Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gaming moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I suppose it's been mentioned already but it is one of my favorites when I got 100 rings in Sonic 2 with all the Emeralds and going Golden/Super Sonic - i nearly cried it was great:D. I was so bloody happy!, and also staying in my friends house with my sega mega and playing Ballz(fighting game) for 8 hours in a row so we could finish it. My friend left me to take care of the Final Boss he was a vicious guy but I eventually bet him......only to have him come back to life:eek:. i had to beat him twice, I JUST made it with a hair of life left, we were overjoyed, totally knackered but elated:D.

Then we found out what our "prize" for beating the game was - we had to replay the entire game beating everyone we already bet; this time we were the first boss of the game:rolleyes:. I gave up after 1/2 hour - there is only so much I can take. There were 6 bosses*8 hours = 48 hours. Still it was a very satisfying feeling completing it:). Completing Street Fighter(all of them), with above friend, was also a VERY good waste of many happy hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Golden/Super Sonic
    Yeah, he was cool!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Super Monkey Ball 2 - plugging a second joypad into my jubberly cube.
    gonna have to buy 2 more now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Seeing Bowser in Mario 3.... MAN HE WAS HUGE!

Beating my cousin 24 - 2 in sensible soccer on the Amiga.

Monkey Island 2 (all of it)

Playing Duke3d for the first ever time... God it blew my mind! It was just incredible!

The whole of Ikaruga... even when I just stick it on to play it again.

Eternal Darkness (the insanities and some of the cutscenes were just incredible)

Roadkill for the Amiga... the voice over as you killed and killed getting more intense and more intense! Of course now it's in all the fps's but that was the first time I'd ever seen it.

Playing Settlers on the amiga with my friend... we left the house for a few hours, came back to find the map COVERED in trees. :) Absolutely brilliant!

BG2 - Edwin turning into a woman... and beating the Demogorgon.

Ultima 7 - Realising I could kill the woman running the mint, take her keys, raid the mint and tax office, then ressurect her and have her exchange all my gold bars for gold coins! :D

Toonstruck - Spike

Skies of Arcadia - Ramirez had the most incredible moves.. when he threw a player onto that icicle EVERYONE i know winced... he was just terrifying.

Chronotrigger - so many amazing moments... The Black Omen especially.

Playing Syndicate for the first time and watching that amazing intro and hitting the streets with a mini-gun and a vengeance :D

FINALLY beating Sonic The Hedgehog... must've been about 8... man what an amazing game!

The theme song to Cannon Fodder.

First time I ever played Super Stardust... it was a demo which was basically one of the tunnel parts. I was instantly in love.

Playing Theme Park for the first time... It was so incredible looking and fresh and captivatingly fun!

Flashback.

Beating Golden Axe.

Double Dragon 2... the helicopter bit at the beginning... I mean what a great start to the game!

Playing Minesweeper so much it started infecting my dreams.

Gaming has been such an important part of my life that I'd imagine there are HUNDREDS more great moments I cherish... this long winded list is just the first ones to come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

ff7 aeris dieing

mgs2 the opening scene

pro evoultion beating my mate he was france i was wales playing a 5-4-1 formation
    how i laughed for weeks

the very first fifa game on the mega drive and finding out you could run away from the ref :D LOL!!!!!!hahaha how i still laugh

discovering CS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

HL: When your in the vent before a garage.. and the marines shoot through the vent at you.. as the lightbeams come through the bullet holes. Genius :)

Plus, it makes you appreciate it much more when you realise how much entity work went into it :)

HL2: Any of the videos I've seen of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by lordsippa

Playing Theme Park for the first time... It was so incredible looking and fresh and captivatingly fun!
    That was an amazig game, I remember laughing my ass off the first time i saw someone fall out of a rollercoaster only to get up and start crying.....then just walk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Going to the shop to pick up my pre-ordered copy of a N64 with Mario 64

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

getting that all important match equalising capture on rock2 after relentless attacking for 20 minutes on rock2 in a vital league play-off match in TFC...

pure adrenalin rush & satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

FF7

Beating fallout 2 the first time.

first few minutes of silent hill

first zombie in resident evil.

My first good round in CS

Half-life the vent being shot out.

Beating Double Dragon 3

Beating Kazuya Mishima for the first time on hard in Tekken 2

Best round ever in TFC/TF1.5 badlands started out as engineer, held off under constant attack alone ,everyone was off capping, for about 10 mins towards the end I strafe back and forth between the default exit and see a spy two medics and a soilder drop down prime a emp grenade counted to 3 and let fly the entire top right of the screen lit up.

