Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first star trek memory

Options
  • 21-05-2004 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

My first memory was when i was 4 or mabe 3 and i remember watching it with my mom and my first memory is Macoy saying "god jim im beginning to think i can cure a rainy day" and ive been watching it ever since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my first star trek memory i think was walking by the video shop and seeing a poster for generations and me going jesus is there another one of those films out even though i knew nothing about star trek.

my first contact (pun inteneded :)) with star trek was due to the late late show which i used to hate and there wasn't much else on t.v on fridays nights and i started watching TNG on sky one at 10, it just happened to be airing in the first season when i started watching it.

data

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Pretty sure my first memory of it was that episode of TOS where they were in some sort of a cave and there was some sort of a "being" made out of like cement that was dying. As in, "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

Next encounter with it would have been a drunk Data trying to replace isolinear chips real fast. That's the one that got me watching it. Never really liked TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The earliest i can remember of watching trek is watching the documentary on sky one with johnaton frakes giving a behind the scenes of the series finale. Im sure i watched it before then too, just can't remember. I remember thinking 'ohhh so THATS how they put the cameras on the enterprise....' Of course not realising at such a precious age that such a show is ficticious, stupid kids... lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

either the cartoon or that next generation episode with the little crawly things that get into your neck... scary,scary stuff! thats the first one i remember anyway cuz it scared the bejesus outta me!

Funny you should say that because i now remember watching the tng animated series too. And i distinctly remember worf looking ALOT different in the cartoon than on the tv show. It was like he was... an alien... or something. Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

it wasnt the next gen one ...it was the cartoon of the old series

no one believes me when i tell them this, but trust me there was a tng animated series too. i can remember it in my head clear as day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think it was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, with those horrific little insect things that went into ears :dunno:
    Then it was Patrick Stewart introducing a brand new series on Network 2 - Star Trek: The Next Generation... And so it remains until I stopped watching once Deep Space Nine ended and nothing good came since...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

If there was a TNG animated it was both unoffical and non cannon.
    I am suprised at how late in pples lives they began to watch star trek.
    I didnt know i was such a oldie. It messed me up allot , made me mature ALLOT faster than those my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    my first star trek memory i think was walking by the video shop and seeing a poster for generations and me going jesus is there another one of those films out even though i knew nothing about star trek.

my first contact (pun inteneded :)) with star trek was due to the late late show which i used to hate and there wasn't much else on t.v on fridays nights and i started watching TNG on sky one at 10, it just happened to be airing in the first season when i started watching it.

data

YOU ONLY STARTED WATCHING TREK IN 1995!!!! how did you become mod of this board you USELESS git.

I started watching star trek when TNG started because my older brother was into it at the time so i watched it to....Havent looked back since then i was like 4-5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by ixoy
    I think it was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, with those horrific little insect things that went into ears :dunno:
    Yeah that's my first Trek memory aswell, you don't forget something like that in a hurry. :eek:

I never really liked Star Trek until I started watching TNG, can't remember which episode hooked me though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

origional series. there was a rock monster and workers who were tunneling were crushing its eggs. was on at about 5 on sky one in the early 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

TOS- Genghis Kahn vs Abraham Lincoln :)
    Originally posted by joe_chicken
    ...it was the cartoon of the old series
    I used to watch that every morning, compleatly forgot about it

cheers for the reminder ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

First memory was a documentery on BBC 2 about star trek presented by leonard Nimoy. I didnt give it much attention as but left it on because there was sports on all the other channels.

I saw a promo for the original series and watched the Cage when it was first shown on Sky. If i remember rightly it was a Sunday night when the Cage was on Sky

St the next generation started on 5 october 1992, why that date sticks out in my mind I do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

TOS ep 'Day of the Dove' on BBC2 in 1992.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i think it was a game on the snes i was playing in a friends house and i thought to myself it was a cool game and then i watched the old series on sky1 from there on and also the next generation was on sky1 monday nites i think :D fun fun

wow 3 off us, our first episodes where the same, the one with the rock monster thing and macoy says "god jim im beginning to htink i can cure a rainy day"

Ahh must have been tos then. Dunno why it stuck out in my head as tng tho. Could have sworn it was tng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

My earlist memory or star trek was a good few years ago now, i was watching something on tv, i fell asleep watching it, a few hours later i woke up, one of the first few episodes of voyager was on, i went to change the channel but the control was on the other side of the room and i was too lazy to get it, so i watched voyager even though i wouldve normally change straight away, voyager led to TNG,TNG led to enterprise, havent seen much of the original series tbh.

DS9?

I would reccemend everyone watch episode 9 of the TOS.
    It was the first romulan episode
    Also the tribbles episode and there arew a few others. I must buy TOS TNG DS9 VOY ENT X-Files and SG1 on DVD, it will cost a few thousand and will take a few years to get the money - first i need a job, but i love being a bum so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

An uncle of mine was a complete sci-fi nut, so whenever we'd visit my grandparents place he'd be watching trek.

I seem to remember the films with the original cast more than the series, which I got into later on. I think my first encounter with star trek was The Wrath of Khan when I was 6 or 7 (some bits of it were pretty scary for a kid), and its still my favourite trek movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

We used to go for tea at my grandmother's house every Sunday and TNG would be on RTÉ. My father thought it was a good show for us to watch because the characters sopke good English! However, at the time, I used to laugh at the special fx and say that the planets you could see out of the window on the bridge were just stickers. What sacrilege! I only became a real ST fan the year I was doing my Junior Cert - we got Sky at home and I used to watch TNG (and DS9 to a lesser degree) religiously. I even managed to convert my best friend who hated sci-fi to the show. Woot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i remember seeing an kirk episode with those blue guys with really fat bubbly heads a long time ago

Advertisement