Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Houllier hanging on by a thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I am glad that the board are pushing for a change but they need a better replacement than either Curbishley or McLaren. I dont rate these managers as being the creme de la creme and if anything they could be a step backwards!

In terms of bringing Kenny back, although he is at Anfield for every match the word is that he will be the higher up in the board room rather than as a manager. I do think he has been out of the pressure scene for too long to be able to come back to it, considering that he left the Liverpool post at one stage due to pressure.

The problem Liverpool now have is getting a replacement that is better than Houllier. Martin O'Neill might be worth a try although I think many people really over-rate his skills. His style works particularly well at Celtic in a 2-team league but he will find it tougher in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Maybe this could be it for him? He has bought bad players and in the last season or two hasnt done much in the League so imo he should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Mourinho is the new name on the list as well as the Valencia manager. Do 'Pool really think that they can attract these managers (maybe if England win Euro 2004)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Its funny that if Paul Scholes "goal" had not been wrongly disallowed, Mourinho's name would probably be nowhere to be seen in any shortlist drawn up by Chelsea and Liverpool. Now some people think Liverpool would be beneath him!

A lot of reports say he'd prefer Liverpool to Chelsea, but Chelsea are offering £3.5m while Liverpool have made no approach yet - and they currently pay their manager £1.5m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by redspider
    Martin O'Neill might be worth a try although I think many people really over-rate his skills. His style works particularly well at Celtic in a 2-team league but he will find it tougher in england.
    He managed Wycombe to promotion 2 seasons in a row. He got Leicester to the premiership. He won the league cup with Leicester to qualify for the UEFA cup. I ended a decade of Rangers dominating the SPL by winning the treble in his first season at Celtic and since than has only failed to win the league once. Got to the UEFA cup final and hasn't been beaten at home in Europe in I don't know how long. Spotted talent such as Balde, Varga, Pearson and signed them for little or no money. He also spent his money wisely and never wasted large amounts. I think he would do well at any club tbh.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

HOULLIER IS GONE! There'll be an official announcement by the club next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

and your source????

An agent for Gerard Houllier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Spotted talent such as Balde,

I am sorry, everytime I read these kinda statements I fall into fitz of laughter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I am sorry, everytime I read these kinda statements I fall into fitz of laughter!
    Me too, Martin O'Neill truly is a genius as he took Varga from being a misfit at Sunderland to being a top defender at Celtic. Lets be honest all you need to be a good centre-half in Scotland is to be a good header of the ball and very strong, oh and can kick a ball half the length of the pitch at a minimum heigth of 30 feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by thegills
    Me too, Martin O'Neill truly is a genius as he took Varga from being a misfit at Sunderland to being a top defender at Celtic. Lets be honest all you need to be a good centre-half in Scotland is to be a good header of the ball and very strong, oh and can kick a ball half the length of the pitch at a minimum heigth of 30 feet.

And in the Champions League and Uefa cup :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yea whatever

Originally posted by thegills
    Clean sheets against Lyon, Bayern and 2 against Barca. The year before clean sheets against Celtic Vigo, Blackburn x2, Liverpool and Boavista. These 30 footers must be good. Balde also got Celtic's player of the year last season.

JTG - Stop trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

In fairness to Celtic they are only the second ever club to hold Barcelona scoreless over two legs.

The only other team to do that was the mighty Liverpool:D

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Clean sheets against Lyon, Bayern and 2 against Barca. The year before clean sheets against Celtic Vigo, Blackburn x2, Liverpool and Boavista. These 30 footers must be good. Balde also got Celtic's player of the year last season.

JTG - Stop trolling.

What about my post suggest I am trolling? If you do a search on previous posts you will see my opinion was the same 6 months ago! He is an old fashioned centre half and the every team in the SPL makes him look good. He has played ok in Europe and I contribute this to his sheer mass, European strikers are just not used to him. However, if they played against him week on week that would change very quickly. He would be merely average in the English Premiership.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132947&highlight=balde

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115783&highlight=balde

Flood of offers swamps Anfield
    May 21, 2004
    By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo
    LIVERPOOL have been bombarded with applications for the manager's post, even though a decision on Gerard Houllier's future won't be revealed until next week.

And emerging as an early front-runner to take over should Houllier depart is Valencia's Rafael Benitez.

No decision on Houllier, (right), is likely this weekend.

David Moores is currently on a break in Scotland.

It will be next week before a statement is made by the club either retaining his services or bringing Houllier's six-year reign to an end.

As speculation grows, representatives of several managers interested in the post have been trying to contact Liverpool officials.

The Reds are refusing to enter any such discussions. They have too much respect for the boss to openly court the attention of other managers while Houllier is still in charge.

But it has been an eyeopening few days for board members as potential successors manoeuvre into position.