MoH:AA omaha beach, first time ever a friend said you have to play this level he loaded it up on hard...

finally beating chrono trigger from the bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Completing metroid prime! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......

Pokemon Colosseum-tearing through Syth's team with my groudon (mmmmmmmmm fire blast in full 3d...)

Super Smash Bros Melee-kicking Syth's ass. repeatedly. as kirby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i forgot pokemon yellow !!!!!!!

C-L-A-S-S-I-C !!!!!!!!! one of the best games ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Blade runner when I realised there was more than one ending - beauty of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Like mentioned before in Resident Evil, your in the police st. walkin down a corridor suddenly a shodow crawls across the outside of a window, next thing u turn the corner and there's this big nasty lickin bastard waiting for ya hanging upside down on the ceiling
    And all of KOTOR as already stated, and oh yeah in Opposing Force when you see Freeman jump into the portal pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Hmm quite a few to say:
    Freespace 2:the entire game but in particular flying beside the Sathanas and realising how massive it is.
    KOTOR:The massive twist towards the end and then the huge fights on the star forge.
    Max Payne:The whole game and its excellent story.
    Deus Ex:Exiting prison and realising where you were-pure shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

my first multiplayer game ever. was about 18, drank too much pepsi and shouted the house down every time one of my mates came at me with the chainsaw. Doom. Not a game. An experience. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Kunst

completing grim fandango.......

still my fav game after all these years....(tear comes to the eye)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Finishing archives on 00 Agent and getting invisibility.

That and eventually finding Saria's little hiding place in the Lost Woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Ah, so many great games, so many kickass memories...

FFVII - The first time I played it, down at my friends house. Blew me away. Such a brilliant game.

Zelda: OOT - The start, when you see from navi's perspective, flying through kokori village. So fantastic. I was following the game's production from it's first announcement, I was looking forward to it the whole time, and I wasn't in the least bit dissapointed. Magnificent game, stunning constantly.

Ico - Just in general. Beautiful is the only word I can think to describe it. Art in gaming.

F-Zero X - Going upsidedown at 2000 kph, mindbendingly fast. Great stuff.

Grim Fandango - *Insert classic line here*

Monkey Island - "How appropriate, you fight like a cow"

Deus Ex - Stalking around the statue of liberty with my trusty sniper riffle. Great game.

FFVIII - The intro. Liberi Fatali playing in the background, pumps you up totally. Best intro to any game ever bar none. Everyone should see it. The ending was very good too.

Silent Hill - The start. Very atmospheric and creepy.

System Shock II - Zombie like enemies coming up to you moaning "kill me", finding suicide corpses, seeing ghosts. Terrifying stuff, the only game to ever actaully scare me.

Mario Kart DD - In my college gamesoc, beating people who own the game to hell in battle mode with green shells.

Lylatwars - Changing the language to "lylat" for the first time. Cracked me and my brother up, not sure why. Really good game other than that too.

That's all I can think of for the moment, I'm sure there are many many more. Good thread. Some really great moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

whats werid is at the time these games all seemed amazin but i can play them for more than a couple of mins b4 im bored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PO-TA-TOES!!

running my first mission in Frontier
    Kazakhstan mission in Syndicate
    stepping out onto Talon overworld in Metroid Prime (& Phenrana Drifts)
    completing Cannon Fodder with Jools and Jops still alive!
    playing multiplayer quake for the first time
    Sniper shot from tower on 1st level of Goldeneye.....

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Best would have to be the twist in KOTOR, hadn't spoiled it for myself and it was such a huge suprise my jaw hit the floor. You feel so much for all the characters in the game and you get so involved that you can't help but feel angry about it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bleh3000

This seems like as good a place as any for my first post on this board...hello all :D

As for my best gaming moments (most of them have been mentioned already)

The intro song to Final Fantasy VIII (Liberi Fatali) - I watched that video again and again.

The intro to MGS 2, Harry Gregson Williams music was amazing.

For pure sense of achievement, finishing the Baldurs Gate saga - some of the bosses in this game are the hardest I have ever faced!

The first time I saw teenage Link in the Ocarina of time - he was so cool.

My first head shot in UT, in my first game. That alone got me hooked to the game for years.

And for pure nostalgia, any of Super Mario 3 on the NES, the best Mario ever, hands down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Many, many FF moments for me stick out tbh.
    Aeris dying in FFVII
    was a total shock for me that I never saw coming. I can remember ever detail of that night perfectly, and can remember my eyes were misting up a fair bit as well tbh.

