Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

the drivers rage continues....

Options
  • 20-05-2004 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

ok with the advent of about a weeks straight driving through the highways and byways of cork I've made a few observations/ asked myself a few qs:

With all the talk of young drivers not being able to drive etc. what is being done about old people (not all of them mind) but the few that insist on driving at 15 mph while you're madly braking around that bad corner you just turned in the 60mph zone trying not to crash into them...shouldn't there by like a drivers competence test at 65 you have to take?

Next ...mobiles! I know I know we're all sick of these threads but what about where you've people pulling in around bends on narrow roads just to take a call because their afraid of a few points? and then its ur fault if u rear end them? word of advice if u insist on talking while driving ,get the damn handsfree kit!And if you want to text while driving stay the **** home!

Also was driving behind a guy who kept insisting to TURN AROUND to talk to the other people in the car and it did my nut having to tail him for 2 miles at twenty (very twisty BAD road)

Annoying radio ads also grate on me....
    Said it already but the tetra pak ad (because the trees , because the trees because the ....SHUTUP!)really really grates on me and talk about a driving distraction!

On the topic of bad roads I have to head to to town every day on a cart track ...seriously bad situation...no suspension left @ all
    :dunno:
    I'll make this last point An Indicator is not just for Christmas (don't brake for 15 metres down to two miles an hour and then indicate when your on the apex of the corner ,I will find out where you live)

Thats about it might update this with more of my gripes later.....
    In the meantime feel free to add whatever dumb driving etc you experience on your daily commute!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

f*cking bikers :dunno:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by daggeredge
    shouldn't there by like a drivers competence test at 65 you have to take?
    I think you have to retake the test at 70.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Annoying radio ads also grate on me....
    Said it already but the tetra pak ad (because the trees , because the trees because the ....SHUTUP!)really really grates on me and talk about a driving distraction!
    Try the off switch :rolleyes:

BM.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

daggeredge you sound like one of those people who make driving a misery for the rest of us when we come across you on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Did you ever consider anger management??? Just a suggestion....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I think you have to retake the test at 70

Yeah that's an EU regulation
    what is being done about old people (not all of them mind) but the few that insist on driving at 15 mph

For that very reason Florida (retirement state) has a minimum speed law of 40mph on highways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the mobile thing is ridiculous at times, I was behind a guy in an astin martin db7 vantage yesterday who spent about twenty minutes on the phones. Now surely if he can afford to spend €150,000 r whatever on a car, then he can shell out a few quid for a car kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'll make this last point An Indicator is not just for Christmas (don't brake for 15 metres down to two miles an hour and then indicate when your on the apex of the corner ,I will find out where you live)

Whats worse are people who ignore your indicator ! On my daily school run there is a junction where the main road veers to the left such that the left turn seems to be the continuation of the main road. There is a no mans land painted on the road to force cars to follow the junction. I religously follow the road markings and indicate well in advance but I have lost count at the number of times someone ignores the road marking, my indicator and junction and nearly plowed into me. They then have the nerve to blast and flash me for my "mistake" - one threatened to call the Garda and report me for dangerous driving while proclaiming she was an excellent driver. I pleaded with her to go ahead and call them - she wouldn't.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MrHappy

Originally posted by unkel
    Yeah that's an EU regulation

Since when do you have to re-sit the Driving test at 70? My dad is 72 and still driving, and didnt have to take the test again?

He does have to get a doctors letter every 1 or 3 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

We all know a doctors letter aint worth piss. You can always find a doctor to write down anything for the right price.

Treat people like we treat our cars, get em into the NCT garage !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

Whats worse are people who ignore your indicator !

Multiple Occasions!

Also whats the story with heavy traffic being allowed into town (I can only speak for Cork here) but there is a little shortcut(very narrow but my micra cuts through!)that i take into the city sometimes and on more than two occasions I've had dump trucks and delivery trucks coming up against me (this is them going up a steep hill!)
    I really don't think trucks and artics should be allowed into the cities at peak times (or down certain back roads either but thats a different thing!)
    Yet one more thing .....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

With all the talk of young drivers not being able to drive etc. what is being done about old people (not all of them mind) but the few that insist on driving at 15 mph while you're madly braking around that bad corner you just turned in the 60mph zone trying not to crash into them...
    bad corner ... 60mph = shows your colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

I thought someone mightn't read that properly

(Shows YOUR colours!)

What it says is
    braking around that bad corner you just turned in the 60mph zone

Which doesn't say what speed I was travelling
    , it only says what speed the zone was!

Good 1!
    (said he sarcastically)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I think you have to retake the test at 70.

adam

No, this isn't the case. You only need a medical report at 70.

Also, I think anyone driving since before 1964 has **never** had to do a driving test! And they're probably the one's giving out about the younger drivers!

My granny has *all* categories on her licence (motorbikes, cars, truck, buses, . . .the lot! and has **never** done a test in any of them. She drives worse than those deadly-buzz joyriders.

I got a lift with her once and was screaming in terror for days.

Tommy.

Originally posted by TommyK
    No, this isn't the case. You only need a medical report at 70

Yes this is true, I stand corrected :o
    Originally posted by TommyK

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Originally posted by DukeDredd
    daggeredge you sound like one of those people who make driving a misery for the rest of us when we come across you on the road.

Agreed, you sound like a statistic waiting to happen, relax, you will get there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by ando

essen mein scheiße, ja?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

My granny has *all* categories on her licence (motorbikes, cars, truck, buses, . . .the lot! and has **never** done a test in any of them. She drives worse than those deadly-buzz joyriders.

Like the Little Old Lady from Pasadena? :D

(For anyone who doesn't know the song I'm talking about, click here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by ando

f*cking inconciderate/stupid/blind/incompetant/ignorant/incapable car drivers...

because it really is amazing how many you meet on a daily basis when your transport of choice is a two-wheeled one.

Originally posted by Stephen
    essen mein scheiße, ja?

You weren't over in Deutschland very long now, were you, Stephen? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

You need to take a chill pill. Getting worked up about stuff like that is going to send your blood pressure through the roof, or give you a heart attack. Or some driver with a shorter fuse than you will beat the crap out of you.

When I lived in Glasgow a friend of mine got cut up by a van on his way to work. So he gets in front of the van and cuts him up. At the next set of lights the two of them get out and start shouting at each other. The van driver reached in to the van, pulled out a wheel brace and smacked him a few times with it. My friend ended up with his jaw broken in two places, a fractured skull, dangerous driving and breach of the peace convictions. The van driver got off with it as well - he claimed he was defending himself from a lunatic who cut him up, jumped out of his car and started screaming at him. A CCTV traffic camera showed my friend cutting the other guy up and jumping out of the car, and some passerby saw him screaming at the van driver. The first cut-up wasn't caught on camera, so it was the van driver's word against his. Now all that hassle's not worth it 'cos someone cuts you up, is it?

Just repeat to yourself: Goosfraba. Goosfraba. Goosfraba ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

at the end of my road there is a stop sign and the road is marked accordingly. when going off the main road onto the road with the stop sign (and its not just on my road. it happens everywhere) why the hell do the cars turning off the main road cut the corner and almost always cause a car approaching the stop sign, but stil a few meter s away to brake hard so as not to hit the ass hole.
    If people drove within the markings as they were supposed to be there would be less accidents.

Advertisement