Interested parties were pushing candidates' names forward in number even before it emerged Houllier's position was under review.

Benitez is believed to be desperate to meet Liverpool and discuss a possible move to Anfield.

Having led Valencia to a championship and UEFA Cup double this season, he's eyeing the chance to test himself in the Premiership.

Benitez began his coaching career with Real Madrid where he trained the 'B' side. He moved to Tenerife before success-fully moving to Valencia.

Whether Liverpool would recruit a European coach with a proven track record or go for someone with Premiership experience is another matter.

Charlton's Alan Curbishley is highly-rated, for example, but it would represent a risk to recruit someone who is unproven at such a huge club as Liverpool.

Porto's Jose Mourinho is also being touted by his representatives, but he's still favourite to join Chelsea when Claudio Ranieri is sacked.

With European knowledge, a track record and Premiership experience, it could be Ranieri who fits the bill at Anfield best of all should the board find itself in a position where they're seeking a new boss.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    What about my post suggest I am trolling? If you do a search on previous posts you will see my opinion was the same 6 months ago! He is an old fashioned centre half and the every team in the SPL makes him look good. He has played ok in Europe and I contribute this to his sheer mass, European strikers are just not used to him. However, if they played against him week on week that would change very quickly. He would be merely average in the English Premiership.

I think you've been proven wrong time and time again, but won't open your eyes and see his performances in Europe.

How many ways is it possible to re-write the same story?

Young guns of Europe trained on Anfield
    May 21, 2004
    Chris Bascombe looks at who is likely to be the Liverpool manager next season
    IF the Anfield directors didn't know already the job title 'Liverpool manager' is one of the most coveted in world football, they've realised now.

Over the last few days, the club has been deluged with phone calls from agents and representatives claiming to speak on behalf of some of Europe's top bosses.

Those same agents have a hotline to sports desks across the continent, desperate for their man to be linked with the Reds' hotseat.

They are clearly doing their job. Martin O'Neill,

Rafael Benitez, Alan Curbishley and Jose Mourinho will feel they have been well served by their agents as they head the list of favourites.

As the most talented young coaches in Europe, they are worthy of consideration. Only one problem: There's no vacancy yet.

The approaches have had to be met with a polite refusal to discuss the matter further unless the situation changes.

Liverpool have too much respect for Gerard Houllier to actively start seeking a successor when the decision to replace him still has not officially been taken.

But the club is also aware every manager in Europe would welcome the chance to manage Liverpool, with the possible exception of Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and David Moyes.

Aside from that trio, there is not a manager in the Premier-ship, nor the Champions League, who would refuse an approach to meet the Liverpool board. Why? For precisely the reason which has earned chairman

David Moores so much criticism over the last few weeks.

As events this week prove, Liverpool do not like sacking managers and that is a persuasive bargaining tool when you want to recruit the best coaches in the world.

The word from Mourinho's camp is he would rather join Liverpool than Chelsea. The wages may not be as high and he may not have as much money to spend but, barring disaster, he is guaranteed at least four years to win the title.

At Chelsea, any new boss will have to win the league and reach the Champions League final to improve on Ranieri's reign. He could be under pressure by Christmas.

At Anfield, if a new boss collects 70 points, wins the League Cup, reaches the later stages of Europe and gets the team playing entertaining football in his first year, he may be perceived as a potential Messiah.

Considering the potential still at the club, Liverpool are the most attractive of European giants.

With so much interest in a job which is still not available, the Reds face a huge dilemma.

We are currently in the midst of an endgame which will ultimately lead to a statement which says Houllier is no longer manager or, more improbably, he is being given one more chance.

Those who recall the Graeme Souness fiasco in the summer of 1994 will know the club has previous when it comes to standing by their man when every other indicator was he was on his way.

The longer they go without making a decision to either retain or dismiss Houllier, the longer they risk missing out on some outstanding candidates to replace him.

There is also a danger of public sympathy switching back to the manager as the fans, even those who believe it is time he left, see him being hung out to dry.

The vultures are not just circling around Houllier now - they have begun their descent.

Each day, a new name will enter the frame.

But when the job applications arrive, there is still sure to one above all others which Moores is going to find difficult to ignore.

That is the plea from Houllier him-self asking for one last chance.

WHO COULD BE IN CHARGE OF REDS NEXT SEASON?

ALAN CURBISHLEY, CHARLTON
    Would bring a dignity to the job as one of the most respected, young English managers. The question is, "Is he just a bit too Cockney to be considered as a Liverpool boss?"

RAFAEL BENITEZ, VALENCIA
    Beat Real Madrid to La Liga with a limited budget this season. The Valencia manager wants to be ered if a vacancy arrives. His limited English could work against him.

JOSE MOURINHO, PORTO
    The Porto coach is hot property having taken his side into the Champions League final. Thought to be Chelsea bound, he's privately keen to talk to Liverpool.