But also, a FFVII moment, in that the day I bought it, I ended up playing for something crazy like 22 hours straight over at a friends house. I remember getting out of Midgar for the first time, and how satisfying it felt. The map screen music came out, and I started running Cloud around and my friends mom called us for dinner. Good times.

The end of FFX. I did cry at the end of this, and I usually do any time I watch it. I also want to scream at Tidus to tell Yuna he loves her. I always get a huge, ****eating smile on my face though when Tidus and Jecht low five right at the end.

The start of FFX was cool as well though. The music in the intro rocked, as did the whole Blitzball thing tbh. The FMV blew me away, and I loved the game for that moment alone.

A third memorable part of FFX though, would be when
    Tidus finds out that he is really just a dream of the Fayth.
    Everything was coming together so well at that point in the game, and then you find out that, and that
    he'll never end up with Yuna,
    and its just gut wrenching, but brilliant.

Oh, and watching Squall
    fall backwards
    after being
    struck with the ice dagger
    in FFVIII is pretty cool, as is the opening and ending of said game.

My favourite parts of VIII though are when the Ragnorak breaks through the
    energy barrier and walls of that building
    . The outstretched arms, the guns blazing...such a ****ing cool moment.

Watching the romance develop between Squall and Rinoa was cool as well (though the romace angle is done a lot better in X tbh). I liked when Rinoa gave herself up, and Squall rescued her, or when they're both floating helpless in space. What can I say, I'm a soppy bastard.

I loved the part in KOTOR where you find out that
    your really Revan
    as well by the ways. I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. You know something big is after happening, and some of the characters start getting pissy with you (Carth), but it just never occured to me what it actually was. I love it when a game draws me in that deep.

Also of note is the first time you draw the sword from the stone in Ocarina of time. The first time I saw it my jaw prolly caused tremors it hit the ground so hard. Such a powerful moment though.

As far as FPS's go. The room in Doom II where you walk in, and there's a pit filled with **** loads of monsters, and you realize you have to clear this room, but there's no way you can kill all the monsters in the pit before they come out and get you. You know there's a trick there, you just can't see it. It's the first time in a FPS where you have to stop and think for a few minutes, and it really, really did kick ass.

As for Half life, there were 2 parts that stuck out above all others for me. First was the part with the deaf tentacle monster. When I got to him I had f all health, and my only weapons were 7 or 8 grenades, and the crowbar. It took me an hour to get past the ****er afaik, but I loved every second of it. Tapping the ground with the crowbar, and then hurrying away and praying for dear life. How much better can you get.

The other moment is rather mundane. It occured several times in Half Life though. It was when you ran out of ammo, your low on health, and you run into a corridor, and one of the barnacles is hanging from the wall.. It always took me ages to pluck up the courage to run up to them and get sucked up for some reason. And when I stood back and thought about it, I always found that cool.

All I can think of for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles

A third memorable part of FFX though, would be when
    Tidus finds out that he is really just a dream of the Fayth.
    Everything was coming together so well at that point in the game, and then you find out that, and that
    he'll never end up with Yuna,
    and its just gut wrenching, but brilliant.
    Should have spoilered most of that.....

I forgot to mention earlier - the spinning N when you turned on your N64 with perfect dark, that still wow's me.
    Thief should also get some mention, probably the first time you blackjack a gaurd, really cool stuff.
    Broken swords "he looked at me as if i farted at a funeral", best joke in gaming.
    The modron cube in planescape torment, or seeing vhailors first critical hit, great great game.
    Watching a mothership go pop in homeworld.
    No one lives for ever 2, the tricicle bit with the scottish dude, probably my favourite part of and FPS/

ICO save music......bliss, i can hear it right now(probably because i'm listening to it).

Still too much to think of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Seeing Conker sawing up the N64 logo at the start of Conker's Bad Fur Day -'stupid logo...*chainsaw*'
    classic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Extra spoilers added.

And when doing so I had to see behind the KOTOR tags. I’ll try to blank that from my memory before restarting playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by monument
    And when doing so I had to see behind the KOTOR tags. I’ll try to blank that from my memory before restarting playing.

Sorry! :(

They didn't need changing though, so it's not entirely my fault. All the same though, sorry again mate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    Sorry! :(

They didn't need changing though, so it's not entirely my fault. All the same though, sorry again mate.

That’s ok, it serves me right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Originally posted by TheWolf
    Blade runner when I realised there was more than one ending - beauty of a game

Have to agree i thought Blade Runner was a top game although whatever i did i couldnt get a different ending, only the one of them
    driving off through the sewer in the car.

Advertisement