Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gaming moment?

Options
  • 20-05-2004 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Had a quick look, and couldnt see this posted before so...

What do you you think was the best moment in any game you've played, something that really stuck out, like a plot twist that made you go "ooooohh" or something. Do any immediatly spring to mind? Just curious to see what scenes people really remember from games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

First time playing doom in a dark room, hearing monster noises from my PC. Scared the fvck out of me.

Meeting the Shambler for the first time in Quake

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Stepping out of the gunship when you land on Tallon IV for the first time in Metroid Prime and just seeing this beautiful world...
    Most of my best gaming moments are of the satisfaction on finishing a really good game kind though:
    like beating Wind Waker in the early hours of christmas day, or beating Metroid Zero Mission in under an hour, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Lol, playing halflife for the first time and this lil tiny crab jumps outta nowhere and sticks onto my face :0 I tried to run away with this thingy stuck onto meh like a leech but where was I going to go ;), bit like running around like a headless chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Entering Hyrule field for 1st time, sticking sword in ganon for last time.
    Taking out Vexar (works for EA ) with a tank in BF1942 he was in a plane luckiest damn shot ever :D
    Beatin Body harvest throwing gamepad on floor and saying "fook that was hard".
    Getting 1.2 mill in SF2 for 1st time.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

oh god where to start......
    when tails comes along in the plane at the end of sonic 2 was the earlist memorable moment for me, nearly cried
    seeing lake hylia for the first time in ocarina of time was another one of those unforgettable moments
    that bit in grim fandango when the guy tells you "THE SERVER IS NEVER DOWN" or glotys ripping his own heart out
    ico, any part of the game, it was just great in itself
    pikmin's Extraordinary Bolt, the omega pirate in metroid prime, bobomb battlefield, the road to zanarkand in ffx, the golden saucer in ffvii, i really could go on for a long long time..........the bleeding walls in silent hill 3! have to mention them.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

My favourite gaming moment ever happened to somebody else. I was playing Urban Terror (reality mod for Quake III), and had died, so I was ghosting some bloke from the opposing team. The only member left on our team was some guy who had 999'd, and was sitting idle in some corner of the level. Unfortunately for this game, the guy I was ghosting couldn't find him, despite scouring the level.

So, as the clock counted down towards zero, he got out some of his trusty knives, and started lobbing them around for amusement (you could throw knives in Urban Terror). 5... 4... 3... *some more knife throwing*... 2...

Knife flies over the top of a building and out of sight. Lands in the head of our lagging team-mate. It was insanely lucky. If you ever wanted to witness a collective jaw-drop, that was the place to be. I'll probably take that memory to my grave. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ahhh good thread idea, i like it :)

Hmmm lets see.
    Icos ending, god damn that was good. Made me weepy *L*
    Aeris' death scene in FFVII, i so didnt see that one coming.
    Fighting the enormous bosses in metoid prime, the big boulder type one and the big feckin dragon (forget thier names)
    The choice you have to make near the end of SW:KOTOR, man that one had me on the edge of my seat!
    The assault on the pillar of autumn in Halo.
    The ending of Vagrant story, abolute classic, one of the best game endings ever!
    Every moment of every zelda game ive played :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Completing Halo on the PC man it was long and tidies and getting to play Pacman on an old arcade machine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well lets see

Staying up till 5am when i ws 9 years old finishing perfectly sonic 3 and knuckles and watching the ending with a deep sense of satisfaction while my mate was half asleep in a bowl of weetos

Playing half life for the first time, the dam level. My mom had bought one of those prima strategy guides with the game but i refused to look at it. A friend of mine was also playing through the game and had got to this bit 10 minutes earlier then me. He was stuck on it for ages. I took one look at the cannon at the other end of the damn and at the apache...Took out my crossbow and put a bolt down the guns barrel (yes you can do that) the cannon blew up! and the rest of the level was easy enough. My friend didnt do this and with deep satisfaction i listened to him curse and cry over the phone 2 hours later as he couldnt get pass it. On a funny note after completing the game i looked in the strat guide and it didnt tell me to blo up the cannon with a bolt either. I dont think i have met anyone who tried that first time yet...

Completing Shenmue 1 and then Shenmue 2...most satisfying.

A immortal battle of Soul Calibur between me and a m8 which went on forever. Including a draw when we both struck each other at the exact same time (me being Mitsurugi and he was Hwang) and in the end me coming out triumphant on the tiniest bit of health...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Your first non-fluke 1 bullet headshot in CS :D no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Command and conquer tiberian sun, the movie with the return of our one true god Kane *bows*

Also as mentioned above KOTOR was very good.

