the power/weight ratio you can drive it on a provisional A licence without a need to get it restricted, again if your a young driver starting off on big bikes this will play a big part in deciding what you can and cannot go for.

i've had my dragstar for 3 years now and have put up almost 30k on it and i can see myself holding onto it for another 2 at least until i'm 25 and then trying to get myself a harley fatboy :D Big thumbs up here for the yamaha dragstar 650.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Eye
    Big thumbs up here for the yamaha dragstar 650.

Aye man.. cant go wrong with a drag star 650! Broke my heart to sell mine.. but I stayed in the Yamaha Star range so at least that's something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, one of the lads in work has a Drag Star and is looking to sell..am in love, he leaves it outside too and seems its made of better quality materials than my Virago, it looks great...would brake my heart to move from a cruiser tbh...so think a Drag Star it will be, also the lack of chain appeals hugely..three years on a Virago and have gone through 4 chains and sprocket sets, i do drive a lot..but this seems excessive..so shaft drive seems ideal.

Thanks guys..a shiney Drag Star seems to be what i'm gonna go for :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TabluaRasa

The Suzuki Bandit 600cc is a lovely bike and looks best without the fearings, here's some nice pictures (with and without fearings)

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6366/gallery.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Longfield
    Thanks guys..a shiney Drag Star seems to be what i'm gonna go for :)
    Hurrah, another star owner! There's a good few now, might be time to setup an Irish constellation of the ISRA :D

Advertisement