GORDON STRACHAN
    The last time Liverpool employed a fiery, eccentric Scot was in 1959. Strachan was a success at Southampton, but how long does he want to stay away from football?

MARTIN O'NEILL, CELTIC
    A hot tip for some time, but, contrary to reports, not the first choice. O'Neill's only chance would be if every other candidate turned the job down.

STEVE McCLAREN, MIDDLESBRO
    Another up-and-coming, highly respected young manager. Has been reasonably successful at Middlesbrough, but has a reputation for building a cautious team.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    What about my post suggest I am trolling?
    This thread had nothing to do with whether you think Balde was good or bad. We all know how you feel about Balde, what is your problem that you have to slag him of every time you see his name?
    If you watched him with an open mind (I get the feeling you are watching him to catch his mistakes) you will see that he is far from old fashioned.As for his mass, Balde is 6'3 and 13st 6lb. Sol Campbell is 6'2 and 14st 1lb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

From football365,
    Reading Between The Lines
    From The Guardian: 'Liverpool have started their search for a successor to Gérard Houllier...

'...Liverpool Chairman David Moores has "departed on a family holiday to Scotland".'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More on Mourinho

http://www.footymad.net/leagues/loadfnws.asp?id=160474&teamno=342
    FC Porto's highly-rated young manager Jose Mourinho is emerging as the bookmakers favourite to take charge at Anfield next season.

With rumours indicating that Liverpool are ready to rival Chelsea for the services of Mourinho, StanleyBet have installed the Portugese manager as 9/4 favourite to replace under-fire current Anfield incumbent Gerard Houllier.

Celtic's Martin O'Neill is second favourite alongside Alan Curbishley and the beleaguered Houllier to be manager at the start of next season at 7/2, with Valencia coach Rafael Benitez and former Kop hero Kenny Dalglish outsiders at 10/1.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Id say the reason why Mourinho would like Liverpool ahead of Chelski is cos he will get 4/5 years at liverpool were as with chelski if he doesnt win something in his first season he'll prolly get the boot.....like the only thing Ranieri could have done better without wining would be the CL final....I reckon Mourinho would fancy himself after 4/5 years at liverpool to have gotten them up the table somewhat...while chelsea will probably go thru 2/3 managers in that time....united might have changed manager by then too.....makes sense from his point of view....I think the whole houllier one year left thing could be important too, liverpool prolly dont fancy using the first bit of mr. thai's money to pay off the old manager....that said wiegh up the overall loss of the 60 vs the 1.5/2mil? could be worth in the long run.

I reckon McLaren would do a great job there, super coach, can only imagine the kinda talent he would get with the 60 mil....hes done a great job at boro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Houllier to resign.:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I feel I should add some more comment since I brought up Martin O'Neill in this thread and opinions on him are quite strong.

Martin is a good manager, there is no doubt about that, but I dont think so far he has proved himself beyond doubt that he is a great manager. I know that sounds a bit like a Dunphy-ism, and no-one wants to sound like that stirrer, but O'Neill has done well in some environments such as at Celtic where he had more capacity (money) to do things than elsewhere. Celtic are not a small club and should be competing on the European stage.

But whether he can take Liverpool to where they want to go (at least one premiership and doing reasonable in the CL - quarters/semis) I'm not so sure. I dont think Martin is as much of a "god" as some people claim, thats all. Wherever he goes after Celtic it will be interesting to see how he does with whatever "material" he has at his disposal.

(By the way, it was Wim Jansen that won with Celtic to prevent Rangers 10 in a row and stop their decade of domination, not Martin).

If he does go to Liverpool I hope he does well and I think it or another top position is the obvious next step for his career.

I dont think Liverpool should go with Curbishely or McLaren. I dont know enough about Mourinho's. Isn't anyone talking yet about Ranieri or O'Leary. I'm sure the reports that show there are lots of interest could bring in a few surprising candidates - the more candidates the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

While I think O'Leary wouldn't be a bad candidate, and that he might be interested in the job, he's not going to publicly declare his interest in becoming Liverpool manager as he is very close friends with Foollier and wouldn't want to be seen to undermine his precarious position.

There really are some quality candidates out there atm, it's hard to decide which one would suit the 'Pool better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Its funny that if Paul Scholes "goal" had not been wrongly disallowed, Mourinho's name would probably be nowhere to be seen in any shortlist drawn up by Chelsea and Liverpool. Now some people think Liverpool would be beneath him!
    That's weird because I seem to remember prior to that 'goal' Porto were in fact the reigning UEFA cup champions and the team that easily beat Utd in the first leg? Or was I just dreaming all that achievement?