But there are way too many to list, gaming is my life.The first time i played and won solitare and all the cards started doing there dance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by rainbow kirby
    Stepping out of the gunship when you land on Tallon IV for the first time in Metroid Prime and just seeing this beautiful world...
    marry me:)
    that's my favourite moment, goddamnit.

alright then; from the same game.
    meta ridley's shadow passing over phendara (sp!) drifts
    it happened at a moment when i was starting to feel that maybe buying a gamecube for 1 game was a little ott
    haven't looked back since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Some good ones there. In half life there was a f**ker of a head crab that would jump at ye will you were in an airduct and you couldnt see it til the last second. Everytime the little bastard gets me!

Also KOTOR, when you find out
    your actually the big bad guy
    was totally unexpected. First time in a long while where something caught me totally by surprise.

Finally beating the demolition derby part in full throttle ( I was 10 at the time so I just wouldnt give up, played that part for 3 hours straight before finally conceeding defeat and finding a walktrough :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

1. Finally getting to Polito on Deck 4 in System Shock 2. Didn't see it coming.....

2. The intro of full throttle... the dust cloud behind Malcolm Corley's car, the guitars getting louder.... the riff kicking in. I think it was the first time I heard a song in a computer game.

3. Command & Conquer. Kane shooting a newsreader through the head, and addressing you for the first time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

All of GoldenEye on the n64 - the only reason I got that damn console:D - the begining of Red Alert 2 when you see all the kirovs over New York and the russian tank knocking down the "Welcome To Texas - Drive Safely" sign. The whole of HL except for Xen, I could tell from the begining it was going to be a classic game:). Any UT match we played in college with more then 6 people in it, damn that was a good lan game:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Grim Fandango, when the leader of the resistance (cant remember his name) is shot with the flower gun and all thats left is his head - then all of a sudden he goes "hola manuél!) - classic moment!

Playing Aliens vs Predators for the first time as a marine and having to choose between a flashlight or sitting in the dark listening to beep........beep.....beep...beep..beep.beepbeepbeepbeep ROWWWWWLLLLL! ARRRGGHHH! etc... damn scary!

Been mentioned already, but the shambler in q1, wow.

Beating liverpools record of 18 top flight division championships with middlesbrough in one stretch (19 championships after the other) in CM3 - im not sad - honest! :-)

Same game, winning the champions league with shelbourne!

KOTOR - all of it.

The first time i played X-wing on a 486 - that really blew my mind - man i was addicted to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Playing Super Mario for about 2 years and then I realised that when I got a mushroom it gave me better powers. All that time I was running away from then.
    ROFL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

LMFAO...
    Brilliant! ARRGH !!! AH MUSHROOM! SAVE US!
    :D

For me, its either....

The visitors waiting room in the Police Station in Resident Evil. Its a safe room, we know from the music and the trunk. Grand so. I'll just round this corner and move o-wtf? Did you just see something through the window? I could have sworn...Hang on I'll try again. I just round this corner and- nope. Nothing. Guess I was dreaming. Ah well, on I go. There can't possibly be one of the most terrifying horror monsters ever created waiting on the other side of this door. Oh no. Tum ti tum...hallway.

And then the squelching noise. Masterful.

Also, the first time I played Silent Hill. Jesus...Like nothing else I'd ever played, since or before. No frame of reference... no weapons...no idea whats going on..

But I think number one would be the first time I actually killed somebody in MGS2. I sorta thought I was completely desensitised to violence in videogames. And after all, I had just spent most of the game knocking people unconscious with a dart gun. Why should killing them be any different? The guy was unconscious, and I...I shot him in the head. The way the body took the impact...the blood spatter...I'm the kind of person who forces soldiers in C&C to massacre civilians, and each other. I've butchered thousands of CG characters over the years. I've always loved GTA...but killing the soldier made me sick to my stomach. I did (of course) end up killing lots of people in the game, but if I could at all avoid it, I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

defeating the emerald weapon in FF7

tekkit super aire tam tekkit, final attack revive

stupidity? when i my first pc just before xmas i got red alert 2 for xmas, and if you ever bother to read the installation instructions they recommend a thorough scan disc and defrag i think before installation, so on xmas day i went about doing this not knowing how long it takes before i went and installed it iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

[blank screen]

"Paris in the fall, the last months of the year, and the end of the millenium. The city holds many memories for me, of Cafe's, of music, of love, and of death."

