Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB not working

• 21-05-2004 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having any problems? I can't access some Irish sites such as Komplett.ie or Hotmail and msn messanger won't sign it. I'm in Cork on the Douglas Exchange

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

YES!!!!!!!!!! My friend is having the same prob up here in Dublin..Out of Interest what modem do you have?? I have the blue Zxyel one but her's is black.....Mine was easier to set up - just install some drivers and the connection was automatically set up but she had to configure the modem and do all sorts of diagnostics......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I have the black modem with ethernet, The same thing happened last week and it was grand the next day. I rang IOL Tech support but they couldn't find any solution,

if it happens again i'm going to try my modem with my friends computer - if its the modem surely they'd have to do something about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I don't pretend to be an expert in all things techie... but surely if it was a modem problem then it would effect ALL websites and Internet connectivity.. not just a few and the problem would persist, it wouldn't resolve itself then come back... hardware isn't like that. If it's bust it's bust...

Perhaps the websites you were trying to access had some downtime or DNS server went down, or a link between IOL network and the networks the websites you mentioned are hosted on.

I know with MSN they have been experiencing problems over the last view days with Hotmail... and well Komplett... I've had a lot of problems in the past with their website anyway with scripting errors etc so maybe they were doing some updates...

X

The sites were find cos I could access them at the same time that she couldn't....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

No it wouldn't affect all sites it's up to the server to handle this - some handle it well others poorly. Your problem I'd wager dollars to donuts is to do with your MTU(Maximum Transmission Unit). That being the biggest possible packet that your modem will send, certain servers have problems accepting packets above 1500 bytes, they normally do not respond to you because they are badly configured and cannot accept packets that big. Other servers are properly configured and have no problem accepting big packets - these will work as normal.

So somehow your modems have started sending packets of 1500bytes> therefore you will afto correct this "mistake". If there is a reset you can perform on the modem it may solve your problems, another site that does not seem configured to accept 1500++ is iol.ie and also theinquirer.net. For some reason during this week my modem decided to set it's MTU to 1500+ and of course my net connection went to the toilet. I knew the cause immediately so I just reset my router and the problem went away.

From what I remember of the iol modem though there is no reset.....so I dont know what you can do, maybe a f/w flash?. I dont know why all our modems/routers decided to go and do this all of a sudden but since I wasn't the only one affected I would IOL made a cockup of some sort.

Advertisement