Fact is Mourinho was already a class act before knocking Utd out of the CL was already a well respected and sought after manager across Europe. If he 'allegedly' wasn't on certain teams shortlists before that match it was probably because said clubs WERE ALREADY beneath him - and not because he was beneath said clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by redspider
    Isn't anyone talking yet about Ranieri or O'Leary. I'm sure the reports that show there are lots of interest could bring in a few surprising candidates - the more candidates the better.

What has Ranieri done? He has managed some of Europes biggest clubs, yet he has never won a league title.

I dont want to see a foreign manager, I would love to see O'Neill, I cant belive people are doubting his pedigree, every team he has managed has played above themselves, and he has turned absolute nobodys into serious players.

Houllier Remains Defiant
    Under-fire Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier remains defiant that he will still be manager next season despite growing speculation over his future.
    The Frenchman has seen his future the subject of intense speculation in the last few days after the end of the season.

The likes of Porto's Jose Mourinho, Valencia's Rafa Benitez and Martin O'Neill have all been mentioned as possible replacements for Houllier.

Liverpool officials have refused to comment on Houllier's position and they are set to meet to discuss plans for the future.

Houllier is not worried about all the speculation and insists he will still be an Anfield for the start of next season.

"I am 100 percent sure I will be here next season," said Houllier.

"The directors of the club are aware that the team has qualified three times for the Champions League in the last six years.

"I can't prevent or stop the rumours, but the speculation is a load of rubbish. I am currently having meetings with the chief executive preparing for next season."

I see Strachan is being mentioned in some papers this morning!!

Thought he had personal problems he needed to sort and thats why he left Southampton:confused:

It seems there are 4 names in the frame - Strachen, Curbishley, Mourinhro (sp) and the Valentia coach Benitez. NO O'Neill (who may be miffed now!)

Gerrard wants Curbs, Owen wants the Valentia guy apparently....whether a word of this can be relied upon is another matter!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

O' Neill recently won a court-case against some paper for linking him to the Liverpool job a year or so ago, didn't he? Perhaps papers are reluctant to link him without any sort of evidence!

For what it's worth, I'd take Mourihno, O' Neill, Benitez in that order. I'm not keen on Curbishley or McLaren at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I'd take Mourihno, O' Neill, Benitez in that order

I'd take Benitez and Mourinho before O'Neill. If one of them gets the job, decides to take one or 2 of his players with him, who would you prefer. Valeron & Luque, Deco & Paolo Ferreira or Neil Lennon & Bobo Balde ? ;)

I dont know where the rumours of Benitez are coming from, why on earth would he leave Valencia? After winning the UEFA cup and Spanish league surely he would want to give the champions league a crack with a team capable of winning it. Liverpool would be a step backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What reallys bugs me about Houiller is how is deals with Patridge.
    even without injury problems he wasn't getting the anwser he deserved.

Right winger Ireland needs :/

originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    I dont know where the rumours of Benitez are coming from
    The tabloids, teletext etc. His agent said that Rafa would be happy to talk to Liverpool if they were approached. Fingers crossed for me.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    The tabloids, teletext etc. His agent said that Rafa would be happy to talk to Liverpool if they were approached. Fingers crossed for me.

Fingers crossed indeed. But realistically can you see a manager leaving a team that has just won La Liga and the UEFA cup for Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

A lot of the Sunday papers seem to think Houllier is as good as gone.
    I'd like to see Rafa Benitez take the helm but why would he leave the best team in Spain for the fourth best in England? Its certainly not for the weather. I just hope we don't get Ranieri.

why would he leave the best team in Spain for the fourth best in England?
    to get a chance of turning a sleeping giant into one of the greatest teams in the world of course. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Benitez leaving Valencia for Liverpool would be like Wenger leaving Arsenal for lets say Barcelona. Granted both Liverpool and Barcelona have some great history but both Wenger and Benitez are on the verge of taking their respective teams to the highest level, so whats the point in leaving now?

Its is perfectly concievable that Benitez would leave Valencia for a once great team.. He has been there 3 years and won two titles during that period. Valencia are a big club but still no where near the scale of Liverpool. Leaving a handy number in Valencia and coming to Liverpool witht the potential of making them one of the greats again would be very inviting for any manager... Also, considering the support the Liverpool board consistently show their managers and the funds they can make available would make it very inviting!!

Regardless of recent form, Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world, thus any manager would be interested!

• Advertisement

OK BIG rumour warning on this but:

My brother was playing golf yesterday with a soccer agent and he told him Strachan would be announced as manager on Wednesday.

I don't believe it but said I'd let you know anyway.

ROFL!

If the red-head is unveiled I'll eat my monitor (and it'll still be plugged in!). :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Houllier has been sacked. Official announcement to follow later in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    Looks like it wont be Benitez.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1136478,00.html
    Classic denial, he'll be in by the end of the week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Check the LFC website at midday for confirmation

Liverpool FC . TV

Advertisement