[Broken Sword logo & really powerful music]

Beneath a Steel Sky intro, when they blow up the gap (my sig!)

Playing the GTA demo on my PS with my cousin, trying to kill as many people and stay alive until the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hughobrien

I loved in Half-Life, when you pushed the button to call an elevator and it plumets downwards with screaming scientists inside.

And in Alien Vs Predator 2, the alien level where at the start, the screen was bright red. After a moment of clicking the fire button (thinking it had crashed), I realised I was one of those chestburster things and was inside a guy. Brilliant!

And finally, GTA: Vice City, when I realised you can do wheelies on the motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

for some reason the link to that pic of the fish changes to a duke nukem one, anyway its on one of the sites i posted a link to.

The first game i plaed on the ps2 was devil may cry and i was absolotley blown away by it. I also was amazed by gta3 since it was so unique compared to anything at the time id love to be able to re-create that feeling of amazement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Actually theres a classic. GTA: VC: Everybody remembers the first time they heard Billie Jean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, i'd forgotten all about GTA3:)
    being blown away by the scale of portland island, only to unlock staunton an hour or so later:eek:

crashing your pcj600 in vice city and scrambling back to it as quickly as possible, so that you don't miss any of the currently playing song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Sinclair - "How to be a complete bastard" (wata larf)

BCC Micro - "paper boy" (the obsessions begins)

Sega - "Streets of Rage" (thumb pain extreme)

PC - "C&C Red Alert" (first goes at networking !)

PC - "Half Life" (sploooooooooge)

I do have a WORST pc moment that stands out :

While on holidays in England I wanted to see what the new NINJA game was for the BBC Micro. I had illusions that it was going to have great graphics. The salesman in the shop loaded the game with great enthusiasm. When I saw it and attempted to play it I just wanted to DIE ! Total depression and utter dissapointment.

I was ranting for a new system when I got home that weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

There are lots of little scenes in games that stick out in my brain.

Tomb Raider (PSX)
    - Meeting that T-Rex for the first time. I'm surprised my heart survived.
    - Coming across Midas' hand. HAY WHAT'LL HAPPEN IF I JUMP ON THIS!!!1

Resident Evil (PSX)
    - Having those dogs burst through the window in the east wing of the mansion
    - Clearing out the entire mansion only to return to find it populated with hunters and giant spiders. Much worse than zombies. That was a soul crushing moment.

Legacy of Kain (PSX)
    - The intro sequence. Morbid, cinematic, class.
    - At my whim, the world can be restored, or damned. At my whim.

Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
    - Collapsing an entire sector in the main city.
    - Aries dies. Who saw that one coming?

Half life (PC)
    - What's this banging? A three headed monster that responds to noise only. Genius.
    - (Scientist): Oh, thank you for rescuing us!
    (Marine): Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat!

Baldurs Gate (PC)
    - Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes! Raaaaahhh! Cracks me up every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Quake 3: Finally beating every single player level on nightmare. Took me a while.

Gran Tourismo 3: Getting all licenses.

ZX Spectrum: Beating the first level of Jet Pac. I was probably about 10 at the time.
    - Finishing each of the Dizzy adventure games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by swiss
    Resident Evil (PSX)
    - Having those dogs burst through the window in the east wing of the mansion
    - Clearing out the entire mansion only to return to find it populated with hunters and giant spiders. Much worse than zombies. That was a soul crushing moment.

Legacy of Kain (PSX)
    - The intro sequence. Morbid, cinematic, class.
    - At my whim, the world can be restored, or damned. At my whim.

Ah classic, i forgot about them. :D
    LOK had so many good moments, kain breaking the soul reaver on raziel, raziel confronting his brothers (melciah was great) Do you not recognise me brother? Am i so changed?

And how could i have forgotten removing 3 zombies heads with one magnum round in Resi evil 2
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

For Ocarina it has to be when you get into hyrule field for the first time and then jumping the fence with Epona freom the lon lon ranch.

Another great video game moment was when i saw thsat new zelda video from e3 this year. It sent shivers down my spine and the reaction from the crowfdd was ****in amazing.

Finishing the legend of zelda (Nes) when i was only about 7. took me and my brother ages and i beat him to it

PLaying viewtiful joe. just pure genius.

Finshing tiberian sun with NOD just by literally sending my 3 missile launchers directly to their points and not actully doing anything in the level.

Advertisement