Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6610 - Help! problem with GPRS Settings

Options
  • 21-05-2004 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just got a Nokia 6610 and I wanted to get the GPRS settings set up on it. I called O2 customer care, and they said they would go through the settings with me on the phone (as they couldn't send out the settings)
    They told me to go to: -
    Menu -> Services ->Settings -> and something like 'Edit active service settings'. The trouble is, I have nothing like that on the phone.
    All I have is :

Menu -> Services ->Settings -> Appearance Settings

Menu -> Services ->Settings ->Cookie Settings

Menu -> Services ->Settings -> Authority Certificates

Menu -> Services ->Settings -> Service Inbox Settings

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to enter the GPRS settings.

Please help. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Could it possibly need a software update? If so, where can I get this done?

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

1. Press Menu, and select Services, and Settings.
    2. Select Active service settings.
    You need to activate the set where you want to save the service settings. A set
    is a collection of settings needed for making a connection to a WAP service.
    3. Scroll to the set you would like to activate and press Activate.

then refer to p117 - p119 of the user guide ;)
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,4699,00.html

and check the Operator Settings Thread or try O2 agan now you can see what to enter...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by dcGT
    I called O2 customer care, and they said they would go through the settings with me on the phone (as they couldn't send out the settings).

that's weird, i just rang them and they sent them out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by DubWireless
    1. Press Menu, and select Services, and Settings.
    2. Select Active service settings.

There's the problem, there is no 'Active service settings' :dunno:

The phone is perfect apart from this weird menu thing. Everything else works fine. It does have the 'services option' and option to go to 'Home' but when I select it, it says 'check home page address'

I just found out that the phone was shipped to the US originally. Now I'm wondering if a software upgrade will do the trick?????

DC

ah - that would make a difference alright - unfortunately the US manual only goes so far as saying...

It shouldn’t be necessary to manually configure the browser on your
    phone. Normally this is done by your wireless provider once you’ve
    subscribed to the feature. Contact your wireless provider if you have
    problems using the browser.

http://downloads.nokiausa.com/userguides/6610.PDF

have you tried the O2 OTA settings service:
    http://web.o2.ie/personal/services/mobile_web/settings.jsp

as it was a US handset you may not be covered by warranty for the software upgrade... so you may have to cough up for it...

BrianG

Cheers for that DubWireless. Was just on to the Nokia Centre in Dawson St. (very nice people to deal with) and they said it's not covered by warranty as it's a US model, and that the software upgrade would cost €25. Don't really mind as I got the phone for very little. The current software version is V 4.18
    I've seen that there is a newer version of this anyway (V 5.XX). But the firmware/software upgrade _should_ sort out the menu problem in theory shouldn't it. The problem seems makes sense now as the US service providers supply all the settings automatically.

Thanks,

DC.

• Advertisement

the most recent one i see listed for the 6610 is the V5.52 19-09-03 - was it an ex-operator provided handset (now unlocked)?

the Telephone Centre's Nokia Service Point should be able to check if they can load this on your handset - your's sounds like it currently has some sort of customisation to the software/menu system

BrianG

Yeah that's the new version of the software I've seen around the web. I'm going to pop into the Telephone centre in a while and see if they can upgrade it.

Will let you know how I get on, fingers crossed they can sort it.

Thanks for the help!

DC.

Originally posted by DubWireless
    the most recent one i see listed for the 6610 is the V5.52 19-09-03 - was it an ex-operator provided handset (now unlocked)?
    Sorry, I never answered your question, yes I think it was an ex-operator handset.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sarahdb83

You can get the settings sent to your phone from nokia online at the following address:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,53591,00.html

Ok,
    So I called into the telephone centre. It turns out that they cannot upgrade/overwrite the software. They only upgrade the European software and cannot update the US version. Doh!

DC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement